Need some clarification...

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Need some clarification...

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

In the rules it states, the roll bar must be padded where the driver may make contact in the event of a "whoops" I've seen different cars with different areas padded and that's what I need some help with.

While sitting in my car (strapped in, arm restraints on) I can't make contact with the areas I've normally seen padded. Is there a "standard" on what MUST be padded compared to what you THINK should be padded? I understand why you need the padding.I just can't really find a place that I'll actually NEED it compared to where I HAVE to have it.
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Re: Need some clarification...

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Adam,

I donot know if you have a cage or a bar but, you should cover any upper bars, door bars, and dash bars to at least the 1/2 way point across the car due to the fact that race belts will stretch alot in an accident. As a national scrutineer, you would be surprised how far the body travels and what it hits in a crash.

Rich Sweigart
Rich Sweigart
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Post by Joe Foering »

The rules say you must pad anywhere the driver can make contact with the bar/cage when sitted and harnessed in the car. It does not say pad where you think you'll make contact as your belts stretch upon impact, but I'd recommend padding where it looks like you'll make contact in an incident... You'd be amazed how far the belts will stretch!
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

OK, thanks guys. I'll pad above the driver and passenger head, and some of the exposed area between the seats. I really don't see contact being an issue at all but I'll take your word and make the effort. I'll also bring whatever spare padding I have left with me to the June 7th event just in case anything needs to be added that more experienced eyes can see.
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281