1982 Rx7 GS

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

AStaidle
Novice
Current Racecar: 1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

1982 Rx7 GS

Post by AStaidle »

So here begins a 1982 Mazda Rx7 GS project. Bought the car locally for $800 from a local guy. Has 70k on it, very well maintained (had the factory window sticker). Only missing the carburetors he had on it (they were a rare, dual Weber 36 setup). So this should be a great starting point. My goal is to run the Rose Valley Hill Climb (at least!) in July.

Currently i am stuck between ITA and CSP. I have to make some final decisions on this.
Last edited by AStaidle on Fri May 16, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Some people are afraid of heights, not me. I'm afraid of widths"

Visit my EBay Store --- http://stores.ebay.com/Ohio-Speed-Works

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Re: 1982 Rx7 GS - CSP

Post by Joe Foering »

You may have a problem with your brake mods and rear diff... What year is the GSL you're taking the rear from? Is it a non-turbo car? If it is not listed with the other RX7s shown under "Street Prepared Class C", the swap is not legal; further, allowable brake mods are ONLY those listed under "brakes" in the Stock Category section and those further brake mods allowed in the Street Prepared Category...this does NOT include swapping the rear brakes for discs. As they repeatedly state in the SOLO Rules (and in all the rules)- if it doesn't specifically allow the mod, it can't be done. The carb and master cylinder is OK. The trick with the SOLO rules is that they build on one another as the categorys progress from Stock to Street Prepared , etc., but,again, the only mods allowed are those stated.
AStaidle
Novice

Post by AStaidle »

Joe Foering wrote:You may have a problem with your brake mods and rear diff... What year is the GSL you're taking the rear from? Is it a non-turbo car? If it is not listed with the other RX7s shown under "Street Prepared Class C", the swap is not legal; further, allowable brake mods are ONLY those listed under "brakes" in the Stock Category section and those further brake mods allowed in the Street Prepared Category...this does NOT include swapping the rear brakes for discs. As they repeatedly state in the SOLO Rules (and in all the rules)- if it doesn't specifically allow the mod, it can't be done.
the GSL was a model trim of the same year listed cars (up to 1985) so i would just swapped over the entire axle assembly to comply. The GSL had disc brakes. So from what im reading in the Street Prepared rules, it fits under the updating / backdating as long as i use the entire axle assembly and not just the mounting and hubs stuffs, right?

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
Joe Foering
Novice

Post by Joe Foering »

When I have a question that I'm not sure of the correct answer, I call National-in this case, the SOLO people and they give me the "final" word; I'm waiting to hear from them as to the legality of the rear swap. Again, what specific year is the GSL and is it non-turbo?
Joe Foering
Novice

Post by Joe Foering »

Doug Gill of SOLO National, says the swap is legal as long as the car it came from is 85 or older and non-turbo. That's certainly a good swap! Make sure the car conforms to the TIME TRIALS safety requirements. Looking forward to seeing you on the hill.
AStaidle
Novice

Post by AStaidle »

great news!

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
AStaidle
Novice

Re: 1982 Rx7 GS - ITA

Post by AStaidle »

i hit a stock carb jackpot so im switching to ITA

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
AStaidle
Novice

Re: 1982 Rx7 GS - ITA

Post by AStaidle »

Joe, can you check to see what the ITA verdict is for using a GSLSE rear axle assembly?

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
Joe Foering
Novice

Re: 1982 Rx7 GS

Post by Joe Foering »

Without calling National-something anyone can do-I revert to the GCR... If it is the same make, model, body type and engine size (12A), and it comes from a car that is found on the same line - "Mazda RX7 (12A) (79-85)", it is a legal swap (if the car w/the LSD and discs has a 13B engine-it is not).