Hershey Recap

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Hershey Recap

Post by Ron Mann »

good times for some...others not so good!!!

Good showing of PHA drivers...

I'm bushed...I'll fill in more scoop later...start the thread!!

let it rip!
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Re: Hershey Recap

Post by Ron Mann »

I have no times...I'm sure they'll be posted soon.

Like I said...quite a few PHA'ers. Only two open wheeled cars...the Vees of Tom Hartman & Keith Bauer. Looks like the fastest time of the weekend went to, I think...Rex Franklin from New York (he did it last year as well). It looked to me that only 2 cars went sub 50 seconds the Midget & a Corvette. Not sure who are fastest was...might been Bill Miller in his new Audi Quattro, Rich Rock, Geoff Craig or Brian Kraus, I don't know!

Ryan Griffin's weekend ended a little sour with a pretty serious pounding of his Scirocco. He was fine...but the car is in bad shape. Chris Mower put the Chevette on it's side, again Chris was fine...car didn't look too bad. Dennis Williams got off course with the TR4.
Last edited by Ron Mann on Mon May 05, 2008 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

I was in line at the end of the day waiting to get a last run when all of the excitement seemed to really jump up and bite every car that did a run!
I was sitting at the start line when they decided to close the hill for the day, right behind Ryan.
He said his front wheel collapsed and folded under the car ending his day. I was sitting at the start line thinking I was going for a touring run any way after all the cars prior had gone off course somewhere, seemed like turn #1 was the culprit I think?
Dennis Williams was the car before Ryan and he banged his TR4 up pretty good, left drivers side was all banged in, think it was mostly cosmetic, should be able to be fixed? The car before him, I think it was a corvette, went off course too. I don't know if it was the fact that the course was really hooking up and everyone wanted to post a best time or if there was something on the track that was getting everyone? And the Orange 2002 BMW was left down in the ditch until later in the day I suppose, I hope the driver is ok, they took him to the hospital?
I know I wanted to try a really aggresive run until I saw what was going on up there? I am actually glad to be cut off after all that was happening, I didn't need to do any added repairs before the season gets going!
I really enjoyed the event, reminded me of the environment at Duryea back in the 70's with all the older cars and festivities! Was way cool!
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

That's right...Jon Coffin from New York launched his BMW off course, it was so deep in the woods, down in the hole before turn #1...it was hours after the event until they were able to drag it back up onto the road! I didn't hear how he made out...the car didn't look too bad when it finally came down on the rollback.

Mr2
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 911
Current Racecar: YELLOW-1991 TURBO MR2
and
WHITE-1993 TURBO MR2

Re: Hershey Recap *

Post by Mr2 »

Sunday was spectacular! Got some video to share.
Hope to participate in 2011 with my 1991 MR2.
Congrates! Great fun to watch you all...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmoGOdqphYI
Fabio D'Hillho Vlacci
#911 MR2 TURBO
http://www.HILLHO.com
http://www.eFABIO.com
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Ron Mann wrote:That's right...Jon Coffin from New York launched his BMW off course, it was so deep in the woods, down in the hole before turn #1...
I spoke to him and he wants to run at least Rose Valley.

This was of course before he crashed....
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
griffinbilt
Novice

Post by griffinbilt »

well i'm a little sore...the car is much worse. i'd like to thatk the safety guys and tech inspectors. i sheared a ball joint bolt ironically enough on the opposite side i was busted for at tech inspection. i know for a fact i did not use an oem bolt or schedule 8. it was a random bolt i picked from a bolt bin that happened to fit. i never imagined a mechanical failure would waist my car like how it did...never. i am soooo glad that 2 years ago, ozwalds were busting my balls about not having a 6 point roll cage. also rich rock with his seatbelts... my belts were tight as hell. i had to wiggle to slip into them. when that bolt gave, i a was going just shy or about 70mph. i've seen the in car video about 100 times and there was nothing i could do one way or the other. bottom line, everyone should have a 6 point roll cage. if i had a 4 point the car would have crumpled and folded at the driver seat. i hit hard enough to bend schedule 40 steel into my pedals. i broke the concrete barrier. i am reminded of a quote that evil kenevil once said when asked if he was worried about jumping the grand canyon. he said "i'm not worried about the jump, i'm worried about 50 cent parts.." in a race car you really do got to go above and beyond. sorry to anybody who had their 5th run canceled. and oh yeah, keep your ears to the ground for anybody with a scirocco shell.
i'll be working at weatherly. in the meanwhile i'll be trying to figure out how to upload videos to the interweb
**Mr. Exictement Himself**
1988 #767gt3 scirocco
Mazdahead
Novice

Post by Mazdahead »

Glad you are OK Ryan! After all the other issues on the hill I actually decided I was doing a touring run after you. I guess the hill was turned off in time before more happened. I found out the same thing last year with attention to details and small parts killing your weekends. Little problems become big problems real quick! My son in Law is a VW mechanic, I will ask him if he knows of any shells? Ready to move into an RX-7? lol
s4racing
Novice

Post by s4racing »

Just want to Thank everyone involved for a great weekend. The winters are way too long around here. I have been going crazy for the last few months without racing or hanging out with some of you guys. It was truly a great weekend and my new car did better, than I had hoped. Here is a video from Sunday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLWLb1wSjwo .

I am going to have special parking and a hospitality area, right inside gate 3 at the Import Show next week. We all ready have 10 to 15 race cars and cool street cars committed and we would love to have more. Tim from Grassroots Motorsports will be doing an article on the Audi and he is always looking for interesting content, so who knows what might happen if you bring your car along. Worse case I'm sure I could talk him into doing a group picture for one of the issues. I have to talk to Lance, but I may even try to swing a keg of adult beverage. Here is the link to the activities for the entire weekend [urlhttp://www.carlisleevents.com/ce/events/import/[/url] . Take special notice to the drag races Friday night. I think, I might run the Yellow #06 Audi. Everybody always ask me what it runs, so I may as well find out. It is not mandatory, but if you think you are going to make it, please send me an email at Bill3@CarlisleEvents.com, so I know how to plan the parking. Also, if you have any good racing DVDs I plan to have a TV setup (weather permitting).

Thanks again and I can't wait for Summit,

Bill III
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

Glad to hear you are ok Ryan!! I'll put some feelers out for another Rocco...you may want to contact this place. Last time I was there, he had a few Mk2 Scirocco rides sitting around!

Great videos Bill & Fabio....I should have had a video of you (Bill) rallying out of the meadow on Sunday!!

s4racing
Novice

Post by s4racing »

That must have been Tonya driving on the way home :shock:
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Jon Coffin is no stranger to our hillclimbs. He goes way back. I got to know him from him running at Duryea with his Rabbit GTI. We were both in DSP at the time (maybe 1998?). I'm not sure if the BMW was his. Had dinner with him and his co-driver Saturday night and never asked who owned the car.

I came down with a virus on Sunday and didn't know what was happening. I'd like to hear how he is doing. Let me know if you hear anything.

Dave Y.
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

I saw Jon after he was released on Sunday -- got back just before 7:00 PM. He said he was ok. In fact, he was already plotting to find a shell for the 2002, but the damage didn't look that bad.

Grace
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

s4racing wrote:That must have been Tonya driving on the way home :shock:
hmmmmm, I guess :wink: regardless...it looked awesome!!

Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

gdh57 wrote:I saw Jon after he was released on Sunday -- got back just before 7:00 PM. He said he was ok. In fact, he was already plotting to find a shell for the 2002, but the damage didn't look that bad.

Grace
Your Grace (or for that matter anyone):

If you can get in touch with Jon...It so happens that a 2002 shell (roller) is listed in the BMWCCA Roundel (347-680-7598 which is NYC)...it's even in the same state.
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

I don't have contact info for him; hopefully someone else does...

So how about finding a Scirocco shell for Ryan now? :)

Grace
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

I think Bob Marx has a few in his junk yard, hopfully he will chime in and say so, what about Dave Yeager? must know where to find one.
THOR
see ya'll at Jeffersion
fv70
Mazdahead
Novice

Post by Mazdahead »

Ryan,

I PM'ed you with info for a shell. Hope it helps.

Dale
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

No, Bob does not have a good shell. I do have one but I'm hording that for a future project. Carl Hindman has one but I thought it might be too rusty to use. You can call him at 610-247-5938 after work hours.

Dave Y.
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

I just talked to Jon Coffin. He was not the driver. The car owner Carl ??? was driving, the throttle stuck, hense the results. The trip to the Hospital was being over cautious. Damage to the car is not terminal.

I got to hear a couple of stories on difficulties with officials, overreactions, authority conflicts and an incident of my own that enforces my opinions about the event and it's organizers. We do not realize how lucky we are in the PHA to have competent, rational thinking staff running our events. Every time I go to Hershey I vow to not go back again. Than again, maybe it beats staying home. Always good to hang out with like minded friends.

Dave Y.