Whats in your Mental Toolbox????

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Whats in your Mental Toolbox????

Post by Mwilson »

I stumbled across this article that I thought was great and just wanted to share it with all of you.

Saturday
Your Mental Tool Box!

Every year I conduct a workshop at the Drag News Magazine Expo. In January, 2008 I did a workshop called, "the Mental Tool Box." We all have a tool box we take to the race track full of tools we need to work on the race car, but we also need to make sure our mental tool box has the right tools. At the Expo I asked the racers who attended my seminar and completed the survey the following question, “If you could give just one piece of advice to a racer to help them win, what would that piece of advice be?” I thought this would be a pretty interesting question and I received a wide range of answers and I want to share some of them.
1.) Stay Focused. Concentrate. Stay in the present. Focus on the task at hand. Be in the here and now! Don’t be distracted. Don’t let your surroundings interfere with your concentration. Take it one round at a time.
2.) Be positive. Have a positive mental attitude. Give it all you got!
3.) Race your own race. Never be intimidated by the other car or driver.
4.) Be the same all of the time. Be consistent. Have a good routine.
5.) Practice. Seat time.
6.) Preparation. Prepare everything. Check and recheck everything!
7.) Visualize. See what you are going to do.
8.) Be comfortable in your car. Know your vehicle. Have the best car you can.
9.) Relax. Stay calm. Don’t get stressed. Don’t choke. Keep cool (have a cool head). Relax and do your thing!
10.) Have confidence. Believe in yourself. Learn to trust your gut. Make your moves on instinct.
11.) Have fun.
12.) Don’t give up. Be Patient!
13.) Don’t be afraid to lose. Deal with losing. Learn from failures.
14.) Listen to people that know what they are doing. The above list was really pretty darn good and I think it is good to remind ourselves about the above list. I would also like to point out that at my seminar there were some fantastic racers, some of these people have won a lot of races and some have raced for a long time, so I think this list is pretty complete.

So what's in your mental tool box? What do you need to work on and add to your tool box to help take you to the winners circle?

All great ideas and suggestions but I think the most important one is number 11, "HAVE FUN."