ANNUAL TECH INSPECTION-2008

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

ANNUAL TECH INSPECTION-2008

Post by Joe Foering »

The 2008 season is literally just around the corner and now is the time for all competitors to prepare their vehicle for competition and, firstly, to ensure that their car is ready for its' Annual Tech Inspection.
The GCR, SOLO and TIME TRIALS Rules are online at scca.org and are a MUST READ for all competitors. You can't properly prepare your car unless you know the proper class and the rules relating to car preparation and safety.
What follows are a few of the items covered in an Annual Tech Inspection...ALL of the relevant specifications and rules relating to these items are found in the appropriate rule books. It is your responsibility as a competitor to be aware of them and prepare your car correctly.
This year Matt Rowe, NEDIV TIME TRIALS MANAGER, has asked that the driver be harnessed in their car with their helmet on when the Annual Tech is done. This allows us to confirm that open cars meet the 2" rule with respect to helmet to main hoop (closed cars' main hoop should be as close to the roof as possible) and see that the safety harness is current and properly installed (see TIME TRIALS or GCR for specs).
A MASTER (KILL) SWITCH, if required or installed, MUST shut off ALL electrical circuits effectively shutting off the engine. To quote Jeremy Thoennes, Technical Services Manager, at National: "...the rules require a master switch that cuts all the electrical circuits. Once all circuits have been cut a test light ccould be used to verify that there is no voltage at any point in the system. A QUICKER TEST WOULD BE TO VERIFY THAT THE ENGINE SHUTS OFF WITH THE SWITCH. Obviously if the car is still running the system has not been properly cut and voltage would be present at the alternator, battery, etc." (see rule books-they all say the same) There are a variety of "Kill" switches available- 2 pole, 4 pole- that will accomplish this.
LOGBOOK: Both Level 3 and Level 4 require a completed TIME TRIALS logbook with photos and all appropriate info filled in. If you don't have one, you can get one at your annual tech. If you have one and just haven't completed it-photos, for example-please do so (see TTR).
The TTR, both Level 3 and 4, show what is covered in an Annual Tech Inspection; there should be no reason, therefore, why a car shouldn't "pass" on its' first tech. Please read the rule books and become familiar with what pertains to your car. Ask an appropriate person, a tech inspector for example, if you have any questions. It is not our intent or purpose to give people a "hard time" about their car, only to see that everyone competes in a legal and safe car.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Re: ANNUAL TECH INSPECTION-2008

Post by Matt Rowe »

Thanks for providing this heads up Joe!

With regards to my request that we look at belts and roll bar heights with people in the cars this is primarily driven by concerns expressed throughout the season on belt installation. Several people at the start line raised questions about the routing on some belts and how they appeared once the driver was strapped in. This is something that is difficult to verify without seeing the driver actually belted in and what we don't want to do is pull someone aside just as they are about to take off up the hill. So my apologies in advance if you feel this is an inconvenience but I hope you all understand we would rather take 5 minutes early in the season and check everyone rather than break your concentration while on the line.
~Matt Rowe
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Great idea. All I'm worried about is if the GCR has a rule about your belly touching the steering wheel. Mine clears about 1/8 inch but wraps around the wheel slightly. :oops: My naval is below center about 2 inches therefore I think I should be able to run. My belts have the proper date but I needed to add 3 inches on the lap portion so I stapled a piece of elastic to one side. Of course I used stainless staples. The only other item I may have problems with is my helmet. My old one doesn't fit but the new galvanized one says on the side "Snell 5 Gallon". It fits great. Other than that "This son of a BEACH is ready to go." See ya soon :wink:
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Post by Joe Foering »

Morg, It sounds like you're ready to go, however, your request to use a 6 pack of Bud Lite as ballast in the cockpit is denied.
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

I know dads car has its 08 annual done, and mine will be done next weekend, so we,(dad and I) will be able to focus on inspecting other peoples cars. Morg, there is a 4 inch rule for belly to wheel room, I thought you were loseing weight, did you give up on that now you are not in the same class as Bob Jr.? switch to Bud light, might help. just don't forget to bring me some!
for those wondering how we have tech done? road race cars. they go be same rules, road racing tech is a little tougher, so it works for time trials. I don't think a TT tech will pass at a road race, it will be close, but they will still want to look at your car.
THOR
FV70
TT tech inspector, part of the team
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

The GCR has diagrams showing proper belt installation, and more info can be found on the manufacturer's web site. Check it out, you may be very surprised when see what are the proper belt anchorage locations!

Rich Rock
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Joe,
You caught me on the 6 pack of BUD for ballast. Thats why you are the head Tech Inspector. But I fear this year I will deffinitely not need any Ballast. :lol: