E85

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

AStaidle
Novice
Current Racecar: 1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

E85

Post by AStaidle »

Although it is not currently an allowable fuel, i think that the SCCA needs to start considering it as an option. Might be able to win some "going green" points or something. Who knows.

anyone agree with me?
"Some people are afraid of heights, not me. I'm afraid of widths"

Visit my EBay Store --- http://stores.ebay.com/Ohio-Speed-Works

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
proctorsilex
Novice

Re: E85

Post by proctorsilex »

is it a result of some no alcohol in the pit rule that i had heard about?
i would like to be able to run e85 in general. do you drive an FFV?
the scca really should sponsor a green race.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Actually the time trials rules do generally allow alternate fuels, the issue is the Solo and GCR rules apply to the respective classes. But if you read the Solo rules they reference fuels available at gas pumps which some argument might be made for E85, provided anyone has actually seen it available locally.

Generally speaking there are three concerns about fuels. Forcing people to run expensive fuels in order to be competitive. Additives that either preburned or as exhaust present a health risk to participants or workers. Fuels (raw alcohol) that present different fire hazards than gasoline. In the case of E85 none of those factors seem to apply.

In a broader sense there is interest on the national level in allowing alternate fuels and it's been acknowledged that the Time Trials program provides a place to open up those restrictions. I would suggest you send in a letter to either the SEB (Solo Events Board) or the CRB (Club Racing Board) depending on which class you are running and request that alternate fuelsbe allowed. The more people that write in the more attention the issue will recieve.
~Matt Rowe
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

I was always curious if electric cars have a place in hillclimbing? I don't know if there is a class for them or if it was ever discussed, but I would think the time is coming if we don't have a class for them? No, I am not considering an electric car at this time, still learning rotaries!
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Re: Matt's post: E85 has been available on a limited(but growing) basis here in Central PA as well as nationwide.

HOWEVER:There is an issue with E85 in cars that are not designed or modified for it. Ethanol can attack materials in fuel systems that are perfectly happy with gasoline, and that would apply to most of us who would be competing in a (especially older)stock based vehicle.

For those of us old enough to remember, remember gasohol?

There is a rumor however, that Morgan is experimenting with a Bud-fuelled Vee. :lol:
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

no Mel I think Morg is trying to get it to run on Jim Beam, whitch is what he is running on (Fri. anyway) the Bud mellows him out :D
THOR
allways looking for a free beer! :fish
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Mel,

Man how did you find out about the new fuel? We have been experimenting all Winter under the utmost secrecy. Now that you have blown my cover here's the deal. 3 parts of BUD, mixed with 1 part of BUD LITE, with 6 Oz's of MICHELOB and a dash of JACK DANIELS has tested at 190 Octane. Further testing is in the works. Man Mel I thought you were a "BUD". I thought you could keep a secret.
Remember what happens in York, eventually will travel throughout the US. :wink:

And as for you Thor make sure you get it right. Governors Club or Jack is my fuel of choice.
AStaidle
Novice
Current Racecar: 1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Post by AStaidle »

geh, i once had a bad experience with Jack Daniels...

anywho, comverting my Omni to run off of E85 isn't my current concern as i have 80% of those angles figured out. But i wanted to make sure that when i arrive at an event, i don't get the boot.
"Some people are afraid of heights, not me. I'm afraid of widths"

Visit my EBay Store --- http://stores.ebay.com/Ohio-Speed-Works

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

How does alcohol affect the foam in a fuel cell?
Stan Vann
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

I'm really not sure. (Hunts for race car parts catalog) Do fuel cell manufacturers list different foam material for different fuels?

I always thought (however I've been called delusional before) that fuel cell foam can break down from age regardless of what's in the cell.
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Stann,
I don't know how alcohol effects a fuel cell, but in me it gives me a boost for awhile and then gradually breaks down my interior running parts. :D I have found that higher octane/proof helps me function a little better and doesn't affect my parts quite as bad. :wink: Hope this helps you decide "BUD".
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

by internal functions, you mean "liver" right?
Morg, remenber Hershey last year? I think the added alcohol, did hurt you running ability. Just my thoughts, you claimed electrical problems, but I think it was the cocktail flu. dragsters run alcohol, and fuel cells, I think, what about the Danko car? ask them, they would know
THOR