Fuel cell in a hatchback type vechile

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

AStaidle
Novice
Current Racecar: 1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Fuel cell in a hatchback type vechile

Post by AStaidle »

the 9.3.26 "Fuel cell specifications" states that there must be a bulkhead between the driver compartment and the fuel cell.

So being that the hatchback vehicle lacks such an item. What is suggested? I've seen people on the rally forums putting a box around the fuel cell and bulk heading the connections out but that leaves me to wonder how i am supposed to refuel easily without have to mess with connections and a giant box.

I plan on having the fuel cell mounted inside the hatch, with the 12" as required, with the fuel pump and filter in the spare tire well. But it seems ill be using a top outlet / inlet for the fuel cell. So do i need an internal pump as well?

Can i see some pictures of how people have been doing this? So really any advice in general?
"Some people are afraid of heights, not me. I'm afraid of widths"

Visit my EBay Store --- http://stores.ebay.com/Ohio-Speed-Works

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
AStaidle
Novice
Current Racecar: 1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Post by AStaidle »

although i think i've been talked into using the OEM fuel tank, im still curious about an answer to this
"Some people are afraid of heights, not me. I'm afraid of widths"

Visit my EBay Store --- http://stores.ebay.com/Ohio-Speed-Works

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

My MGB GT is a good example.
I cut an opening in the floor and mounted the cell so it hangs partially below the rear floor where the old tank was mounted, the top is in the old spare tire well (spare was horizontal). In the mg the area in the hatch back area has a horizontal flange around the entire area (where the lid for the spare tire sat) on this flange I placed sheet metal and fastened it down. This is the bulkhead, but it is horizontal. All plumbing and the fuel pump are mounted next to the cell also under the metal bulkhead. I placed a door in the sheet metal over the filler neck, hinged with a clip to hold closed. I can post photos if you need same.

Rick Kase
brandonl
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 79

Post by brandonl »

I think Rick nailed it, building a complete box around it and adding a hinged access door is the easiest way. I worked at a rally prep shop and we did a cell in a VW golf in which the fill neck was routed out of a similar box design and then ended in a bezel mounted in the side hatch window (which was lexan obviously) with a weather proof cap. Very trick looking and that sucker drank fuel with that big fill hose and the fill point being roughly 2' higher than the cell. Keeping the lines other than the filler under the car and entering through the floor keeps it pretty simple. Or you can go what I would call a van style partition assuming it doesnt interfere with your cage. Plus then you could keep your dog back there :P