Prepping a Dodge Omni GLH Turbo

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

AStaidle
Novice
Current Racecar: 1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Prepping a Dodge Omni GLH Turbo

Post by AStaidle »

But first, Background!!!!!

Basically i bought this car over the summer on a whim. Several of my friends are turbo dodge fanatics, so it rubbed off on me. Its one of about 1300 in blue (ooo...rare omni) running the "T1" induction system which roughly translates to crappy intake manifold, crappy exhaust manifold, crappy fuel control and no intercooler. Only nice thing is that it utilized one of the larger garrett turbos that were offered during the 80's, when Dodge put turbo motors into anything they could.

Anywho, we played with it, did some rolling burnouts, etc. Lopped the exhaust off. Spun a bearing first time down the track....

...so now im building the car for bigger, better things.

As the car sits right now....

Finished the flywheel....had to take 50 thousands off the cursed thing....

*NOTE* The 85 flywheel and 89 flywheel are NOT the
same. i tried using the 85 wheel on the 89
commonblock motor but the 85 uses 6bolt holes and
the 89 uses 8. Thankfully, my friend has the right
flywheel in his garage.

The clutch is a T2 / T3 hybrid clutch that we have used for drag racing applications and held high 11 second 1/4 miles. The nice part is the clutch and pressure plate are just factory parts. Although im not sure if the original stuff was Valeo or not...my only concerns are if it will overheat or not.

As you can, see below, i have a nice pile of parts ready to get the motor back into the car. the hangup was the flywheel so i can start getting the
bottom end in to reattach the front suspesion so i can push the car around again. But i still want to finish some seam welding before this can continue.

What your looking at is an 89 2.5L motor from the LeBaron. Its a T2 intercooled motor. Got it for 170 dollars from the junkyard including the
manifolds and turbo. Not a bad deal seeing the clutch cost me about 180....Also the 89 uses roller rockers (very nice) but the 85 head is a
better design so we are swapping the parts between them. Plus my 85 cam was completely swipped out...

the 89 longblock had a blown headgasket. Specifically on the #4 cyclinder which is the cyclinder of choice when these motors have problems. But
nothing bad occured the bottom end. So just some minor cleaning of the cyclinder and the motor is ready to get the head put back on. I just need to order the head gasket and head bolts from Moparpreformance. Seeing Dodge basically gives you parts (they're really cheap) i should be getting
them soon.

Well i ended up getting the bottom end and transmission mated together with the assitance of my friend. Mostly for just keeping everything together and test fitting. But i have to take it back apart since my retarded ass forget to put the torque plate / dirt keeper-outer inbetween. *doh*

Plus, im thinking about ditching the A525 transmission in favor of a A520. Mostly for two reasons. One, the A520 is a cable shifting transmission, the A525 is rod linkage and they like to pop off on occasion. Two, the A520 is extremely common.

Also started working on the chassis itself. My friend came out and lent a hand with it. Started grinding at the seams to remove some paint then we just kinda realized my welder did a far job of burning off paint. Finish some seam welding. TONS more needs to be done, but the spoll ran out so we started focusing on the interior removal.

Initiailly, while Pete was welding away and setting fires, i started to look into the rust on floorboards. Well i found this:

Then after the welding stopped we went to town and this is the end result. Hmm....so yea floorboards....

But ill be doing some good reinforcement welding now along it all too. Its nothing really structural. Just a pain in my ass. The rest of the car is actually very solid!

But thanks to the mound of interior we removed, the car has a nice high stature.

COSTS SO FAR

Omni GLH turbo (running at the time): 1300
T2/T3 clutch combo: 180 shipped
89 2.5L turbo longblock: 170
Rear main seal: 10
2lb spool of MIG wire: 10
"Some people are afraid of heights, not me. I'm afraid of widths"

Visit my EBay Store --- http://stores.ebay.com/Ohio-Speed-Works

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Welcome to the world of building a street car into a race car!!!! :lol: Two of our PHA officials Matt Green and Matt Rowe are very well versed in little Dodges with turbos. Anything you find that is needed or you have no clue about they are the best guys to start with.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

Oh, c'mon now Steve, we don't know anything about those cars... :)
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
AStaidle
Novice

Re: Prepping a Dodge Omni GLH Turbo

Post by AStaidle »

so i have an idea for the suspension that i need to verify with someone who does A2 VWs. The Omni is so similiar to the VW rabbit that im almost positive i could use VW dampers and springs for the suspension with very little modification since there are few options left for the omni.

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

Just a note about your welding of the seams. I may be wrong depending on the class, but I recall I wanted to do that to my new car and found a section in the GCR that does not allow seams to be welded. I don't remember the section, but maybe someone else here can expand on this. Either of the Matts care to respond to this?
AStaidle
Novice

Post by AStaidle »

Mazdahead wrote:Just a note about your welding of the seams. I may be wrong depending on the class, but I recall I wanted to do that to my new car and found a section in the GCR that does not allow seams to be welded. I don't remember the section, but maybe someone else here can expand on this. Either of the Matts care to respond to this?

i recall something about that as well, but i believe it to be more along the lines of adding material to the chassis for stiffening as opposed to stitch welding to keep the car from failing apart. Hopefully one of them will chime in.

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

First the welding: I think you said you are going Street Mod? Weld away!!!

The Rabbit A1 parts are bolt in. A2 struts are too long and have a bigger mount bracket to the spindle. You could use A2 spindles with the A2 CV joint ends. Make a tall spacer at the top mount for the strut and the A2 struts might work. My Rabbit has all A2 and A3 parts but my lower A arms are custom made for a 60 inch wide track. Also have a 2 inch lowering spacer. My coil over A2/A3 struts are race type and shorter than stock. All this is legal in SM not SP.

Just a note. When people ask questions on what's legal or acceptable, it would help if you tell us your class.

Dave Y
AStaidle
Novice

Post by AStaidle »

ah, yes. SM2 i believe is the class of choice. I should get pictures of the stock omni suspension. Its loosk EXACTLY like my 87 GTi i had.

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

SM 2 is for 2 seaters. you would be SM.

Dodge only had a license to copy the Rabbit not the Golf. The Golf had longer shafts (wider track width)with larger inside and outside CV joints. It is logical to upgrade to the Golf spindles because the Rabbit wheel bearings don't hold up. You just need to know there is a lot to change if you go Golf stuff. The other logic with A2 is bigger brakes. Both brakes and wheel bearings aern't much a factor in TT because we just don't get the same track time as road racing but if you want to do more road course stuff, you may want to think about the conversion.

If you need more details you can contact me direct, dspgti@aol.com, 609-517-3129 on my cell, 1-800-624-0987 at work. You can call me at work because used parts are my business :lol:

Dave Y
AStaidle
Novice

Post by AStaidle »

i have no idea why i was thinking SM2. I don't have the rule book down yet (and i've been doing WAY to much schoolwork)

the brakes on the GLH omni are actually pretty stout. Im planning on using the charger rear end for disc rears as well which are about 11.25" rotors if i remember correctly. But i don't expect them to be a problem other than in locking tires up. Ill have to just get some measurement once it comes time to do the suspension. In the mean time im trying to the get the driveline finished up so i know what kind of weight im looking at.
AStaidle
Novice

Post by AStaidle »

Got this deal on ebay for 47 dollars!
(2) mopar performance headgaskets 006
(1) valve cover gasket
(1) intake and exhaust gasket set
various other seals

basically everything i need to refresh at least one engine (in terms of not having leaks)

I've also managed to aquire a Kirkly aluminum racing seat for 40 dollars thanks to the "discount" area at the Summit Racing Store. While i was there i also picked up an oil cooler sandwich plate adapter so i run an oil cooler. The oil cooler of choice being an Rx7 GSLSE oil cooler (basically the same as the 2nd gen ones) i had laying around collecting dust. I also found an older Spearco two-core top to bottom intercooler i had aquired from my friend about two years ago. Thought i sold off, but appearntly i didnt. so again, score!

So now i need to figure out how im going to stack the intercooler, oil cooler and radiator. I might use the smaller T2 radiator which will allow for more side to side room.

Body wise, i've cut most of the rot out of the passenger side and am going to get some sheet steel and starting replaceing soon. Once i finish that i can get the cage in, mount the seat, and reassemble what remains of the dash.

I still need to find a transmission as the A525 is in need of a new differential. (diff. pin is failing out)

COSTS SO FAR Updated Jan 31st 2008

Omni GLH turbo (running at the time): 1300
T2/T3 clutch combo: 180 shipped
89 2.5L turbo longblock w/ turbo: 170
Rear main seal: 10
2lb spool of MIG wire: 10
Headgaskets + misc. other seals: 47
Kirkly Aluminum Seat : 40
Oil Cooler Sandwich Adapter: 38
Rx7 oil cooler: (free)
Spearco top -> bottom Intercooler: (free)

TOTAL: 1795 dollars

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

I proabably have a 525 trans that you can HAVE if you come get it...
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
AStaidle
Novice

Post by AStaidle »

Project terminated.