Watkins Glen Pictures

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

tupdegrove
Novice

Watkins Glen Pictures

Post by tupdegrove »

This was my first time to Watkins Glen and only my second time to a road course.

I posted ~100 pictures. You can check out http://www.buyphotonow.com, click on the Photo Gallery link, and then select a photo album. Ron Mann will want to check out the VW buses (I have lots more pictures not posted)! There are lots of descriptions for the Watkins Glen track. To view the comments on the left, pin the description box open or position your cursor over the main picture. You can advance photos by using the mouse or left/right arrow keyboard keys. Photos can be zoomed and panned.

On Saturday afternoon there was a three-hour enduro and Carl Hindman entered his red VW Scirroco. In addition to Carl, Dave Yeager and another hillclimb driver took ~one hour turns driving. I'm pleased to report the car took all that punishment and finished. That is the equivalent of like 180 runs up a hill (several years worth)! Gordon Wise was nice enough to show me around the track so there are several photos of Carl's car. Check out the picture of Carl in "first" place! I got the proof.

On Sunday, there was supposed to be six groups of qualifying in the morning and races in the afternoon. Gordon Wise and Carl Hindman were in group 1 that was supposed to qualify at 8:30am. Dave Miller with a red TR4 or something was in group 3 (I think). Another Dave Miller with a yellow Camaro #86 and Steve Tumolo was in group 4. Dave Yeager was in group 6. If any of these drivers want the original photo files (free), please send me an email and I'd be glad to send them to you.

Wondering why I used "supposed" several times? Well, grid workers reported sunny conditions driving to the track on Sunday morning until they got to Watkins Glen where thick fog enveloped the entire Glen area. We got up at 6:30am and it was foggy but, some time later, you could see much thicker fog just roll in over the track. Wasn't there a famous football game nick-named the "Fog Bowl"? Well, this was the fog bowl of racing! There are more details in the photo descriptions but, basically, there was just one qualifying session in the morning and the rest of qualifying and races were compression into the afternoon.

Oh one last thing, ask Gordon if there is a place to buy a chicken dinner around the Glen...

Upate 10/13/07: Posted full resolution images of the hillclimb drivers at http://www.buyphotonow.com/free/glen for download. To download, click the floppy icon in the lower right and select "save to disk". Enjoy.

Tim Updegrove
tim@buyphotonow.com
Last edited by tupdegrove on Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Thanks Tim!! Your photo evidence proves we were there :lol: .

It was amazing to see the waves of fog rolling through the track. Almost all of us got our cars back on the trailers the same as we took them off. Dave Miller lost oil pressure in his Camaro when he got to impound. Congrats on the 3rd place finish!!! And Dave Y. had a throttle cable problem rear it's head on the pace lap I believe.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Dave Miller (red TR4) got his first podium finish in EP. 3rd in a class of 5 or 6.

I still can't believe Carls car made every lap. Prep on that car was completed at the track on Saturday morning!

Rich Rock
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

I thought finnishing the car at the track was the PHA way?
THOR
still looking for people to come down south for a TT @ robling road