Food Vendors at Polish Mountain

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Ray Colbert
Novice
Current Racecar: 2013 Subaru WRX

Food Vendors at Polish Mountain

Post by Ray Colbert »

From Dave Williams:

Food vending is already arranged in the pit area. Will be provided by the Flintstone VFD for breakfast Saturday and Saturday and Sunday lunch. Sunday AM breakfast will be served by two other groups in the "middle of town" between the paddock and the fire station.

Ray Colbert
:)
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
Cumberland Racer
Novice

Post by Cumberland Racer »

Bring your appetites boys and girls. The Flintstone VFD's been living on their good cooking for years, it turns out.

They have a huge barbeque pit/cabana built right alongside the firehouse that will be put to good use during the Polish Mountain weekend. We're talking killer burgers and dogs and a specialty or two for the Flintstone Friday Night Final Tech/Sports Car Cruise-In Party, full grilled chicken dinner for Saturday and assorted sandwiches including their pull pork specialty for lunch. Saturday Breakfast, both days lunches and soda/snack concessions will be open under a tent in the paddock field near registration.

There are two neat little operations in town that serve up sit-down Sunday AM breakfast for all who are out and about in the early morning hours.

Concensus is that this is just about the biggest thing to hit Flintstone since the release of the Fred and Barney bobble heads. We're all getting pretty fired up about hosting and staging the hill climb, it's been a long train runnin'...can't wait for it to pull into the station.

That D*mn Dave Williams
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Sounds like you have the food part covered but after Rose Valley, I can't help but wonder if Polish might have a similar local swimming hole. The organizers seem to have thought of everything - how about a nice lake/creek/pond? Maybe the VFD guys would know?
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
McDallion
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 43

Polish Mountain traffic

Post by McDallion »

Since I was coming north on I81 Sunday afternoon while all and sundry were scattering sheet metal and fibreglass over a sizeable portion of Lycoming county, I thought a side trip to Flintstone might be in order to scout things out a bit. While westbound it was disconcerting to see that easbound I70 had turned into a parking lot which extended onto I68. I don't know why I thought is would clear. I ended up creeping along for at least half an hour to get back to I70 and escaped by taking I70 west to the turnpike. Does it do this every Sunday?
Don
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Sue Salsburg wrote:Sounds like you have the food part covered but after Rose Valley, I can't help but wonder if Polish might have a similar local swimming hole. The organizers seem to have thought of everything - how about a nice lake/creek/pond? Maybe the VFD guys would know?
Here you go Sue! I was all over this already. I'm sure we will take a drive there after racing sat. Just come find the SM gang. LOL. This should be alittle easier to find then that Blue bottem swim hole at Giants. :shock: .http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/ ... kygap.html
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Cumberland Racer
Novice

ROFLOL Sue. Yeah, just a small public swimming hole five miles away from the hill. Lake Habeeb is roughly 300 acres of cool fresh stream water contained by the dam at Rocky Gap State Park....accessable from the day use area on one side of the lake and from the campgrounds on the other.

While you guys are busy bolting all the bits back on your mounts from Rose Valley, our gang is splitting our time between continued ops and logistics planning for the hill and wrath of Joe Foering as we upgrade our DE and autox steeds to comply to the GCR.

Today's dilemmas. Will I need arm restraints if I run my 944 without the sun roof? Does the seat brace front plate need to be bolted into the frame of a non FIA seat? Do we really need SCCA patches on our suits? Where can you get the patches fast! Do we........you guys get it! Expect an e-mail soon, Joe :)

Your hosts are as excited about Polish as you guys. We think we're pretty well prepared, but the first time through anything is always dicey, so it's fair to say we're a bit nervous too. We're trying to do everything first class as that philosophy has held us in good stead over the last five years at the Cumberland Airport. All good.

That D*mn Dave Williams
Cumberland Racer
Novice

I-68 traffic is always interesting in the Summer. Two issues are at work. Westbound on I-70 on Fridays from I-81 in Hagerstown there can be back ups near Hancock, about 20 miles west. That's where I-70 splits toward Breezewood and I-68 continues west toward Flintstone, Cumberland and eventually Morgantown.

Some really smart politico decided it would be good for business in Breezewood if the I-70 ends come a screeching halt there and some traffic lights control the interchage with the Turnpike. Real smart for the folks stuck in the 20-40 mile backups that can spill all the back to Maryland on busy holiday weekends as the DC suburbanites bolt west. Occasionally, the Breezwood back up clogs 70 West before the I-68 split at Hancock :(

There is also some I-68 construction west on the bridges west of Flintstone and Cumberland nearer to LaVale but I don't think that will effect anyone coming from points east.
jgrausa
Novice

attn: Dave

Post by jgrausa »

Dave:
I just sent you a pm
Joe
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

YES, ARM RESTRAINTS, PATCHES, WE MIGHT LET YOU SLIDE, SEAT BRACE, A GOOD IDEA.
THOR
FV195
PHA TECH INSPECTOR(NOVICE)
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Food venders at Polish Mountain

Post by Joe Foering »

How early on Friday would one have to approach the I81/I70 interchange to avoid the backups? Is 1 pm too late? I'd be coming South on I81 from I78...
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Cumberland Racer wrote: We're talking killer burgers and dogs and a specialty or two for the Flintstone Friday Night Final Tech/Sports Car Cruise-In Party, full grilled chicken dinner for Saturday and assorted sandwiches including their pull pork specialty for lunch.
What, no Polish sausages?
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Cumberland Racer
Novice

OK, so Polish Sausages might be a cool idea. Duly noted and forwarded to the grilling committee :)

The Westbound I-70/I-68 split back-up at Hancock MD is usually no problem until dinner hour. If you get past it before 4 PM you should be fine. Could get dicey around 5 or 6.