VIDEO/crash - Ted Klaus @ Pagoda

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Mr2
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 911
Current Racecar: YELLOW-1991 TURBO MR2
and
WHITE-1993 TURBO MR2

VIDEO/crash - Ted Klaus @ Pagoda

Post by Mr2 »

Ted has viewed this video first, and offered it to be shared. I am truly grateful I did not witness what I thought I did. I began to shake when I realised what I may have just recorded. I was a mess... Glad you're here, Ted. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4800&hl=en

And thank you all who understood how I felt that day.
Fabio D'Hillho Vlacci
#911 MR2 TURBO
http://www.HILLHO.com
http://www.eFABIO.com
Schroeder6th
Novice

Thoughts

Post by Schroeder6th »

i am new to your form of Motorsport and i'm willing to take flack for my comment, so here's my thoughts.

This happened and i'm extreamly glad your Driver is OK.

i think it is a big mistake to post this video link in a public forum [either here or anywhere else] where potential sponsors, property owners [either pubic or private] and State Officials may view it.

As we all know, or may not know, the Organizers of these events have enough problems securing venues without some savy State Attorney or State Official seeing this. My hope it that this post be removed.

Regards, Fred
tupdegrove
Novice

Post by tupdegrove »

That first corner worker was at a full-speed sprint before Ted even left the road. Great attention to safety for the driver.

Get well soon Ted!

Tim
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Fred,
Accidents in any form of motorsports racing go hand in hand. The question is how does the racing organization handle an accident when it occurs. By this video all can see that within seconds there were corner workers on the scene. As a driver this video sure puts my mind at ease that if I were involved in an accident I would be in good hands.
I think this video is proof that the PHA and its fine corner workers are doing a fantastic job making sure our safety is always the number 1 concern. I even noticed one of the corner workers while running he/she was taking off their jacket and threw it on the ground so they could better assist Ted. All I can say is "A JOB WELL DONE".
And to Fabio who posted the Video thanks a bunch for sharing this with us.
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Mwilson wrote:Fred,
By this video all can see that within seconds there were corner workers on the scene. As a driver this video sure puts my mind at ease that if I were involved in an accident I would be in good hands.
+1, Morg

(from one who ALSO been there, done that...Yes, Suzie, I know...)

Also the corner crew took charge and made sure no civilians were in the way. Kinda reminds me of Indianapolis Motor Speedway where the crash truck is rolling before the spinning/crashed driver is stopped...

Great job, guys. Well trained, right?
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Ray Colbert
Novice
Current Racecar: 2013 Subaru WRX

Ted Klaus Video

Post by Ray Colbert »

All,

Excellent response by the corner crew.

After watching the video I saw Ted start to spin opposite of what I would have expected (towards the inside of the turn , drivers left). My thoughts are that:

1) someting broke one the rear suspension causing the car to pull to drivers left
or
2) there is a bump there near the inside of the turn that caused the spin.

Having run Duryea many times I am leaning toward the bump. Maybe we should look at that before Duryea and mark it or have it milled some how to flatten it out.

Ted is one of our most experienced drivers and is an iceman. If he could of reacted to prevent the spin he would have.

Ray Colbert :(
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

The response by the workers is a shining example of why the drivers really need to take the time to wave at the workers on the way down the hill. I was a corner worker for quite a few years and it really sucks when a driver does not think enough to say thank you by giving a little wave on the way back down the hill.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

The corner workers response was very good and a comfort.

Fred, I understand your point and agree with you, but I also see the good that this video shows and how it can possibly be use to train other corner workers and even drivers of the hazzards of 'oh $hit!'. I'm on the fence about it.

I had trouble last year in what looks like the same way Ted may have had. Being a novice, I was warned about the dip and bump on the right side of the road in the braking/corner entry area, and the dip on the inside of the corner where you may apex. I saw both of them on the Novice tour going up the hill.

I also think there is a patch of road that is very ruff and porous past the right side bump/dip and closer to the inside of the turn. In my case it was right where I started my turn in, tossed the car into the inside of the corner into a counter-clockwise spin. I corrected only to have the inside dip toss the car the other way into a clockwise slide. I feel very lucky to have saved it and was shaken up a bit afterwards (it took at least 20 sec in my mind to take place, but only 1 sec on video!)

I still remember having the car pointed to the inside hill and a rock sticking out, then pointing toward the cables and thinking to my self that I gotta keep it off the cables.

The incedent is the last of the 3 "Bloopers" I had a Duryea last year and is toward the end of the video. If the car did not come back after it was sliding toward the cables I would have gone off in the exact same place as Ted, but I had much more car around me to fend off the nasty cables.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0115486490
brandonl
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 79

Post by brandonl »

I had just started walking up to 6 after my clutch failure when this happened. Scary scene, but everyone conducted themselves exactly as they should have. For the record, that first corner worker sprinting was Will Sekella (much harder to id without the hair flying), he and the other workers at 6 deserve to be recognized to handling the situation so well.

Brandon

PS, Get well soon Ted.