Giant's review

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Giant's review

Post by Sue Salsburg »

I was waiting for someone else to get this started but I guess I'll jump in. Wonderful event - very well run, with lots of track time which didn't used to be the norm for Giant's. The organizers & officials were all calm & friendly, another change from the old days. Fun to see happy, enthused novices! A special thanks to Joe & his friends at turnaround - their hospitality is the best!
A few suggestions for improvement:
The biggest #1 complaint was lack of a PA system in the pits. The drivers had no idea when runs were starting & the "are we breaking for lunch or is this Group 1" mess on Sunday could have been avoided. Skip some of the frills & invest in a good PA system, please!
A welcome addition would be a vendor serving breakfast & a source for ice. We all wasted too much time making ice runs to Sheetz.
And maybe next year we can organize the pits & put all the noisey, rowdy partyers together so we don't disturb the sensible drivers who think sleep is a good idea. Sorry - I thought we were being restrained; no fireworks at least.
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Well everyone that was one of the best times of my life. This was my second event, the first being Jefferson. So really my first hill. Let me just say. I was pretty nervous. that hill looks alot more intimidating then it drives. But, after my first run i was completely hooked and excited. I will be doing hillclimbs for a long time i can see. Now I felt like i drove very sensibly the whole weekend until the last few runs on sunday when i gave myself some pucker moments. Now i thought maybe i had a chance of catching Mark A in the flat black mustang after Sat. That is until we awoke the next morning. And blasted up the the hill with a 45. At that point it made it easier to not risk anymore to catch up. All and all i'll take it.

I like to thank all of the people that put this on. I realize how much effort goes into organizing an putting on an event like these. Thank you all! It was also really nice to meet some more of the faces of PHA hillclimbs. Im happy to be a part of this great sport.

Okay now i'd like to appoligize myself to the people who like to actually sleep. I think its a great idea to get all the party people together. I kno we had some fun at this event and got alittle rowdy. Sorry all!

Well thanks again all. you will be seeing me at more of these.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
John Pitman
Hall of Fame Member

Post by John Pitman »

The event was well done, very well done. I want to take just a moment to compliment the "class" of novices we have this season. These new drivers (at least new to our hills) have conducted themselves very well, and drove rather well, some walking off with well earned trophies. With incidents rare, fast times, and good attitudes, all I can say is WELL DONE novices, welcome to the unique world of PHA events and a wonderful group of car crazies.
John Pitman FV95
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Did someone say 'novice'?? That's me. 1st time on Giants and it was awesome. Made all the mistakes possible, except.....shhhh....don't want to jinx it...... I was happy with my runs, yet, disappointed I couldn't improve my time beyond a 53.546. Just too anxious in some of those turns and deffinitely worried about Devils Elbow. The rowdies at the Elbow probably would have loved to see a 341 rolling into the embankment, and I'm sure it would have made cool footage. But I'm not ready to stretch it that far.
1 improvement I did have was hitting 4th gear just before turn 1. I was reluctant to do so due to the fact that the elbow comes up very fast and I'm still running on street tires. For now.....

I'd like to take the time to thank every single person that spoke to me with their advice regarding the hill. It was a wonderful experience and I sincerely hope to be back next year. I will look forward to more advice at future events I have the opportunity to run.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the gentleman's name at the starting line. He kept commenting on the A/C being on.
At this event and the Pagoda event, I was running the A/C up til I got to the start line. Not so much to keep ME cool, but to turn on the cooling fans. Was trying to keep the engine at 180deg at the start because at the finish, the temp was anywhere from 200deg to 210deg. Maybe I need to install some cooling ducts to shoot the A/C outside the car for you guys at the start???

The reactions of the safety crew when there is an incident, from what I saw, was instantineous. It's obvious that everyone should be comfortable knowing that if you have a crash in your car, you will have a swarm of safety personel upon you immediately. I know this is their job and you can tell they take it VERY seriously.
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

If I had AC in my race car it would be on up until the green light went on.

The cooling fans are easy - find the relay(s) that provide power to the fan(s), run a hot wire thru a new switch directly to the relay. You can now have the fan run whenever you want. Wire it hot from the battery and you can run it even when the key is off. Wire it from the on side of the key and the fan will shut off with the key. This will not change the automatic function of the cooling system.
Mel Horn
Novice

Re: Giant's review

Post by Mel Horn »

Sue Salsburg wrote:And maybe next year we can organize the pits & put all the noisey, rowdy partyers together so we don't disturb the sensible drivers who think sleep is a good idea. Sorry - I thought we were being restrained; no fireworks at least.
FUTURE NOTE:(This applies to all PHA events)

Red Jag MkII/Union Jack MINI= Party Central
All others can determine their appropriate distance from the epicenter.
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Devil's Elbow Fan
Novice

ANothe rgreat Giant!!

Post by Devil's Elbow Fan »

Thanks to all involved !!

Great show! Nice to see old friends & to make new ones.

Congrats to the Danko's for a record breaking weekend , nice driving!

The legend continues!

Nice to see a lot of new drivers on the hill. That EVO was sweet . SO was the WRX. Those Sport Racers are ART!!

The Blazer coming INTO the Elbow on TWO wheels was priceless!!!
Nice to see another great artwork from Ken Frantz.
The people in charge did their jobs well. Another PA in the pits & one more on the hill would have been perfect. Maybe next year.

Thanks!

Rich C.

PS: George Bowland & Mash ...your driving was missed!! (Maybe next year)
The Giant lives-100years and still roaring!
AMERICA'S OLDEST HILLCLIMB
jimlaurak@yahoo.com
Novice

Re: Giant's review

Post by jimlaurak@yahoo.com »

I am one of the novices who greatly appreciated all of the help and advice that was provide. (I had the silver Porsche 944, no. 223).

This was my first hill climb/race of any type. It was a lot of fun, but a little stressful trying to go faster, but achieving my number one goal of not crashing. I now live in Fairfax, VA, but grew up in Ashley (just outside of Wilkes-Barre). It was truly a wonderful thing to participate in a race that I had witnesses many times as a child.

Thanks again to everybody, and I look forward to seeing you all around at another event, whenever that might be.

Jim
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
brandonl
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 79

Post by brandonl »

Im pissed I missed out this weekend, last minute issues with the my car that couldnt be overcome... Sounds like Street Mod was action packed. Mark ran a 45 ?? Nicely done, now that is smashing a record! Glad to hear everyone had a fun safe weekend.

Brandon
#79 SM White turbo'd Golf
GT1-hillclimber
Novice

Post by GT1-hillclimber »

Sounds like ya`ll had a great, and safe weekend. Awesome run by Daryl.

Thankyou Rich C! Nice to hear from you. I missed being up there this year, and drinking Yeungling Lagers with all my PA friends. Hope to make it up next year, but, it would be as a spectator.....

I am retiring from driving after the Eagles Nest Hillclimb(new hillclimb in NC in August). I will be selling my TT prepped Z06 after that event. Beautiful car, but, not the same as a GT1 car. If anyone is interested, they can email me for more details... mashburn_vette@hotmail.com

Good luck with the rest of the PHA season.

Mash
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi all,

Retiring racing?? I never heard you swear before MAsh!! Hope all is well because I can't imagine you not racing anymore.
Regards,

Tim Royer
PitCrewLinda
Novice

Post by PitCrewLinda »

Mash, I know for sure that retiring from racing is not all that it is hyped up to be. I tried it. I stayed away for 32 years, and at the young age of 62 came back, and I am having fun. Not as young, as fast, or as brave, but it is still a grand time with wonderful people.

John Pitman FV95 (from Linda's computer)
Linda Young,
for Casual Photography
FV#95 and FV#70

http://www.lindayoungwatercolors.com
GT1-hillclimber
Novice

retirement

Post by GT1-hillclimber »

Thanks gang. I`ll miss a thumpin` V8 in front of me! Hopefully, it will be a temporary retirement.....

I have 2 kids to put thru college, plus, I have lost the passion for the sport. Time to hang up the helmet. I need a break.

But, hope to come up next year and hang out. I miss Swifty`s sexy little figure!!!

Mark Mashburn