New window net mandates?

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

New window net mandates?

Post by Steve Tumolo »

I guess this is for Joe Foering since he is the Chief of Tech:

SCCA has mandated that all window nets in club racing must drop down when released. I am not sure if that effects Time Trial cars or not but I at least wanted to bring it up in case it effects some of our drivers.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Hey Steve or any others with competition license. Has anyone gotten their 2007 GCR mailed to them yet?

Dave Y
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Dave, I received my 2007 GCR over a month ago soyou should have probably gotten yours by now.

Steve,

The TTR doesn't specify how the window net has to operate and I don't see where the change to the GCR should override us. Now any cars that are built to GCR spec would benefit from following that to make future use atclub racing an option but I don't see it as a requirement for us.
~Matt Rowe
Steve Tumolo
Novice

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Thanks for clearing that up Matt. I don't know how much club racing rules effect time trials since we are under their umbrella so to speak.

Dave,

I also got mine in the mail a while ago.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

new window net mandates

Post by Joe Foering »

Sorry I didn't getback to you all sooner, but I was at the Hershey Hillclimb. What Matt R. says is correct and I concur with his recommendation about cars being built now. I rec'd my GCR within 10 days of ordering it, but I didn't receive a disc with it or with the SOLO Rules.
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

I did not understand what you said guys? I have a window net that opens by lifting it when my car is sitting on the wheels. I do not have a full cage to attach the net, so I screwed it into the top of the door opening. Its not optimal, but would probably save me if a branch or something tried to enter the cockpit area. Are you all saying I have to modify it or remove it? I don't believe I could comply with the mandate of making it drop and more, don't think it matters. What happens when the car is on it's roof? This makes no sense to me? Or, is it to make them uniform for the corner workers? I actually think I am safer with it the way I have it now rather than making me use arm restraints. When do we need to comply with this?
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi all,

Hi Mazda, to make it as brief and clear as I can; the SCCA GCR rule is there but the Time Trials rules over ride GCR rules. Matt R. said it wasn't specified how it needs to operate in the Time Trials rules so then it can open up or down. He was saying if you plan to Road Race that car then you should and would have to do it as the GCR says. Otherwise, you’re good to go.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Not having seen your particular installation it's impossible to say if it meets the requirements or not. But, Time Trials are currently not requiring window nets be installed with a falls up or down preference. So assuming your mounting method is secure you should not have any problems at tech.

The reason club racing is mandating that the net latch at the top is primarily to minimize the net catching on the driver when exiting the car. My understanding is this is mostly due to a certain head and deck device that is prone to tangling in the net.

In either case there is nothing that represents a change to comply with. I hope that clears this up.
~Matt Rowe
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

LOL, sorry I must have been writing at the same time as you Matt. :lol:
Regards,

Tim Royer
Steve Tumolo
Novice

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Sorry guys I was not trying to confuse anyone. :oops: I just wanted to get it out there in case it was an issue for Time Trialers.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang