Nelson ... some info for you

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

JekylandHyde
Novice

Nelson ... some info for you

Post by JekylandHyde »

In this thread, you indicated missing results for '92 Duryea.

Although the Eagle does not have the results from that year in our archives, we do have this story (so you can add more <2 minute club members):
HEADLINE Crowning king of Duryea / North Carolina driver posts
fastest time on 2.5-mile course
BYLINE Matt Malinowski KEYWORD-HIT

More than 100 race car drivers gathered for what wasn't your typical Sunday drive, speeding up the sharp, curve-filled incline of Mount Penn in the final day of the 42nd Duryea Hillclimb.

And when it was all over, it was Floyd Schrammeck of Marshall, N.C., who saved his best for first.

Schrammeck's first run on Saturday ended up being the best run of the event. He finished the 2.5-mile, 13-turn course in his Raynard in 1:53.324 to capture the championship. His time also was a class record in Special 2 and is the fourth fastest time in Duryea history.

Defending champion Kerry Hitt of Harrisburg overcame a crash Saturday to race his Corvette into second place in 1:56.356. Hitt has won the event 10 times, including seven straight from 1980-1986.

It was also the first time Schrammeck competed in the Duryea Hillclimb. He's been racing hillclimbs since 1979 and his only other hillclimb race in this area was the Pagoda Hillclimb this spring, where he broke the track record.

Nonetheless, Schrammeck thought his chances were not only good to win this year's event, but to break the course record as well.

”I thought I had the possibility to win it,'' said Schrammeck. ”I put a new engine in just before this event. Usually, I'll run around 113 (seconds) the first time, then drop two or three off the runs after that.''

But he experienced engine trouble after his first run, mainly a lose wire which caused the engine to miss. His times dropped noticeably, down to two minutes and 2:07. If all had went well, Schrammeck thinks he would no doubt have broken the course record.

”About halfway up the second run, the engine started to act up,'' said Schrammeck. ”It just got worse and worse. If all had been running well, I'm pretty certain I would have broken it (the record) today.''

Actually, he would have broken the record Saturday if he wouldn't have made a mental error which caused him to lose three to four seconds.

”There's a jump you go over on the hill which causes you to go airborn,'' explained Schrammeck. ”I had already gone over it, but then when I went up the next hill, it looked like the same place I just was.

”I got a little scared, so I put on the brake, thinking I was going to go airborn again. I guess I got brain-fake.''

Overall, it was a very successful year for the Hillclimb, with 14 new class records set.

The only accident Sunday was when a deer wandered out onto the course and was hit and killed by Rich Kase's MGB.

Kase, who works as a Pennsylvania state trooper, was not injured and his car received minor hood damage.
Last edited by JekylandHyde on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

You also posted that the 88 results were missing.
The Eagle has this:
Tommy Van Scoy Jr. of Shavertown believed the third time would be the charm. Jerry Coffee of Avoca thought that twice would be nice.

Coffee, driving a Class Formula-Atlantic March, got his wish by successfully defending his championship Sunday at the 37th Bachman Duryea Hillclimb.

Coffee won it with a time of 1:53.990 on his final run Sunday to edge Van Scoy, who drove a Class Formula-Atlantic March to a time of 1:54.632.

Van Scoy had come close to victory in his first two Hillclimbs, but narrowly finished second both times. Van Scoy played bridesmaid again Sunday.

Nine-time champion Kerry Hitt, driving a Corvette in the Open class, was third at 1:57.320.

Tony Byrne of Flying Hills, driving a Tiga in Class Sports 2000, was fourth at 2:00.665. Jim Oswald of Reading, driving a VW in Class A-Sports Racing, was fifth at 2:03.748. Chris Berns of Fleetwood, driving a Zink in Class Formula 400, was sixth at 2:05.631 and set a class record.

Van Scoy led after every run - except the last. His time on his first run Sunday was 1:55.275. At that point, Hitt of Harrisburg was second (1:57.320) and Coffee was third (2:00.014).

Van Scoy bettered his time by about a half-second on his next run, despite spinning his wheels at the start and encountering another problem.
”I came into the second corner, laid on the brakes, and the car went a little squirrelly on me,'' he said. ”I didn't lose control, but I lost a little time there. The car ran beautiful. I just messed up.''

Despite that, the pressure was on Coffee, who had hit a hay bale near the end of his run, bending his front wing.

Coffee, who set the hill record last year with a time of 1:52.164 over the 2.21-mile course up Duryea Drive, also spun his wheels at the start, but not as badly as Van Scoy. From there, Coffee did what he had to for the win.

”I looked for a good, hard start and we got it,'' Coffee said. ”We try to set up our car to work better, perhaps, than the competition through the early parts of the course. We get through the tight, twisty turns and the fast sections of the course. The car kind of takes care of itself.

”My crew really works. They never stop working. Right up until the final run, they were making adjustments that did pay off in the long run. We owe a ”thank you very much' to the guys and ladies of our team. Without them, none of this would be any fun at all, quite frankly.

”That last run was a good, strong run, but far from what I'd call a clean run. You're constantly groping for speed throughout the hill.''

Coffee said he felt pressure to repeat.
”The easy thing for us to do was stay home,'' he said. ”But it's always been fun for me to come here to Duryea. As far as losing the championship, sure, that's a real possibility. And it will happen someday, but it won't happen without a fight.''

Hitt might have regained the title had he not encountered some difficulties with his new Corvette on his first run.

”We put in a five-speed transmission,'' he said. ”I'm so used to running with a four-speed. In shifting a five-speed, first (gear) is over to the left and back. Second is where first should be and so on.

”As I was going up the short straight, my mind was thinking third gear and I want to go fourth, but I'm pulling back instead of pushing it forward. I just really blew it.
”The first time I shifted this car was when I drove it from the trailer to my parking space here. The shifting pattern is different; the transmission is different.''

”Kerry had a nice, strong run,'' Van Scoy said. ”Coming through the lower part of the course, he missed a gear here and there. That may have been the difference in this race.''

Hitt, who did not race last year following a string of seven ”King of the Hill'' titles, slowed to a 2:03.662 on his final run.

Even though he did not win, Hitt said he is pleased with his new car.

”We've been working three years in designing and building it,'' he said. ”The whole chassis is new. We've lowered the center of gravity in the car. We have a new suspension on the rear. We have no sway bars on the car in the front and rear. This is the most powerful car I've ever driven.''

Coffee, who defeated Van Scoy by a little more than a second last year, said he was hoping to race against his archrivals here.

”The ”Big Three' is something we all hoped would happen,'' Coffee said. ”We had a chance to talk about it a few weeks back at Pocono (International Raceway).

”We all made a commitment to come here, and I'm glad to see the other fellows lived up to their end of the bargain. It did make the weekend exciting for all of us and the fans.''

”Jerry and Tommy are good people, good drivers,'' Hitt said. ”Whoever wins, wins. At Pocono, Jerry and Tommy told me: ”Come on down. Let's have some fun.' We sure did have some fun today.''

NOTES: Also in the top 10 overall were Mark Kilpatrick of Reading, seventh, with a class-record time of 2:06.208; Mike Wilson of Bolton, Mass., eighth, 2:06.553; Marcus Barrow of Brookline, Mass., ninth, 2:06.567; and Jim Cosner of New Hope, 10th, 2:08.501. . . . Thirteen class records were set Sunday. None were set Saturday because of the rain. Last year, eight class records were set on the first day of competition, 11 on the second. . . . Dr. Pat Enzman-Alspach received the Doug Hollinger Sportsmanship Award . She has been track physician / racer at the Hillclimb for several years. She set the class record in Class Sports Renault Sunday with a time of 2:20.979. . . . Lloyd Geib Jr. of Lebanon, driving an MGB and competing in his 26th Hillclimb, won in Class E-Production. It was his 10th class championship here. . . . Alec Knight of Ringoes, N.J., driving a 1933 three-wheel Morgan in Class Vintage, improved with each run at the Hillclimb. Saturday, he had times of 3:46.016 and 3:39.351. Sunday, his times were 3:29.284 and 3:23.062. . . . Officials reported two accidents Sunday with no major injuries.

JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

That is all ... I can only go back to 1987 from my desk.

Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Thanks so much Jeff; the articles really brought back memories. Wish those guys were still running, especially Jerry Coffee & Kerry Hitt.
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

Thanks, Jeff. All of these were before I started doing timing. I updated my records and copied the articles for my archives.