"trouble spots"

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

acorazza
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 8
Current Racecar: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Post by acorazza »

Jeff,
I think that is a pretty cool idea. I agree on compiling the "pitfalls along the way" as it was described to us. I don't think it is going to turn a novice or third year driver into an expert but it would be nice to see all of the different lines and driving styles.
I will get some on my photos and in-car videos together and send you a few. It would probably be more of what NOT to do most of the time. :) Any other way I could help out let me know.
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Jeff,
Please don't take my remarks as negative. Like I said, I really do appreciate your efforts. I just scare easy.
Thanks again.
Stan Vann
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

In-car videos (and photos) can be sent to: jekylhyderacing@yahoo.com

Videos can be in any format except .MOV.
I can work with WMV, AVI or MPGs.

I can even grap them from a Hi8, VHS or DVD.

I am only looking for one-run per driver, per course, unless you have other footage that illustrates a problematic spot.

You can send as many photos as you want.

I am clearly noting that copyrights stay with the owner(s) of the images/videos and that the site has permission to post them.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

svann wrote:Jeff,
Please don't take my remarks as negative. Like I said, I really do appreciate your efforts. I just scare easy.
Thanks again.
It's okay ... I suspect people will have much different take on this thread after they see the final site.

That being said, you could be a HUGE help if you could round up people to submit info on the hills outside of the PHA. If you know anyone that has online in-car videos from the "other" hills, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Is The Ballfield (or Model Airplane Field) downhill section at Duryea Turn 11?

We had a fatality there in 1978 (Sam Osborne)and I think Jim Seiple put a car into a tree there also...

Also AFTER the finish at Weatherly...
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
veehive
Novice
Current Racecar: Citation 99V F/V

Just How Far "Other" Do You Want?

Post by veehive »

JekylandHyde wrote:"...If you could round up people to submit info on the hills outside of the PHA ... Anyone that has online in-car videos from the "other" hills...."
On the "other" side of Our Country, you'll find the Northwest Hillclimb Association http://www.nhahillclimb.org. Their core site doesn't have a lot of info' on it, but through it (with a little hunting) you can find names of the individual clubs which host the individual events, and there you'll find names which will lead you to: the website for the Willamette Motor Club http://www.wmclub.org, which has info' & links about the Bible Creek Hillclimb, and the site of the Emerald Empire Sports Car Club http://www.eescc.org, which has info' and videos of their Larison Rock Hillclimb, as well as a forum for introducing yourself.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!
David McKenney

p.s: I've discovered to my horror that the screen name I've been using on various forums (forii?) for 3 years now has already been coined by a Vee group out there in the Northwest. :oops: While I don't wish to disrespect another person's creativity by stealing their creation, I did come by my screen name honestly and without knowledge of their preeminence, and since I've become known as veehive in Formula Vee circles I'm staying with the name. My point being: please don't post that "veehive told me about you" on their forum: the later they find out about me, the better. :roll:
the University of Formula Vee -- fraternitus, frugalitus, velocitus, frivolitus, fugallitus
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Mel,

The ballfield is 12. Seiple and Hartman crashed landed in turn 11, which is Duryea's version of the jump right after the Pagoda turn. Seiple hit the wrong pedal and Hartman's crash was in the wet.

After the finish at Weatherly is also a bad spot, were that Corvette driver died, and Dennis Fink and Lloyd Geib crashed. The Vette driver was too busy trying to see how fast he was over the finish, Fink's wreck was in the wet, and poor Lloyd had a few spectators run out in front of him.

Rich
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

veehive, thanks for the links.

I am familiar with the NHA as can be seen on this list I compiled a year or two ago: http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/ushillclimbs.htm

Those hills, along with all of the oneslisted on the link I just gave are included on this new site. Like I said, the site is huge ... once the drag strips & hills are done, I am going to start in on the road courses and autocross facilities.

I think I've well surpassed 275 pages created now with more being added every few hours.

If people want to submit in-cars and/or photos from events, please e-mail them to me.

Thanks,