IMPORTANT

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

IMPORTANT

Post by TKnorr »

It is now time for all drivers to step to the plate. As you all know, the number of drivers has been on the rise; the number of volunteers to man our corners has not. Both the safety and viability of our events depends on an adequate pool of volunteers. I have begun the process of creating a database which currently only has twelve names. All drivers must be engaged in the recruitment of friends, family, crew and those who have an interest in cars and racing.
The plan would be to use this data base to compile a list of available volunteers prior to each event. This would better assure that events would start on time. If the data base is increased substantially, we could give volunteers more flexible options of working a half-day, full day, or both days. So please, let's begin the process. Email potential volunteers with names, phone numbers and/or email addresses to tknorr@enter.net.
Tom Knorr, PHA President
Tom Knorr
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

I posted this thread on the MR2 board back in September:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?p=2358607
(you might have to log in to view)

There were 5 people that expressed some level of interest in working,
hopefully they will step up.

We'll see ...
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Tom, just curious ... how many (if any) people have e-mailed you that I had directed your way? I posted on 3-4 other mesage boards and a few people indicated they would contact you. I'm just curious if they actually did.

Thanks,

TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Volunteers

Post by TKnorr »

No one has sent me any new names to serve as volunteer F &C.
Tom Knorr
Don Newcomer
Novice

Post by Don Newcomer »

Tom,
I’ve posted adds for workers in our Miata Club newsletter on several occasions without any success.
I think I may have had a few on the hook but I couldn’t land them. Perhaps with a carrot I could get some to come out.
I hate making promises that are not substantiated so how about a list of what the workers get for their day of hard work (lunch, party, driving the dodge viper pace car , etc) as well as their duties.
Perhaps with a good job description and a benefits package I could be more successful.
If the perks vary hill to hill depending on the club running the event please note it.

Thanks
FORMER #357 Spec Miata
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Okay, well 2 people posted this morning on Grassroot's Motorsports that they sent e-mails:
http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/view ... 714#248714

Hopefully they have come through.

I think the folks on the MR2 board are probably waiting until we closer to event dates to see their schedules.

geowit
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 103
Current Racecar: #103 '85 Mazda RX-7 ITS

Post by geowit »

Jeff,

I hope you don't mind but I plagiarized your post and put it on a couple of rotary forums and also about a half dozen MINI forums. We ought to have a contest to see which marque can drum up the most volunteers. :shock:
Thanks,
Geo.
#103 '85 Mazda RX-7 ITS
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Thank you

Post by TKnorr »

Thanks to Jeff, we now have two new volunteers to add to my data base.
Great Job. Now we need many more to step to the plate. The request for F&C volunteers can be posted on any site.
In response to Don's post, a key agenda item at our February 10 Organizational Meeting will be both the Reqruitment and Retention of volunteers.
To maximize meeting time, a new post to solicit ideas to increase our base of volunteers will be created. We need to create incentives to attract new people.
Tom Knorr, PHA President
Tom Knorr
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

geowit wrote:Jeff,

I hope you don't mind but I plagiarized your post and put it on a couple of rotary forums and also about a half dozen MINI forums.
Plagiarize that post all you like ... the more the merrier :)

Tom, like I said, I suspect the MR2 community might step as time rolls around.

george bowland

Post by george bowland »

I'm sure you have considered all incentives, but just in case, how about a fund created by increased entry fees. $20 per driver and it goes to a worker fund. Give it away in the form of travel money, or just a drawing at each event that gives it away in $200 to $400 chunks to those who toil. In the drawing format, limit the winners to once a season. That would equate to four to eight workers getting a significant offset to their weekend costs.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I think a volunteer should be eligible to win a prize at EVERY event they work, regardless of whether they have won at a previous event. Otherwise, what's the incentive for the person or persons who win at the first event of the year to volunteer at subsequent events?

Rich Rock
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Sooooooo.... everyone's okay with paying an extra $20 per event for the worker fund?

Rich Rock
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Rich Rock wrote:Sooooooo.... everyone's okay with paying an extra $20 per event for the worker fund?
If this something that is up for a vote, I'm not so sure it would be fair to
only include those of us that are regulars on the message board here. I suspect the number of drivers not on this forum is greater than those that are.

Would this fee replace the 50/50 that is already in place for the workers at some events?

Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Important

Post by Joe Foering »

This topic is certainly one for the PHA mtg on 2/10.
As to an assessment of $20 per entry for workers, I think that is too steep. Perhaps up to $5 might be worth considering..how it is to be utilized is,again, a topic for the mtg...
I think it is important, also, to recognize that it is the responsibility of the sponsoring region to see that the necessary workers are recruited and present as needed-this includes set-up and take-down as well as corner workers, etc.
My understanding is that these issues and how PHA as on organisation can help the sponsoring regions deal with the worker situation is a large part of the agenda.
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Incentives

Post by TKnorr »

At our Annual Meeting on Feb. 10, members will need to decide whether PHA as an organization or the sanctioning regions should lead the effort to reqruit new volunteers. If PHA is to promote the reqruitment of volunteers with incentives, then all of the sanctioning regions will need to agree to support the incentives.
Based on my preliminary calculations, a volunteer fee of $5/driver could fund a drawing that would reward the volunteers. A 50/50 drawing could enhance the pool of money.
I have created a draft flier that could be distributed to individuals or groups who have interest in cars or racing. It would be beneficial if the flier could contain a reference to the incentives. If we are to expect to reqruit new volunteers in a timely fashion, the flier needs to be copied and distributed at our April Organizational Meeting.
Regardless of what we do within the PHA or regions, DRIVERS MUST REQRUIT NEW VOLUNTEERS. As of this writing, one person, Jeff Fazio, has reqruited new voluteers (3). WE CANNOT WAIT TO A COUPLE OF WEEKS BEFORE OUR SEASON BEGINS; START DEDICAING SOME TIME AND EFFORT TO REQRUIT VOLUNTEERS.

Tom Knorr, PHA President
Tom Knorr
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Some items to consider for discussion.

First, many events already have systems in place to provide gifts to volunteers. These could be expanded with voluntary contributions included wtih the entry fee.

Second, if PHA is going to collect fees for volunteers are they also going to guarantee a minimum number of volunteers will attend? How can we know that the ones that are there are because of PHA versues the individual events?

What events with larger numbers of volunteers (Duryea) vs. events with fewer reuired workers (Jefferson)? The events with larger number of volunteer don't neccessarily bring in more fees than the others but the demand for # of workers is higher.

Let me be clear that the volunteer problem is perhaps the biggest single problem we face and that EVERYONE needs to help find a solution. But throwing money at the issue needs to be carefully considered, especially where the source of that money comes from and the way it is distributed. While providing money or some sort of reward to our existing workers may help with retention there are other issues to address and it will do very little to bring in new workers.

Without volunteers there are no events. That is a fact and therefore it is in everyone's best interest to recruit new workers. Weall have friends, family and interests away from the races. Have any of those people ever shown any interest in what you do? Did you ask them if they wanted to participate? That is how we find new people.
~Matt Rowe
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Has anyone surveyed the volunteers to find out what they like, dislike and could be improved. If we have had workers at certain events, and lost them, has anyone followed up to find out why?

Just throwing it out there, that if the workers are so crucial to the events (and they are!), maybe they should be the most important people to solicit input from.

Please pardon & disregard my post if this has already been addressed and I am not aware of it. What do I know? :lol:

Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Jeff,

It is a very good point and I have had conversations with some of our workers to get their input.

Of course we do havea frequent visitor here that is a workerand never to shy to offer his opinion. What about it Mel? What are your thoughts and what have you heard other workers mention about likes and dislikes.
~Matt Rowe
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Volunteers

Post by TKnorr »

Great thoughts and ideas and questions Matt and Jeff. Like Milton Freidman would say we are free to make choices, but these choices need to made only after considering all thoughts and ideas. We need more thoughts and ideas to engage in real inquiry to address this problem and formulate viable solutions. Let's hear from others. I do not pretend to have the answers; I only propose ideas for consideration.
In respect to volunteers, most that I have communicated with have strongly expressed the need that they be respected for what they do. That respect is more important than anything. I think, although I may be wrong, we need something to entice new potential volunteers.
Tom knorr, PHA President
Tom Knorr
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

... if I might throw out one suggestion, and this comes from directly talking to 2 volunteers from a specific event ...

Obivouly some stations are not going to be much "fun," like turn around for example. That being said, if we are enticing people with the "best seats in the house" to watch the race, then sticking them at turn around for an entire weekend is kind of stinky.

Is it possible to rotate some working stations? <- just a thought.
Maybe at lunch or at least from one day to the next.

I know if I volunteered to work and I was stuck parking cars all weekend I would have second thoughts about coming back to do it again.