Belts and Helmets

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

Rich Rock
Racer

Belts and Helmets

Post by Rich Rock »

I saw a lot of improperly installed and/or adjusted driver restraint systems while I was working the start line at Polish Mountain.

I also noticed that many drivers don't adequately tighten the chin strap on their helmet. And, some wear very poorly-fitting helmets.

If you don't know for certain that you have everything right, you should check. The GCR has diagrams showing proper belt installation, and the July issue of Sports Car had a good article on choosing and fitting a helmet.
\
Additionally, the manufacturers of belts and helmets have detailed installation and fitting guidelines on their web sites.

Having this stuff wrong can lead to injury. Having it right is cheap to do and may save you some day.

Rich Rock
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Just so you don't think this is just a amature problem, I believe that the cause of Dale Earnhart's dealth was placed on improper belt installation.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

What I saw was that most of the "new" drivers had it right. It was the drivers who have been around a while that had it wrong. Why is that?

Rich Rock
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Did you say anything to the drivers that had it wrong?
I'd rather someone tell me it was wrong than to find out on the hill, but I guess that some may take it the wrong way or loose focus thinking about something that is wrong while on the start line.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

If belts or helmet straps were loose at the start line I asked folks to tighten them right away.

I talked to some (but certainly not everyone) at lunchtime or in the evening about things I didn't want to mention at the start line. Some took it well, genuinely interested in having it right. Others took it less well.

Rich Rock
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Re: Belts and Helmets

Post by mrevilracing »

I thought I would give this thread a bump because it's safety related and is actually a good read. Extremely important info. Thanks Rich.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Re: Belts and Helmets

Post by dspgti »

Ok! I'm going out on a limb here because I can't find any direct requirements assigned to the starter of a Level 4 TT event such as a hillcimb. I'm sure there are no requirements assigned to the starter of a Club Race that pertains to checking to the readiness of a particular car. The driver?, Yes!

We have had a few starting officials that have learned that sometimes the driver or crew have not been competely profiecient in getting their car to the line. The checks that they do have been a stop gap measure to reduce the number of driver/crew errors that have slowed an event. IT IS NOT THEIR RESPONSIBILITY, it's yours. They try to help to catch errors but it is not their job! Some time ago, Rich Rock made some observations (as a starter) that in spite of all the regulations the SCCA puts in place, some people don't understand them. He had the authority as a saftey inspector to point out misuse of appropriate saftey equipment.

Everyone needs to take responsibility for their own actions. You fuc. up, don't look for someone else to blame.

Dave Y