Polish Mountain Hillclimb August 2&3

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Ray Colbert
Novice
Current Racecar: 2013 Subaru WRX

Polish Mountain Hillclimb August 2&3

Post by Ray Colbert »

All,

August 2 and 3 is the second annual Polish Mountain Hill Climb. I am again looking for corner workers/flaggers. Some of you solo guys who want a good view of Mark Auble (or any of the others) wrecking a car might want to try working this year. Meals are free again and there is a free tee shirt. Email me at the address below. Party Friday eve during registration. Camping at the start line. Hotels in Cumberland and at the golf resort nearby. Lots of fun to be had.

Thanks,

Ray Colbert :)

raynjackiec@verizon.net
raymond.colbert@alcoa.com

(412) 443-5142
(412) 798-9783
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
Ray Colbert
Novice
Current Racecar: 2013 Subaru WRX

Re: Polish Mountain Hillclimb August 2&3

Post by Ray Colbert »

We're a month away. We got 3 volunteers form PHA. Anybody else???

Thanks,

Ray
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
Speednation
Racer
Current Racecar: 4 Hondas and 1 Neon

Post by Speednation »

There will be LOTS for great give-a-ways for workers at Polish Mountain. Shirts, books, cash - every worker will leave with something worthwhile. Did I mention free food and alcohol and the undying respect of Hillclimb legend, Rich Rock, who will be available to sign autographs all weekend long.
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Speednation wrote:, Rich Rock, who will be available to sign autographs all weekend long.
Where does the line start :D
Speednation
Racer
Current Racecar: 4 Hondas and 1 Neon

Post by Speednation »

You'll find him under a silver canopy sleeping in a chair most of the weekend
neonracer193
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 193
Current Racecar: 95 Neon ACR

Post by neonracer193 »

What is the camping/pit area like at Polish. Is camping close to pits, food vendors, large locals turnout like giants. Just want to know what stuff to bring.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Speednation wrote:You'll find him under a silver canopy sleeping in a chair most of the weekend

zzzzzzz......zzzzzzzzzzz..... wha? huh?......... did they just call group one? zzzzzzzz.........
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

neonracer193 wrote:What is the camping/pit area like at Polish. Is camping close to pits, food vendors, large locals turnout like giants. Just want to know what stuff to bring.
The camping area is the pit area. The start line is right beside the camping area.
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

neonracer193 wrote:large locals turnout like giants
Nothing is like the locals at Giants :roll:

Want to be a local hero? Crash at the Elbo, get out of shape, screw up, the worse you are, the better they like it. Reminds me of NASCAR.

On the other hand, if any other event had half the local support that Giants has (the exception is Rose Valley and Weatherly who has a 1/100 the population to draw from), the PHA series would be a "hit" (maybe not the best word to use).

Dave Y
neonracer193
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 193
Current Racecar: 95 Neon ACR

Post by neonracer193 »

This is my first year, and Giants blew me away, especially the independance day antics. I live 15 min from Reading and have been to Pagoda and Duryea the last few years and i do not understand why nobody goes to them. REading is TWICE as large as Wilkes-barre and almost no one comes to the hillclimbs. I guess its not a big deal, as long as there are racers showing up to events, but it is pretty damn cool to hear a bunch of screaming fans behind the fences!!
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

neonracer193 wrote:especially the independance day antics
Unless they had to stop the event for the State Police to arrest someone or the helicopter was called in for crowed control, it was a mild celabration.

Most local police forces would not let the spectators get away with what goes on at Giants.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

This year the crowd at the elbow didn't seem nearly as rowdy as usual.

Rich Rock
dlascoskie
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 666
Current Racecar: 96 Ford Mustang GT

Post by dlascoskie »

Back to Polish Mountain..........here's a course map for all you rookies:

Get it.......Polish Mountain Hillclimb.........straight downhill..............hello, is this thing on?? :D
Dan
dlascoskie@msn.com

2007 ESP Class Champion

mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Anyone have video of this place posted? I have never been there, like Rose Valley - til this last weekend. I'd like a warning video before I go. Oh, and not Mark's video either. Giants was close enough.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

mrevilracing wrote:Oh, and not Mark's video either
Why not? It is best to learn from mistakes. I speak from experience.

NOW HERE THIS! EARLY APEX SPELLS DISASTER. LATE APEX SPELLS SLOWER BUT SAFE LAP TIMES.

I have heard the explainations of early entry, throttle steer thru the corner, etc. Sounds like drifting to me. OK on an open track. Never proven to be the fast line, fatal if not performed to profection. And, just how often does profection happen? ( Always?, Most of the time, some of the time, every now and then?)
jgrausa
Novice

Post by jgrausa »

mrevilracing wrote:Anyone have video of this place posted? I have never been there, like Rose Valley - til this last weekend. I'd like a warning video before I go. Oh, and not Mark's video either. Giants was close enough.
Here is a link to a video http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=SD7lOYG3RsM of Polish Mountain hillclimb by one of the best drivers you are likely to see drive a hill.
Regards,
Joe
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Here is one from a little bit higher perspective found if driving a door slammer.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... rwKM1sjUCA
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

I mentioned not Mark's video because I wanted to see a whole run. I can see what happened in his video and am not qualified to judge. He's a better driver than I so no way I could back seat driver the run.

Thanks for the links. Good footage to study for sure. There's that door-slammer term again. Is that a jealousy thing? And I frown on slamming doors because they really screw up the reveals. But if you don't have a door on your vehicle, do we call it a shoe-horner? I am amazed at how some of these guys get into those 'confined spaces'. Is there an OSHA reg for that? I may have seen one in the OSHA 30 course.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Here's another door slammer one. :D As you will see my first run on the video pretty much sucks. Also in the second turn (where Mark wrecked) you will notice how i take a traditional exit wide approach on that first run. That is not really the way to go. The turn has some banking too it and you can stay on the inside pretty easily if you try. Which is more like my 2nd run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wVkXGwUMZk

Heck i don't mind being called a door slammer. I still have air conditioning. lol

I'm actually thinking tho someday of trying my hand at a sports racer! Thats after i finish building my monster hillclimbing evo tho.
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Joe,
Thanks for the compliment. I will not make Polish but will see ya'll at Duryea. Still looking for that sub 2 min. run there.
Stan