Roll Bar Padding?

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Roll Bar Padding?

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

In past experience with drag racing I know the bar has to be padded in areas the driver can contact during an incident. Is this the same with us, or does it have to be done to a further extent?
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
Rich Rock
Racer

Re: Roll Bar Padding?

Post by Rich Rock »

Just in the areas of possible contact. Whenever I see an excessive amount of padding I become suspicious, wondering what's hiding underneath.

Rich Rock
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

Ok, kinda figured that.

I'll have to pad both sides though. For the open track events where I have instructors, both sides have to match. Harness, seats, padding etc etc..

Thanks again.
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Again beware! There is a SCCA spec on the padding that you should utilize. While it might might not be rejected by time trial inspectors the spec is for your own protection.

Dave Y.
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Yep. Make sure you get the 45.1 SFI stuff at a minimum. It won't burn or melt in case of fire or give off noxious fumes. The standard stuff you see in most guys' street machines is the cheapo $3.99 a 3' section garbage. Sure, it feels better to rest your head on but........

http://www.rollbarpadding.com/techspecs.html go there for info on the padding. Follow the rule book for the SCCA but also get the best padding you can afford. I have the 45.1 SFI stuff but will be changing to either the FIA or the 45.2 SFI.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!