Differential coolers?

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Differential coolers?

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

I just looked through the rule book before I asked this question....

I'm looking at the possibility running a differential cooler. It add's no performance value (as far as I know), simply a preventive maintence kinda modification. On the IRS equipped Mustang, the exhaust runs directly under the pumpkin, heating what little fluid is in there. People have had clutchpack failures (resulting in "one wheels"), fluid issues and other problems.. I'm pretty much looking to prevent part failure since it's my DD and down time because of a preventable problem wouldn't be a good thing.

Here's the problem, it doesn't say I can run one, but it doesn't say I can't. So what do I do?
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
RX-Midget
Novice

Re: Differential coolers?

Post by RX-Midget »

Why bother? A hillclimb run is in the 1 - 3 min range depending on the hill. You won't be building up that much heat. Go simple and wrap the exhaust or make a heat shield and run some Red Line oil in the rear.

Jefferson events may be the longest run times with 3 laps, and sometimes if timing problems happen or you catch up you will run longer but each lap should be in the 1 min range.

I bet the guys having trouble are running much longer duration events.

This is just what I would do.
B.
NJ 03Mach1
Novice

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

I also plan on open tracking (HPDE's) the car. People have had failures from regular daily driving. I'm looking at it as a preventive measure.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Number 1 rule in SCCA. If they don't say you "CAN" do it, you "CAN NOT" do it. All modifications must be specifically allowed. Decide your class and study ALL the rules that pertain. If you get protested, you had better be prepared to open the book and point out the ruling.

Dave Y.
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Post by Joe Foering »

Dave is right! If it doesn't say you can, you can't! Read the rules...ask, if you're not sure, but, remember, it's your car and you're responsible for being able to prove that what you did is legal AND that you're in the right class! Read the rules!
NJ 03Mach1
Novice

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

Ok, so I guess I can't then...

That's why I asked here :D
Adam Sampson
PHA #281