Question on saftey

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Question on saftey

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

I purchased some of the required saftey items tonight.
Picked up the following items; Gloves, Shoes, 2 pairs of socks, 2 5pt Harness. All from G Force, as my friend is still alive after using all their products when he had a nasty rollover/fire and swears by their stuff.

My question is on the Arm Restraints. What do they clip on too? I understand the collar part is to go around your arm, but the "tail part" goes to what?

I'm purchasing all the items through Jegs, and there really wasn't a good item description for them. Do I just order those and when I get them it'll be obvious where the tail goes? Do I need something specific I'm not finding?

Any help would be great, thanks!
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Re: Question on saftey

Post by Rick Kase »

The arm restraints should fit snugly on the arms, they should prevent the arm from leaving the drivers compartment, ideally they should limit the arm movement as much as possible to prevent injury but still allow you movement to control the vehicle with comfort.

They MUST be fitted so that when the release on the seat harness is pulled the arm restraints must also come loose. Some sets come with a large ring that you fasten the restraint to and then slide the ring over the lap belt portion. it depends on the type purchased some have a ring some have a loop already installed.

Rick Kase
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

Hmmm. Well I got both the harness and the restraints from G Force, so I'm sure they are compatible. I'm assuming they have instructions, or I'll just get official instructions from someone come race time.

Got both the Harness and the arm restraints in Red. Was thinking they're nice and visible in a time of "need".
Almost went with Blue or Black to match the car, but I figure if anyone ever needs to get to them in a rush it'll be easier to see...
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
AStaidle
Novice
Current Racecar: 1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Post by AStaidle »

is a window net a fair alternative to arm restraints?
"Some people are afraid of heights, not me. I'm afraid of widths"

Visit my EBay Store --- http://stores.ebay.com/Ohio-Speed-Works

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

The tail part of the arm restraint clips in at harness buckle.

Grace
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

Yes, a window net is a fair alternative to arm restraints.
John Pitman FV95
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Be advised. The GCR has new standards for mounting the window net. Even if TT doesn't include the regs yet, I'd do it the road race way and avoid problems in the future.

Most of us hillclimbers never liked the net due to limiting visability out the side. Keep in mind that you sometimes approach a turn that is more than 180 degrees. Sometimes your view needs to be 90 degrees from your direction of travel. Even though my cars have nets, you will usually see me wearing arm restraints.

Dave Y.
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

I preferred the window net, but I moved to arm restraints because of the hassles at Inspections because my install was a bit unorthodox. Depending on the inspector, because the inspectors are not always the same guy and they seem to interpret and pick on different items. Since my installation was constantly scrutinized I decided to remove this as an item for them, went to restraints. They are not as uncomfortable as I thought they would be and you really don't know they are there once you start thrashing thru the corners. It does take a few seconds longer to get buckled in, but only an issue for a 2 driver car. We are a 2 driver car and it has never led to us missing a run or anything like that, so take all of this into account.
dlascoskie
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 666
Current Racecar: 96 Ford Mustang GT

Post by dlascoskie »

Adam,

Put the metal loops (the tail part) for your shoulder straps through the metal loops in your arm restraint hoops (the tail part), then slide the loops for your shoulder straps and submarine belt onto the lap belt clip. This will keep the lap belt clip from getting "overcrowded" and allow you to get eveything on and off with ease. I'll post a picture when I get home to clarify.
Dan
dlascoskie@msn.com

2007 ESP Class Champion