Seam welding?

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

AStaidle
Novice
Current Racecar: 1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Seam welding?

Post by AStaidle »

whats the legality on stitch welding a few things for strength? or for floor board repairs? i want to make sure i don't overstep some boundaries trying to fix my floorboards. Plus i have some stitch welding done in the engine bay. Doesn't increase handling or anything, just trying to keep my car from flexing itself so much.
"Some people are afraid of heights, not me. I'm afraid of widths"

Visit my EBay Store --- http://stores.ebay.com/Ohio-Speed-Works

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Re: Seam welding?

Post by Matt Rowe »

The short answer is it depends on what class you are planning to run.
AStaidle wrote:Doesn't increase handling or anything, just trying to keep my car from flexing itself so much.
Not to be picky, but if the car isn't flexing as much it is an advantage. So I wouldn't suggest using that argument, I doubt it's illegal for a class you would likely run a modified turbo omni in but if it is you'll want to show that it is for repair, not reinforcing. :D
~Matt Rowe
AStaidle
Novice
Current Racecar: 1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Post by AStaidle »

L-bodies are one giant blob of repair waiting to happen. That and i have pictures showing that the floorboards were COMPLETELY rotted out.
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

Most likely in Hillclimbing it will not become an issue, but if you ever plan to do any club racing it will. I did not do any seam welding on my new car for this reason, I am hoping at some point to try my hand at club racing to see if I enjoy it as much as the hills. If I do, I wanted a car that would pass inspection and I may focus more of my time running those.
I bought a book on how to build a street prepared race car and one of the items was welding of the seams, but I checked the GCR and found for the IT classes it was not allowed, so I abondoned the idea. I am not sure what class you are choosing for you car, but I would at least look for this in the rules. Another bit of advice, choose your class yourself, don't wait for someone to choose it for you. Just look up where your type of car should be and start reading the GCR and building your car for that class. Seems to have removed a lot of the questions for me.
Hope to see you at the hills this year!
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Great Advise!