Homologation for Specials

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

SteveTC
Novice

Re: Homologation for Specials

Post by SteveTC »

Joe Foering wrote:Steve, The 2008 TTR reads "It is highly recommended" not "you shall" replace the seat... Therefore, don't worry about the seat. This information was confirmed by John Bauer at National. The TTR are now available on the SCCA website. Unfortunately, the Homologation issue is still not resolved (meaning Specials need Homologation as of now), but John Bauer says the Time Trials Admin Council is working on it.
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I looked on the SCCA website, and the 2007 TTR is the only thing I see there.
The wording above about SFI came right out of that. In the copy you have, does it still have the SFI reference?

How will I go about getting Homologation done around here? Is this different than the annual inspection?

Thanks,
Steve
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Post by Joe Foering »

Steve, I was on the phone with John Bauer and he told me what the 2008 TTR stated about the seat (he also said the 2008 TTR were out and I assumed that meant on the SCCA site-apparently not yet), but the seat issue is moot; you don't need to replace the seat. As John B. said, "highly recommended" instead of "you shall" with respect to the seat. As to the homologation rule, John says the TTR Admin Council is working on on that rule, so I would wait a little before addressing that rule.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

First, the 2008 TTR is not out as theTTAC has not yet finalized the version to be sent to the BOD for approval. However, both the seat and homologation rule are topics being discussed and I believe we will have consesus on those items after the call this week.

Steve, I am aware of the concerns both about the seat and the homologation rule and realize the reference to an SFI seat is actually impossible. Most importantly I thank you for your letter to the TTAC, member input is always helpful when trying to address rule changes.

Finally the seat rule was already changed to highly recommended back in June 2007 the issue we still need to close on is if the passenger seat needs to be changed when the driver seat is. Not really needed for what we do.

Anyway, I hope that helps clear some things up but let me know if you still have questions.
~Matt Rowe
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

Matt Rowe wrote:First, the 2008 TTR is not out as theTTAC has not yet finalized the version to be sent to the BOD for approval. However, both the seat and homologation rule are topics being discussed and I believe we will have consesus on those items after the call this week.

Steve, I am aware of the concerns both about the seat and the homologation rule and realize the reference to an SFI seat is actually impossible. Most importantly I thank you for your letter to the TTAC, member input is always helpful when trying to address rule changes.

Finally the seat rule was already changed to highly recommended back in June 2007 the issue we still need to close on is if the passenger seat needs to be changed when the driver seat is. Not really needed for what we do.

Anyway, I hope that helps clear some things up but let me know if you still have questions.
Thanks Matt. I was concerned when I read the 2007 TTR on line and the wording was like above. I guess I can mount my seat now. I did get my Camaro all set up at the end of the year to compete, then sold it :roll: :roll: I am building something a little more radical, so keep my number 49 alive, I'll be using it this year :wink:

On the homologation rule, I looked the sheets over for Formula Special, but the 'packet' online is for GCR requirements only, not really TTR, but I guess it still brings up a question that if I am only going to do TTR and Solo events in A-Mod, then will I need everything in GCR for FS, or should I just class for Hillclimb Special or some other class? I am essentially building a car like George's on Steroids :shock:
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

Matt,

I am sure that it is being addressed, but in 2007 TTR, I found one other reference to Homologation:

In 10.3 (Vehicle Logbooks) Paragraph 7:
All Formula and Sports Racing Cars registered after January 1, 1983 are required to be Homologated by SCCA and issued a Certificate of Approval.
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Steve,
I think if you just sit tight all your concerns will be answered. Matt is working on the issue and I'm positive he will get the whole thing straightened out. It simply is a question of wording and I know Matt is on top of the issue. Just stay tuned for his post concerning this issue.
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi all,

As Rich said in his post homologation is not needed in a Solo2 Mod class and or needed in Time Trials as a Special Class. Only production formula and Sports Racers prior to 1993(?) needed to be homologated by SCCA because crash testing data was not done on on those cars. Homologation papers are supplied by the manufacter after being tested by FIA standards. This is how it was explained to me in basics.

Jon Bauer told me after inquiring about the Lola that National doesn't need to get involved in ANY Time Trials cars unless it is a FULL carbon fiber chassis. (Which the Lola is not) He also said they would not be equipt to test or Homoligate such a vehicle. Their for our Tech inspection can be done as per class of car. Tech inspection must be done to make sure it complies with all the specs as far as rollbar diameter and thinkness, and all other safety items in the rules ect.

Basicly he said almost anything we see at our events can be quaified at Tech inspection as per GCR / TT rules. As always Specials must comply to what type of car it is like Formula, Production ect.

This is my experience only, not gospel. :)
Regards,

Tim Royer