volkswagen motor

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

griffinbilt
Novice

volkswagen motor

Post by griffinbilt »

so i'm rebuilding a used engine from the ground up for next season. i'm in dire need of an intermediate shaft for any 1.8L 16 valve. the problem is that shaft was specific only to the 1.8L 16v and not interchangeable with the 8v style motors or the 2.0 (16v or 8v). i'm too poor to pay attention but i can pay 50 bucks or so.
the one on the engine i'm rebuilding has a bend in it due to passenger side front quarter hit on the car i pulled it from. it came to my attention when i took the bearings out and saw how bad the races were wrecked. the bend is real subtle but when i think about what i'm gonna put it through, i don't want to chance it
**Mr. Exictement Himself**
1988 #767gt3 scirocco
griffinbilt
Novice

Post by griffinbilt »

so everybody keep your ears open for anybody with 16valve 1.8L engine blocks.
1988 #767gt3 scirocco
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

Have you tried a salvage yard? I dunno what it is your looking for, but I always find stuff there...
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

You would cry if I told you how many I threw away. I still may have one or two around. I'll look and get back to you.

Dave Y.
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Yup, I got one in the last 1.8 block I got laying around. I have to take it apart to get the shaft out. Hope to get at it this weekend.

Dave Y.
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Rebuilding a motor for next season?! Guess I'd better not sleep over the winter then :)

Do you have the rest of the car the motor came out of? I need to replace the front valence or whatever you call the trim piece that sits under the grill -- the one that was badly cracked by Keith's incident at Spring Weatherly. He was going to fiberglass and paint it for me, but 3 weeks after, the guilt went away, and I'm stuck with a cracked whatever you call it. I've just started looking for a replacement.

Grace
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Sorry Grace, the engine came out of a Golf. I'll ask Carl Hindman if he has the part. He has a couple parts cars.

Dave Y.
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

That was actually meant for Ryan, but if Carl has one in reasonable shape he wants to sell, that would be great! It doesn't matter what color.

Grace
griffinbilt
Novice

Post by griffinbilt »

sorry i didn't get back to you guys sooner... no i got the engine from a 16v golf a little while back. i'm not going to do any crazy machine shop work on the block, but i'm honing the cylinder. walls and re ringing the pistons, all new internals bearings. wrist pins for the pistons surprisingly enough aren't available without buying a whole new, all or 4 pistons themselves...random things i've find have becoming obsolete at import part suppliers...like an upper radiator hose. i've had good luck with germanautoparts.com and a few others though.

but yeah if you lose the intermediate shaft i'll take it off your hands
1988 #767gt3 scirocco