General/Yearly Hillclimb Costs

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

MikeF
Novice

General/Yearly Hillclimb Costs

Post by MikeF »

This will be my first year running hillclimb event. My goal will be to run the entire schedule and I am just interested to know how much some people spend per season. Getting to events, on their car (curious as to the cost of different classes), lodging, etc.

Would help me in working on a realistic budget. I will be running Chris Woolard's old ITA Honda Civic and towing from south Jersey. (outside of Philly)

Thanks, Mike Ferrett. (thats Fur-ret.) eheh.
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

costs per season

Post by Mwilson »

Well I might be able to help you out.
1. Most events run between $125 and $135 for the two days. This includes a very nice meal on Sat. Night.
2. Obviously your racing fuel or regular gas.
3. Any food you may purchase or take along.
4. As far as race car maintenance I would not be the one to talk to. In two seasons I have gone thru 3 engines and am working on number 4
5. My liquid refreshment averages about $500 dollars per event. Just kidding.
6. I sleep in my vehicle. If you stay in a motel you may spend another $100 to $125 per weekend.
7. SCCA Membership
8. A physical exam twice a tear if you are under 60. If you are an old fart over 60 the physical is done every year.

I would say for an average season with no real problems you would be looking at between $1500 and $2000. A small price to pay for 8 great weekends with some really cool people. Hope this helps you out. See you on the "Hills".
Morgan
MikeF
Novice

Post by MikeF »

Thanks for the information.

The price of running hillclimb was one of the factors that attracted me to the PHA series from rally, which the cost of running a stage rally can run $1,000 just for an entry fee! Which is just ridiculous. :shock:

I may give rally a go or road-racing after the PHA season is over, but we'll see.

Any other general cost opinions out there?
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Mike - where in South Jersey? We're in Mays Landing. Have we met at an SJR event? Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
MikeF
Novice

Post by MikeF »

I am from Deptford.

I used to AutoX with the BMC when they ran at Gloucester County College and SJSCCA when they where running in Camden.

My first car was a dark blue 89 Chevrolet Corsica, then I got a 93 Z24, red with black stripes.
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

I'm in turnersville, and go to all PHA events, IF you need to follow me to a hill or two we could work something out.
THOR
fv195
Mel Horn
Novice

Re: costs per season

Post by Mel Horn »

Mwilson wrote:5. My liquid refreshment averages about $500 dollars per event. Just kidding.
No, you're not.
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
"Zee" Zaroda
Novice

Post by "Zee" Zaroda »

MikeF wrote:Thanks for the information.

The price of running hillclimb was one of the factors that attracted me to the PHA series from rally, which the cost of running a stage rally can run $1,000 just for an entry fee! Which is just ridiculous. :shock:

I may give rally a go or road-racing after the PHA season is over, but we'll see.

If you want to get on track (no pun), you can take in EMRA Time Trials

http://www.emraracing.org

which are three sessions of open track practice followed by two timed laps for a best lap time which is compared to others in your car's class.

Going a bit further, look into NASA's HPDE (High Performance Driver's Ed) and their progression into wheel-to-wheel racing.

http://www.nasanortheast.org

Both clubs give you access to road racing track experiences, beginning at levels where you're not going broke with the preparations needed to jump straight into road racing.

The NASA HPDE schools are a great value.
2007 Off to annual tech, racing shool, Novice Competitions, and some PA Hillclimb Association Solos.
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

MikeF wrote:Thanks for the information.

But calculate the seat time and let me know which one is a better value (seriously, I've never done it but for that $1000 you'll get close to 2 hours of seat time. 1 season of Hillclimbing = that same amount of seat time, maybe?). Plus 2 entirely different sports. Try rallying once, you'll never go back!
MikeF
Novice

Post by MikeF »

This thread is OLD! : P I don't even have the black Civic anymore heh.

rallynut, I'm pretty familiar with rally as a sport, costs and organization of etc actually. I've volunteered at Maine Forest and STPR, crewed and rallycrossed since '02. Used to run events with New England Region, until the distance started to wear on me.

Rally is just far far far to expensive. Not just event entry fees, but just general everything. Plus there is practically no exposure and its difficult to run a successful program for more then a few events.

I think rally is the most awesome damn thing ever, but its just way beyond my price range.

I'm actually "Kitsune" on the NASIOC board, we've prob chatted in the same thread before. heheh.