Classing Question

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

Schroeder6th
Novice

Classing Question

Post by Schroeder6th »

Requesting Classing Assistance.

1990 Honda Civic Hatch
bone stock 1.5
5 speed
eibach springs/lowered 1.5
adjustable Koni's
gutted except fully working Dashboard
full cage with door bars
racing seat with rear roll bar brace
window net
hooiser R6/DOT
5.5 wheels
window net
fire system
no remote kill switch
built to ST6 specs
all windows glass except drivers door glass removed
all head and tail lights in place and operational/taped over
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Looks like you are all set for Improved Touring A (ITA). Check the GCR online to make sure that you do not have anything done to your car that can bump you out of ITA. But from what you have listed the car is already ITA legal.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Classing Question

Post by Joe Foering »

The car is a candidate for ITC- Improved Touring, class C. It will need a remote Kill Switch that can be easily reached by someone- a cornerworker, for example- who is outside the car. Check out the GCR and TTR; both of which can be found on the SCCA website.
Joe Foering, Chief Tech Insp.
Schroeder6th
Novice

Thanks

Post by Schroeder6th »

Thank You, Mr. Foering.

We welded a kill switch bracket on the passengers side forward roll bar brace but never got around to figure out the wiring. ST6 didn't require a kill switch.

Again, Thank You.

Fred Schroeder
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Hey Fred!

Hope you can get out to the hills, you will have a blast!
Get that kill switch wired up. See ya at Cumberland?

Brian
Schroeder6th
Novice

Thanks

Post by Schroeder6th »

Brian, Thanks and Great to hear from you.
i'm really looking forward to this aspect of MotorSports that i've never tried.
In addition it will be a great Reunion for me, i haven't Competed against my old Friends Stan Vann in 5 years, Kurt Eikenburg in 10, Ken Taggert and gang in 15 years and finally looking forward to running with the Bowlands again who i haven't seen in 20 plus years.
Hope they have a Novice Group.
Getting conflicting info re: Kill Switch, my co-driver Greg Honeycutt, believes we may not need it.
Looking forward to seeing alot of my old friends and competitors, just never thought i'd ever be driving my Daughters Tin Top in any competition.
Regards, Fred
Joe Foering
Novice

Classing Question

Post by Joe Foering »

Remember that I suggested you read the TTR...
per the 2007 TTR- pg.52- Section 10.24. Master Switch...
"all cars competing in Level 3 and Level 4 events, except Showroom Stock and Touring shall be equipped with a master switch easily accessible from outside the car."
As described, your car doesn't fit in either class.
Joe Foering, Chief Tech Insp.
Schroeder6th
Novice

Confussed

Post by Schroeder6th »

My misunderstanding:
Touring Vs Improved Touring.
We are registering as ITC
Thanks for your help and support.
Fred
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

OOOPS! Yeah,,ITC is what I meant. I really should refrain from posting replies in the morning when I get home from work :oops: :lol: .
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Schroeder6th
Novice

Thanks and a Question

Post by Schroeder6th »

No Problem,
As this is my first hill, i didn't wish to make problems/delays at Tech.

Registration: As mentioned in another thread, after being an SCCA Member and Regionally Licenced Driver for 15 years i let my membership lapse to support another venue in 2003.
i understand there will be a "one day/trial membership" availible that i can purchase to be able to participate. Am i correct and is there any paperwork i can obtain prior to the event as to not slow things down.
Regards, Fred
Joe Foering
Novice

Classing Question

Post by Joe Foering »

Fred,
It is my understanding, based on a prior posting on this site by Matt Rowe, TIME TRIALS Program Mgr., that a Temp. Membership can NOT be used to obtain a TT Driver's License (Matt R., please confirm). I would suggest that you contact SCCA at once and try to get a regular membership ASAP. With a reg. memb., you will be able to get a Novice Permit at the event and compete. Will we see you at Rose Valley HC?
Joe F.
Schroeder6th
Novice

Will Do

Post by Schroeder6th »

Gotch Ya,
i'll call headquarters Monday AM to get Da Botom Line, i will not miss this event.
Re: Rose Valley, no.
Flintstone will be a one time effort for me.
i have a special connection to Cumberland/Flintstone and the Fantasic Organizers [National Road AutoSport] of this event especilally the Visionary Dave Williams. i was lucky enuf to be the 1st person in 50 years to win a Motorsports Throphy at the Historic Cumberland Airport in 2003 and plan on taking a throphy home from this [also] Truly Historic Event.
Again, Thanks for Your Help and Support.
Regards, Fred
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Joe,

National has apparently revised the policy and sees no difference between a temp membership and "regular" membership. The good news about this is it makes Time Trials events like ours more accessible to new people especially people with licenses from other sanctioning bodies. This is a very recent clarification by National based on a question asked by one of our southern friends, Stan Vann.
~Matt Rowe
Schroeder6th
Novice

Thanks

Post by Schroeder6th »

Gentlemen,
As a currently licenced HSR, SVRA, FPR and EMRA Licenced driver with current medicals, does this mean i can buy my licence/membership at this event/ registration ?
Don't mean to be a pest, just want to make sure i understand as to not hold up registration.
Our entry also has a current EMRA log book.
Regards, Fred
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi all,

Fred, you can do SCCA membership, and Time Trials Novice permit at the event. If you’re planning on your first event to be Cumberland then you have time to do it now. Photo copy everything even the check and bring it with you if you didn't recieve your cards yet. Forms are on http://www.scca.com website.

Matt,
Licensing Section 7 of the TT rules states numerous times in the language of "SCCA regular" and is mentioned in every type of TT event.
One quote:
"7.6.1 Eligibility
Entrants with other types of accepted competition licenses must be
current SCCA Regular,Spouse or First Gear members
in good standing
and shall have completed the minimum number of events required for the
applicable competition license during the license year.

Insurance??

One other thing is coverage of SCCA's event insurance on a temp membership. I also think the language says "Regular" member. Coverage for a non-member is $5,000 v.s. $5,000,000 for a regular member. Waivers, please check and see if your spouse or anyone that has just a membership also has "Crew" on there membership card. After reading the waiver info you need that status or other event title to sign the waiver.

I know last years SCCA Temp Membership forms stated that this membership could not be used for drivers.

I would think until those references were changed in black and white I would not be to quick to change them for the sake of a $75 membership. I was posed with a temp membership at Giants' so I looked into it and that is what I found. BTW, I had the driver join as a regular member.

If this is not accurate please show me were it says it, I couldn't find it.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Tim, the confusion may be with respect to the temp membership vs the weekend membership program. But I have already had this conversation with National and they have directed that there is no difference between the temp/weekend membership program and a regular membership for the purposes of our events.

Regardless of that, we have been told that temporary members are afforded the same insurance rights as regular members. Part of the original point of the temp membership was to make volunteering to work specialities more accessible while providing the same insurance rights.
~Matt Rowe
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi all,

Matt that is good SCCA is changing the Temp program to have some meaning and value. The weekend membership I never heard of this must be something new. I was only going by what is written in TT rules, Waiver guidelines and Insurance info. It still states the same thing it always did regarding Insurance, Membership, and Waivers. If they made changes I wish they would have changed the TT rules, Waiver guidlines and Insurance info because lawyers love he said she said stories. :roll:
Regards,

Tim Royer