Hershey updates?

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Hershey updates?

Post by svann »

How about some updates from Hershey?
Stan Vann
tupdegrove
Novice

Post by tupdegrove »

The weather was great on the hill today (and more good weather for tomorrow). The event was very well run and there were lots of helpers. There were 2-3 minor hay bail incidents but nothing major which is great. I have some pictures, which I'll post in the next few days, but, unfortunately, don't have any timing statistics. The runs ended a little before 4pm.
svann
Novice

Post by svann »

Thanks, I'll look forward to the photos.
Stan Vann
ktaggart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 66
Current Racecar: Tigger II Formula Super Vee

Post by ktaggart »

Stan,

Please accept my condolences for your loss. We miss you up here.

Despite the fact that the road, for the most part, was repaved, the hill was very difficult to drive safely. The long front straight, from the start to turn 1, contained undulations and patches that threw the car around severely. Whereas I could run flat out up to 1 previously, I had to lift in 4th just to hang on. I only got one timed run in (50.something) before a stuck throttle at 3 put me gently into the hay bales. I later found a partially failed suspension mount that put me on the trailer for the weekend (old age not crash damage). I really don't think the hill is anywhere near as fast as previous years in spite of the repaving. I know I could not have gotten down near the record! Morg went home sick, I'm out, so that leaves only Tony Preston and your English friend in formula cars (other than a few FVs). You should have provided more info to him about the safety equipment required since it took several borrowed items and four trys for him to get thru tech. I haven't heard any info on the progress today. I'll post more as soon as I hear.

Overall, the event organization was excellent, as expected. Registration and tech flowed smoothly and any course conditions controllable by SVVSCC were dealt with immeadiately (heavy dirt on the inside of 4, for example). They are a great bunch of people and should be applauded for their efforts!

Ken Taggart
John Pitman
Hall of Fame Member

Post by John Pitman »

more great weather, I think Ken's time on sat. still stood today, but all the door slammers were giving it their all. a battle between Bill Miller and Vince in the 2002 was great. Mr. Rock was driving his TVR for all it was worth, I think they stopped running when no one came to the start line, people were scaring them selfs.
My views of the weekend.
THOR/not John
John Pitman FV95
svann
Novice

Post by svann »

Thanks Ken, I sure did miss being there. As for Michael, I really appreciate all that everyone one did to help him. As I understood it he had been vintage racing for years and I just assumed he had the necessary equipment. I called his cell a few times to get updates and he had nothing but good things to say about all of you. He and his son had a great time. His clutch finally played out on Sunday morning I believe, but that did not dampen his enthusiasum.
That's too bad about the course conditions. I guess it really needs a total professional repaving to be safe. I hope that will be something the Hershey Corp. will look at if, they really what the event to grow. How was the entry numbers this year and the spectator turnout?
BTW Dave Cutchins was at a convention over at Gettysburg and drove over Sunday to visit but said he found only Tony when he got there about noon.
Stan Vann
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Dam shame Ken had problems and it looked like his time would hold up, but the last time I looked at the times at lunchtime Sunday, the white MG Midget just eeked out a better time than Ken by just a few hundreths. I think Ken had 50.287 and the Midget was 50.259. I didn't write it down and my memory isn't truswothy on the times, but the Midget did post a better time. I don't think anyone else got near his time the rest of the day - I know I didn't.

Great event and great weather. Sorry to see some leave early.

The road looks good at first untill you try to hang on at speed. It does need some work and the busses and trucks they run on it for the Hershey Sweet Lights events during the Christmas holliday are just going to make it worse in time.
s4racing
Novice

Hershey

Post by s4racing »

I would just like to THANK everyone for a great weekend. Hershey was one of the most organized and best run events that I have participated in. From the registration on Friday until the final run on Sunday the event was extremely well done. We must work hard to make sure this event continues long into the future. If I or Carlisle Events can be of any help please let me know.

Thanks again,

Bill Miller III
717-215-0700

PS Thanks Vince for letting me beat the s*!t out of your car all weekend.
jmullins
Novice

Post by jmullins »

Wonderful weather for the event.
The long straight did throw our car around as well Ken.
Sorry about your luck.
Felt like I was sitting on top of a bobble head going up there. :shock: Had to be worse in an open wheeler.
Sorry for holding you guys up those two times Sunday afternoon.
We had a throttle cable come off twice in a row. :oops:
That is going to have to be re-engineered before the next event.
Hope you all had a fun event.
I am glad so many of you keep showing up year after year.
Thanks to all of you for coming.
Can't wait for Summit.
svann
Novice

Post by svann »

Thanks to everyone for making my ol' bud Michael Brodie so welcome up at Hershey. He and his son had never attended a hillclimb and we had planned this for years. I've spoken with him a few times and he rates this as one of the best events he's ever attended. I understand he had to have some help with tech and I really appreciate your help with that as well. I hope all the contacts were "light" this year.
Stan Vann
tupdegrove
Novice

Hershey Pictures

Post by tupdegrove »

I've uploaded pictures from Hershey. See my post (http://www.pahillclimb.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1123) in this Hill Climb Event Info category.

Tim Updegrove
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

was a great weekend...glad I took Monday off to rebound and "dry" out!! It was good seeing everyone!!
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Great event, except for the very long lunch breaks. But I suppose that's part of the "festival" nature of the weekend, and I'm not really complaining.

Morgan's new trailer has to be seen to be believed!

Tim Williams rolled out his EP TR7 for the first time and it ran both days! Not quite fast enough to catch his brother Dennis in the TR4, but close. Good job, Tim.

Stillwell's 914 broke late on Saturday, so he brought his 911 on Sunday.

I forget his name, but the guy from Conn. drove to the event in his Datsun roadster. Race tires strapped to the luggage rack. That guy is HARDCORE!!

My car ran great, my best time was a 52.2.

Rich Rock
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

That was Tim Murphy that drove down from CT in the Datsun....before he left, he slammed a beer...slammed the can on the ground and headed for home!! It WAS Hardcore!!
Last edited by Ron Mann on Wed May 09, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
geowit
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 103
Current Racecar: #103 '85 Mazda RX-7 ITS

Post by geowit »

Rich Rock wrote:I forget his name, but the guy from Conn. drove to the event in his Datsun roadster. Race tires strapped to the luggage rack. That guy is HARDCORE!!

Rich Rock
That was Tim Murphy. He ran CSP at Duryea last year.
Thanks,
Geo.
#103 '85 Mazda RX-7 ITS