Who is coming/running at Hershey?

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

crusaderchuck
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 251
Current Racecar: H/M sports racer "brand-X" , '60 saab 93F #251, ex DC. region H/P "sudar" '59 bugeye ,ex disney '60 saab 93F

it's going to be saabfest!

Post by crusaderchuck »

i have the entry form here now. the 93F came off course at sebring in march running very well(too well!) !. today's "test run" was inspiring to say the least! i'm ready! :)

chuck
93F #251
Charles F. Christ Sr.
1960 SAAB 93F #251
1967 H/M Sports Racer "Brand X"
1959 DC Region (RIP David Rothel) Bugeye "SUDAR" #1
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

Registered for Hershey and set to go!

Jiffy Johns? We don't need no "stinkin" Jiffy Johns. :wink: Chuck and I have the green "bio-bucket", seat & lid (thanks Sue!), and all.

The SAAB got its second test run today on the "secret" test course....with passenger....a friend from work who I am trying to have come out and corner work for a PHA hillcimb. Now, there could be a discussion as to whether or not taking this friend for a ride in the SAAB, "down the road", is the best way to initiate a first-timer at the hills. But after seeing her face after the ride, well....maybe! :D
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

I just got my registration confirmation e-mail. The car is running, but not without some funny stories to tell this weekend in the camp. Let’s just say it involves about a quart of Mobil’s finest oil and a disconnected AN-4 line….. and one hell of a mess!

I’ve got a vibration at 65mph in the steering that I need to check out and check the alignment. I hope the vibration is just from the old tires I use for the street- they may have flat spotted. I may just have to make a few passes with the slicks on the street to see. For the most part everything is ready to go (fingers crossed).
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi all,

At 65-70mph my money would be on an out of balanced tire about 1/2 ounce. Severe balance shimmy will be at lower speeds of about 35-40mph, a shimmy at this speed is more likely to be over 1/2 ounce. Then it will go away till you hit about 65-70mph. A slight balance problem will show at 65-70 like you said.

Get them balanced, alignment will not give you a shimmy.

It's possible you may have a seperated belt in the tire. If you jack the car up and spin the tire and it runs out true the balance should do it.
Regards,

Tim Royer
crusaderchuck
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 251
Current Racecar: H/M sports racer "brand-X" , '60 saab 93F #251, ex DC. region H/P "sudar" '59 bugeye ,ex disney '60 saab 93F

flat spots on tyres

Post by crusaderchuck »

if you have had the car sitting on the ground for a while those tires will get a bit wierd at first due to flat spotting. i just took my '59 bugeye out yesterday for the first time in a very long time and at first it was like driving on square tires , untill they warmed up and got sticky again! after that it was a fun ride with my son! never ask an 11 year old how fast is too fast! my son is addicted to speed! (not the chemical stuff! going fast!)
Charles F. Christ Sr.
1960 SAAB 93F #251
1967 H/M Sports Racer "Brand X"
1959 DC Region (RIP David Rothel) Bugeye "SUDAR" #1
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Brian,

Your car runs? Heck, I still don't have an engine in my car!!

Rich Rock
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Tim Royer wrote:Hi all,

At 65-70mph my money would be on an out of balanced tire about 1/2 ounce. Severe balance shimmy will be at lower speeds of about 35-40mph, a shimmy at this speed is more likely to be over 1/2 ounce. Then it will go away till you hit about 65-70mph. A slight balance problem will show at 65-70 like you said.

Get them balanced, alignment will not give you a shimmy.

It's possible you may have a seperated belt in the tire. If you jack the car up and spin the tire and it runs out true the balance should do it.
I'll check the weights - I mark the position on the rim to see if they have moved or fallen off. It was late when I came in from my road test and Denise gave me that "you better come in from the garage!" glare. :oops:

The car was sitting most of the winter on these tires while I was doing other work, so they may just need to "round out". It seemed like it was getting better the more I drove, but I got sc'ard. to drive it much further.

I want to double check the alignment since I rebuilt the front end again this winter. The fist time I did the alignment was like watching a 5th grader solve the old "If a train leaves Chicago headed east at 1:00pm....." question. The only thing I had to adjust is the toe. My brain was just not up to it. I'll try again tomorrow... :roll:
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Bryan,
Depending what the temp. was during the Winter would have a definite adverse reaction relating to the toe in and the camber. Now if the Temp. hit 20 degress that would mean that the toe would be affected by 015.23%. The Camber may be off as much as .67. However if the temp was not sustained for a period of 4 days then subtract one degree for every day. On the other hand if the temp was below 20 degrees then you may need to put your tires in an oven and bake them for 1 minute for every day they were within that range. Once you take them out of the oven you will find they should go back to there original size and the Toe and Camber should be A ok.
HOPE THIS HELPS YOU. Boy when it comes to the technical things I sure Know my stuff. :lol:
Accu Weather says we are in for a Beautiful weekend. Lets hope the forecast stays that way. See ya soon.
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Morg, I already tried all that but I only cooked the tires for 50 sec. per day which may explain why they feal half baked. :?

So, how is the weather at Hershey today Morg? Hope the bud holds out :mrgreen:

see ya on Friday.
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Who is coming/running at Hershey

Post by Joe Foering »

Chuck Kohut and I were at Hershey today and walked the course and the return road. The course appears to be in excellent condition...widened at some points (like the first real turn) and almost entirely repaved. There is a tree down across the return road, but I'm sure that will be removed by the weekend. I couldn't find any evidence of Morg Wilson, but I'll bet he was there somewhere. See all-you-all Friday night!
Mwilson
Novice

Post by Mwilson »

Joe I was at the Hershey Hotel using their "JIFFY JOHN." Sorry I missed you. :lol:
Its a bit lonely up here. The good thing is the "BUD" is holding out. See ya Friday.
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Can't make it.

Post by svann »

Due to a loss in the family, I'm afraid I'll not be able to join you at Hershey this year. My friend Mike Brodie and his son are still coming with the prototype Caldwell D9. Please make him welcome, as I'm sure you will. See you all later in the year.
Stan Vann
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

Sorry to hear that Stan...we'll miss you!!
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Mwilson
Novice

Post by Mwilson »

Stan,
Was truly looking forward to seeing you and discussing our TREE. I am sorry to here about your mis-fortune and my sympathy goes out to you.
See you soon.
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

I know what you are going through, having lost most of my family members. My sympathy goes out to you and your family. Always remember, our northern hospitality (and pit space) will be waiting for you.
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Post by eimc »

I went to hershey today because I received a call from the Derry Township Police. They thought there a homeless person squatting in the grove. I inquired if his portable housing had any BUD markings on it. They replied yes and I informed them to drop all charges because he was a real early entry but to warn him to keep ouy of the sun. We did not want another LOBSTER BUD man running around. All joking aside the fields are dry - road in good shape and final prep tomorrow. See ya there Paul
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6