Anyone been up Duryea drive lately?

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

rallynutdon
Novice

Anyone been up Duryea drive lately?

Post by rallynutdon »

I was up the Friday before Christmas (ran a 1:53, in the rain, in my street car, on snow tires :twisted: ). But seriously. alot of the guardrail in turn 5 at the apex is down or in very bad shape.
MikeF
Novice

Post by MikeF »

The catch rails have been down like that for over a month now, and the stone wall sections have had no construction work done on them.

Last I checked with the Pagoda, there is supposed to be a company moving into the Pagoda to open a cafe or something. The city is just not alocating funds for improvements to the site and roads, plus, the roads up and over Mt. Penn do not all fall into Reading's city limits.

Basically, the park needs money to fix things. I had been considering trying to organize a meet or touring day of somekind to get people out and donate to the Pagoda's park fund. Anyone interested in that sort of thing?
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

At the last BMR meeting, Jim Oswald told us there was a "clean up Skyline Drive" effort scheduled for this coming (and future) weekends. Can anyone remember the details?

I'm sure Jim can be contacted at Eagle Radiator in Reading.

Rich Rock
Tom Styczynski
Novice

Post by Tom Styczynski »

At Christmas I received a copy of the Shelsley Walsh Hillclimb 100th Anniversary book from my wife. The Midland Automobile Club was faced with a money problem when they received their renewal of the 99 year lease. Being faced with maintenance and improvements they initiated the plan described at the following site:

http://www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk/shelsley_trust.htm

If Duryea/Pagoda requires money for some specific improvements maybe PHA would consider a similar approach. This could also extend to the other PHA sites.
Tom Styczynski

#TBD Lotus 7A
The Oregon division of the Motorworks at Saint Judes

TO GET TO THE TOP YOU HAVE TO START AT THE BOTTOM
MikeF
Novice

Post by MikeF »

Having some more information on the PHA series and the Mt. Penn races on display inside the Pagoda could be a helpful investment. Suring up the relastionship of PHA with the city of Reading and the park is a no-brainer really, how we go about it is really the question. Being that I'm right in Fleetwood, I'm typically available to at least lend some physical hand in matters, even if its just driving up to the top to donate directly.
TAMNOZ
Hall of Fame Member

Post by TAMNOZ »

I'm am a Township Supervisor for the Township that the upper half of Skyline Drive sits on namely Lower Alscace Township. My Township Sec. holds a postion with Pagoda Skyline Inc. which has been very instrumental in the rebuilding of the walls,Wm. Penn Fire Tower and the Pagoda.Her name is Cori Crupi and can be reached at the Township building M-F 8-4 610-779-6400. If you want to try to arrange some kind of fund raiser it would probably be best to talk to her first.
Jim Oswald
SCCA Time Trial Safety Steward