Hillclimb Classification?

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Cumberland Racer
Novice

Hillclimb Classification?

Post by Cumberland Racer »

http://www.nationalroadrally.com/944Williams072906.JPG

Here's a pic of my Prepared class autocross Porsche 944. No cage, partial interior, harness bar, Sparco 5 point belts and non-FIA aftermarket seats, mild suspension mods - 200# lowered springs, factory M030 sway bar upgrade, front strut brace, OE 2.5 liter 8V with JME Stage 1 cam, aftermarket intake and exhaust. Headlight delete, fiberglass rear bumper, hood and front fascia.

Looking now at upgrading/modifying to PHA/SCCA Hillclimb Class. Any suggestions as to which class requires the least number of changes?
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

You will need at least a rollbar, depending on class, you might need a cage.
Since your seat is not FIA or factory, you will also need a seat-back brace.
If your belts are SFI and made within the last 5 years, they should be fine.
You will also need a fireextinguisher with all metal hardware (and bracket!). No plastic pieces. You will also need arm restraints or a windwo net.

That's it for safety stuff.

The hills do not run "prepared" classes, but they do run the "street prepared" classes. However, the lack of headlights and interior bits bump you out of the street prepared/mod classes.

I would think you would be in either one of the Special classes (I think special 2) or ITE (but that class is changing). I am pretty sure both of those classes require a fullcage.

I hope that helps.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
Cumberland Racer
Novice

Sure does help. Cage and FIA seat upgrade are assumed. How about windshield and hatch...will they need anchors in front and straps in the back?

It's been claimed that I'm already somewhat "special" for getting into all this, so that may be the way to go :)
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Dave,
The complete current SCCA Time Trials rules are downloadable at http://www.scca.com under the Club Racing section, click "cars and rules". Of course the members of this forum should be able to answer any questions. I do hope we can have some of the Cumberland crowd ready to run the hill, by then.
Stan Vann
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

I don't have my rule book with me but don't forget Production classes (E maybe?). Roll bar is okay (think about a cage). GT is also a possibility but pretty tuff class although not as bad as Specials.
Glad to have you with us.
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

Remember, the new rule changes that are in the works will probably state that any new cars as of 01/09 and all cars in hillclimbs as of 01/11 require a full cage. So if you plan to campaign the car for more that a short time go with a full cage.
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

I got to look at my 2006 rule book. Looks like you may fit in E Production Limited Prep with a stock throttle body. The Ltd specs are a little lengthy to list here but if you go on line to the SCCA rule book and look at section PCS-43 or contact me and I'll give you a run down without boring everybody else. 07 rules might change???
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
Cumberland Racer
Novice

OK, sorry for the delay in responding...the nerve of those obnoxious people who generate my paycheck :)

Reading a little further, it does sound like the "production" class and maybe E Production would be the place for a lightweight 944 non-Turbo. Am I right in seeing a bit of a parallel between Solo Prepared classes and TT Production? Or is TT Production more like a hybrid between solo Prepared and Mod? In any case, I've got OE throttle body, intake and bottom end, only internal engine mod is a Jon Milledge cam.

Working on prep list now, will share when drafted.
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Prepared in Solo or TT is in between Production and GT for club racing. You have a long way to go to max out of Production. Specials class is realy tuff since it is unlimited beyond even GT modifications. Unless you want to add an oversize turbo and put all the street stuf back on, S Mod is not practicle either.
The other advantage to going E/Prod is it being eligable for club racing giving you a venue beyond TT in SCCA as well as other groups.

Good Luck
Dave Y.
Cumberland Racer
Novice

Thanks, Dave. EP sounds like the way to go. Watch for us on Chop, Cut, Rebuild :)