Roll cage sizing question

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

TIP Jrud
Novice

Roll cage sizing question

Post by TIP Jrud »

So I've been doing a lot of research for my cage and I've been checking several different sets of rules because I plan on doing a lot with this car. So I'm trying to figure out the minumum size tubing that I can use to satisfy all the different class and series requirements.

The SCCA Time trials rules say that you need 1.75x0.120 for any car weighing between 2001-3500. This seems like a huge split especially compared to other class rules. The SCCA GCR says that for a car between 2201-3000, 1.75x0.095 tubing is required. And that is for the IT class. And for production it's 1.5x0.095 for a car weighing between 1501-2500.

My car will definitely weigh under 2500, and most of the other series that I plan on running require a minumum of 1.75x0.095. So if I make it out of this size can I still run Hill Climbs or do I need some type of inspection or special allowance or is it not that big of a deal?

Tim
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Keep in mind the material sizes you are quoting from the TTR apply to cases where only a roll BAR is used. The cage specs defer to the GCR sizing. And if you think about it that does make sense a full cage is stronger than a just a bar so the material size is increased to maintain roll over protection. Also note that per the GCR if you can't maintain the minimum number of bends you have to jump to the next tube size.

And as Rick mention there is a proposal being evaluated that would phase in requirements for cages. So it is certainly worth considering building a cage now, particularly if you intend to hillclimb the car often. You have seen how close we are to trees while racing, right? :D
~Matt Rowe
TIP Jrud
Novice

Post by TIP Jrud »

I knew I had to be missing something simple. Thanks for pointing that out Matt.

I've been going through several different sets of rules over the past couple days, towards the end, I could almost recite some of the sections.

I can maintain the minumum bends, I'm not worried about the design of the cage, I just want to make sure I'm able to pass the rules for everything I plan on doing with the car.

This proposal, I don't think I've seen it yet. But do you mean requirements for full cages in all hill climb cars? Or am I reading that wrong?

Tim