Scattershield? How to do this on a MR2?

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

BillStrong
Novice

Scattershield? How to do this on a MR2?

Post by BillStrong »

I have a Cadillac Northstar V8 using the GM 4T80E Automagic transaxle (manually shifted) in the back of my S3 classed Toyota MR2.

I am using a 16 guage steel firewall. The GCR states that I need a scattershield. How is this done on a transverse rear placement setup?
All of my linkage, and electrics are on top. Anything going over the top will get in the way of this stuff.

Can I just weld another layer of 16 gauge sheet behind the driver?
ktaggart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 66
Current Racecar: Tigger II Formula Super Vee

Post by ktaggart »

My opinion (and it is just an opinion), after checking both the Time Trial rules and the GCR, is that you do not need a scattershield. The stated purpose of the scattershield is to protect the driver if the clutch or flywheel fails. You have neither (flex plate and torque converter don't come apart like a clutch can). Increasing the firewall thickness may give you more peace of mind though.

But, since it will run in S3 (an optional, discretionary class), it is up to the PHA technical inspector to make the final decision. Contact J.W. Orrs.

K. Taggart
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

If you need to run something on the trans, then this SFI 4.1 blanket may work for you. I agree that a flywheel has more stored energy than a TQ converter/flexplate.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Brian