VIR Report?

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

John Pitman
Hall of Fame Member

Post by John Pitman »

Some thoughts on future planning for TTs atVIR:

I paid $35.00 to camp. There was no electric, water or sewer hookups. I believe that fee should be waived for entrants of TTs run on the South Course. I do recognize there is a shower room for tent campers. Please advise VIR, and hint that a dump station would be great as well....it would save a lot of weight for those of us with RVs & trailers with holding tanks to be able to unload them. We could haul home a bit lighter. That would be an asset to the big track as well.

With about 40+ cars the track time was awesome, and the event was very well run. If it gets real popular and 100 cars show up, there are some timing procedures developed by the PHA that could help...like setting the timers on the back stretch. That would reduce the on track time by one full lap (half a warm up and half a cool down lap) and allow for more cars. BUT, I must admit, I did love the track time. I especially like the 4 group set up vice two at PHA events.

Coffee in the morning would be a wonderful addition. PHA events either provide it, or a local organization is on site selling it along with breakfast etc. I do not expect a full meal vendor there, but coffee would be nice.

And, given the entry fee, a plaque or trophy for the top guys in class would be nice. (No, I did not go fast enough).

OK, I grumped. You only get an A on the event, (and I rate none at A+). Well run, great fun, I'll be back.
John Pitman FV95
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Here is a video of two laps of the course where I didn't go off. The image stabilization built into the camera was getting freaked out at the end of the straight by vibration I guess, but you can see how nice the track is.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8363535702
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

How many sessions did you get each day? How many laps per session? Where was the start/finish line?

I entered that event a couple times and they never had a trophy presentation. But, they did mail out nice engraved (name, class and time) medallions to the winners. And, they sent some pics of my car on track! Can't remember how long it took to arrive.

I was thinking about you guys this past weekend. Dave Yeager and I were at Summit Point, crewing for Carl Hindman at the SCCA Driver School.

Rich Rock
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

We had 3 timed sessions on Sat (plus a 20 min practice session) for groups 1&2, and there were about 5 (maybe more) sessions on Sunday if you wanted to run later in the day. Many of us packed up early Sunday to get a jump on the long drive home, but some ran right up to the end.

Start/Finish was at the flag tower in front of the pits.

32 laps for me X 1.65miles = 52.8miles on the track

I used 8 gal of gas for 6.6mpg on the track.
I felt like hugging trees driving my truck home getting a much better 10mpg :lol:
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Ahh so many good times down there for the Solo event. Let's see Robbie bearly making down to the track because his 1985 Ford F-150 lost it's rear main on the way down. Every time we stopped for gas he was putting about 4 quarts of oil in. That was the same year he drove off of the track because a Corvette was nipping at his rear bumper. Rich Rock trying to take the Oak Tree wide open in his TVR and he ALMOST made it. :shock: Oh yeah and my fuel pump fell off when we were out cruising the whole track during lunch break :oops: Good times,good times :lol: .
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

We got back Monday night (We would have gotten home sooner, but went up 29, and happened to pass IAP. So of course we had to stop and meet the GTV from the cover of the catalog, and then Keith needed to get wheel center caps for his car and a "I'd rather be driving my Alfa" sticker for my Lancia :) )

What a lot of fun! It was definitely worth the drive down. I hope the track in Millville (if it happens) is like VIR, although I guess there won't be much in the way of elevation changes.

Keith took a bunch of pictures -- I'll upload them once he's finished sorting through them.

Grace
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

VIR results

Post by svann »

The results from the VIR TTs are posted on the NC Region website: http://www.ncrscca.com/drivers.htm
Stan Vann