Northeast Division Convention - 11/11/06

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

emwavey
Novice

Northeast Division Convention - 11/11/06

Post by emwavey »

Hi folks,

I wanted to wait until everything was set before I announced anything with any fervor, however as I've been "up to my ass in alligators" at work and at home, I am a little later then I expected to extend an invite.

Next weekend is the 2006 Northeast Division, SCCA, Convention (aka "mini-con") and will be held at the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center in Cherry Hill, NJ... on Rte. 70 just off I-295.

For the most part the Convention is one full of Road racing volunteers who either race themselves, or simply help make all the logistical magic happen. You may also notice that there are a couple other "tracks" in the schedule. (seen here: http://www.nerdsracing.com/min...t.xls) Though there is one seminar that is still not solidified, an indoor Karting Arena that is under construction as I write, the rest of the Solo Schedule is final.

One particular seminar that should be a little off the beaten track, is the "Three Dimensional Solo" Seminar. One of our SCCA members, who is also an aerobatic pilot, will be outlining how pilots prepare for there version of autocross competition. Autocrossers of any level should gain some tips/tricks that can be applied to our own cone dodging efforts.

Also, for those who attended either last year's or this year's PDX (PDE) at Pocono, there will be an Open Forum, held by Matt Rowe and Matt Green. This session is intended be a "comparing notes" session for folks from all over the Northeastern Region of the SCCA. At this session, even the occasional track-junkie should also be able to receive and offer insight.

While I'm on the subject of track driving, Ed Zebrowski, of the Glen Region, SCCA, will be conducting a 2-part seminar in the afternoon, outlining the most historical track in North America, Watkins Glen. Using a professional produced DVD, Ed will go through the entire track, from an in-car perspective, as well as offer little tips and tricks about navigating this course quickly and safely.

On-hand, we will have about 25 copies of the book, "Go Ahead - Take the Wheel", by Connecticut resident, Dave Gran. In this book, with comical tone, he outlines and explains how he went road racing on a budget. This is what Michael Andretti said about the book, "Whether as a hobby or as a potential career, Go Ahead - Take the Wheel, gives you everything you need to know to get started in racing."

M&R, a little known company in Millville, NJ will be there demonstrating their tie-downs and harnesses. Unlike most mail-order places, M&R makes all their own harnesses, tie-downs and window nets, amongst other things. So custom length is never an issue, and in most cases turn-around time is very reasonable. ... I use their tie-downs and have a custom window net in my ITA CRX.

A full day of classroom time has been allotted to a program that has really grown in this area in the last year or two. Road Rally, including a segment on RallyCross, will be conducted by Ted Goddard, Regional Rally Chairman. Here discussions and decisions will be made about the Rally program for the upcoming 2007 season. Questions and suggestions are encouraged.

A National Solo awards presentation is scheduled for lunchtime, and Club Racing and Rally awards will be presented at the Banquet, Saturday, Nov. 11th.

Oh and a couple other things, if you're planning on attending the banquet, we have, literally, a pallet load of McGuire's Car Care products to distribute. Brian Snyder, of http://www.nocones.com will either be their in person, or will be sending down some stuff to hand out. We also have a limited number of Grassroots Motorsports "swag" to handout.

Online or mail-in registration is available at http://www.nescca.org and an alternate on-line registration has been set up @ http://www.myautoevents.com (with online payment option.)
Please make your intentions known by November 6th if at all possible

For more information visit nescca.com or contact me directly.

Hope to see you there!

Sincerely,
David Hess
South Jersey Region, SCCA
Activities Director / PDX Novice Destructor
609.704.1996 (h)
609.703.7824 (m)
cill_wavey@yahoo.com