Beaverun Track Trial

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Ray Colbert
Novice
Current Racecar: 2013 Subaru WRX

Beaverun Track Trial

Post by Ray Colbert »

All,

Steel Cities Region will again be having the Beaverun Track Trial on August 5 and 6, 2006. It will likely be a Level 2 Time Trial, run in much the same manner that we ran last year with Saturday AM as familiarization and qulaifying for run order. Sunday will be competition with multiple laps (5 in a row) and limited passing on the straights with a point by. Because of qualifying we had very few passes and we all got bunches of laps (20 to 25). :)

Ray Colbert
Steel Cities Region
Pittsburgh PA
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
jimmyp
Novice

Post by jimmyp »

That sounds great.
Will the reg info on a website?
Thanks
jimmy p.
Jimmy P.
#98 Silver BMW M3 - ITE
Ray Colbert
Novice

Steel Cities Region Track Trials August 5 and 6, 2006

Post by Ray Colbert »

All,

As prviously announced the Steel Cities Track Trials are being held Aug 5 and 6, 2006 at BeaveRun Raceway Park. Attached are links to the Supplementary Rules and the Application form. Any questions I can be reached at raynjackiec@adelphia.net or Raymond.Colbert@alcoa.com.

Direct links:
http://www.steelcities-scca.org/roadrac ... ryForm.pdf
http://www.steelcities-scca.org/roadrac ... _Supps.pdf
http://www.steelcities-scca.org/newsite ... tml#racing

Thanks,

Ray Colbert
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi Ray,

Is this a Level 2 event? Just wondered it sounded like it. FYI, you may want to add your sanction number and what Level event this is on the entry form.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Ray Colbert
Novice

Beaverun Track Trial

Post by Ray Colbert »

All,

This is a level 2 event.

Sanction Number has been posted.

Ray
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
Ray Colbert
Novice

Beaverun Track Trial

Post by Ray Colbert »

Got one entry. Thank you Mr Dick Pickles.

Keep em commin!!!!!

Ray :D
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
Ray Colbert
Novice

Steel Cities Track Trial

Post by Ray Colbert »

As the principle player (Vintage Nascar) has pulled out due to lack of participation the event is in danger of being cancelled. We need participants!!! Steel Cities cannot afford to foot the bill for the costs if there are only 13 cars like last year. Beaver run will pay for the track by having a driver school but there are still many other expenses (food Emergency Services etc.). If you were planning on going or just curious I'd say now is the time to step up to the plate.

We will have instructors and the entry is $125.00 if you do not have a transponder and $105.00 if you do. Check the Steel Citoes Region web site for registration and sups. Do not forget to read the supplemental safety requirements.

Ray Colbert
Steel Cities Region :cry:
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
jimmyp
Novice

Post by jimmyp »

Ray,
I am VERY interested in attending this event,,, however the only reason I have paused was after reading the interaction of another clubs event (Vintage NASCAR) on the same track.
I started to reconsider going to Summit Point that weekend and instructing with NJ BMWCCA.

It started sounded like towing 6 hours for not alot of seat time, nor much open track time.
I "assumed" when transponders were involved there would be run segmented run groups (maybe by class or speed potential?), 20-30 minute sessions with passing by point by, timing by transponders, all laps counted. Basically like a DE with timing...

Then reading the description on Steel Cities website, it seemed like alot more like the way we run the Jeff.

What kind of seat time would you estimate now?

I'm all about attending and supporting this event, but I am hesitant to tow 6 hours for 6 - 5 lap sessions over two days.
4x 25-ish minute sessions per day with all laps counting,,, I'm there.

Any insight / estimate on how much track time we will see?
Thanks very much
jimmy pettinato
Jimmy P.
#98 Silver BMW M3 - ITE
Ray Colbert
Novice

Steel Cities Track Trial

Post by Ray Colbert »

Jimmy,

To compare this to the Jefferson Circuit events we usually get 6-7 3 lap sessions at Jefferson. That is a maxuimum of 21 mins on track Effectively you are out there alone unless you catch a slower driver. Generally we are separated by 30 secs.

The Track Trial here has 5 lap sessions and depending on the number of cars I expect a minimum of 5 (or 25 mins). We are not separated greatly by time. This is what we got last year (with a 45 min hiatus for broken car removal.

This event was targeted to Solo people and giving them an opportunity to try another couple of gears. I cannot go longer than 5 laps/session as Solo people on soft tires will have them go away on this track. It is like a short DE with Timing esp on Sunday when the point by passing is allowed.

We did count all laps last year for times as the data was recorded.

We are already at the limits of the Time Trials rules with the point by.

Right now our issue is getting a minimum number of cars. The Steel Cities Board is really concerned about loosing a lot of money. Our break even is 21 drivers. At this point I am very pessimistic about the event occuring.

Your input is very valuble though. Maybe we need to look at the format and see if we can retarget for Track Days drivers with times. Apparently the heavily prepared Solo driver doesn't want to spend money on a roll structure (and it's heavy). The racer/track days driver wants more time on track. There is little compromise room.

Ray Colbert :cry:
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
jimmyp
Novice

Post by jimmyp »

Thanks for the honest assessment Ray.

I didnt realise this was more targeted to attracting Solo2 type drivers.

I'm personally most definitely in the latter category, looking for max track time with an outcome or not.

I suport the Jefferson events when I can (work schedule wise), because its a fun track and only about a 4 hour tow.

That open track format is what NASA has going on with their Time Trial program.
25 minute DE type track sessions with transponders keeping tabs on timing.
Fastest times at the end of the day wins class.

Its not made its way to the northeast yet as NASA Northeast is just really finding its way after its merger / purchase by PDA.
I am very hopefull that they get it rolling out here.
Its rocking on the west coast and mid Ohio region by the sounds of it.

I am still hopefull that is ultimately what the SCCA Time Trial program will evolve into.
I really believe using transponders to acheive max track time, (replacing the old way of timing lights, three cars and lots of waiting) are the future of Time Trialing.

Good luck with the event, I sinecerly hope you get enough drivers, because it could generate interest in the "other" version and I'll sure be there for those.
Cheers
jimmy pettinato
Jimmy P.
#98 Silver BMW M3 - ITE
Ray Colbert
Novice

Steel Cities Track Trial

Post by Ray Colbert »

All,

This event has officially been cancelled due to the principal weekend participant leaving and then a withdrawel of track time by Beaverun. We also had very few takers on the event.

I need to revise the format and the target particiapants.

Thanks to those that did register.

Ray :cry:
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA