Rose Valley

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

EIMC 914
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 59

Rose Valley

Post by EIMC 914 »

During a conversation this weekend at Giant's I learned that this may be the last year for the RoseValley Hillclimb due to low attendence and the ability for the event to cover expenses. This is not good news and prompted me to make this post.

If you have done this event before I'm sure you feel the same way as I do that this is a great small town and a great event. Like most of our events we get a good turnout of spectators to witness what we do and is appreciated by all.

This event has operated in the red and has been subsidized by at least 1 of the event organizers.

I am asking for everyone to rally around this event and try to revive it so that it continues. Not just for selfish reasons but for the PHA series as a whole.

Consoder this, if we lose this hill we will be down to 3 towns with 5 events. (leaving out Summit Point which is a track event) I realize the possibility of getting Cumberland, MD however this should be an addition instead of a replacement. Our fields are continuing to grow in numbers and I don't think we want our venues to decrease. This will not be good for the long term growth.

If you are planning on going great. If you are not reconsider. If you haven't been there GO!!!

If anyone has any contacts for sponsors or other ideas this would be a good time to come forward.

Thanks in advance

Joe
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Sponsorship is a big plus to the bottomline and should have been pursued by now. There is also program ads that can be bought, for that matter you or anyone can make a donation to the event. Mail in an extra $10. or whatever you can afford.

I would also suggest having a 50/50 drawing for the event.
Regards,

Tim Royer
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

I'm planning on attending this year ... it's my first time going there.
I hope there is plenty of room to camp :)
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
jgrausa
Novice

Re: Rose Valley

Post by jgrausa »

This event has operated in the red and has been subsidized by at least 1 of the event organizers.

Joe,
You raise a very important issue and that is the financial organization, not only of Rose Valley, but of each of the events in the PHA series. Many of us, myself included, are not aware of the expenses incurred by each individual event. Where might one go to find this specific information?

If one was to offer additional financial assistance, who would receive the funds for this particular event, BMR, PHA or the local Fire Department?

Thanks,
Joe Rausa
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

The events are organized by the following regions/groups which have the financial responsibility for the events.
Spring Jefferson and Giant's - DG Motorsports
Spring and Fall Weatherly - Weatherly Hillclimb Association
Pagoda, Duryea and Fall Jefferson - BMR
Rose Valley - Matt Rowe

I can tell you the budgets for Pagoda, Duryea and Fall Jefferson.
Pagoda - Between 12 and 14 K
Duryea - Between 24 and 25 K
Fall Jeff - Between 7 and 8 K

As treasurer for BMR, I don't want to think about what the budget for Giant's was this year, it had to be a lot more.

For Rose Valley, Matt Rowe absorbes all of the expenses. The fire company does get money. He would have to answer that.

I hope that the above organizer list is correct, if not I'm sure someone will post a correction.

Nelson
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

I would also like to say that Rose Valley is a great event. The area is beautiful. You will not see more amazing landscape at any other event. The road is a blast. And the crowd loves us. It is worth the trip.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond to this sooner, but let me say a couple things here as the event organizer.

First, while I certainly appreciate the sentiment and Joe's concern, I also wouldn't want anyone to attend out of a sense of guilt, need, or anything other than a desire to run the hill. I feel the hill is a great challenge to run and I try to put on an enjoyable event that people want to come to. Virtually everyone who has been there seems to want to come back, the problem seems to be getting people there for their first run. I have a feeling this is going to be the biggest challenge that the organizers of Cumberland are going to face, although the novelty of a new hill should help at first.

Second, Nelson is pretty much on target for with his statements. I can clarify some items about Rose Valley. The budget falls between 7 and 8 K. The fire company receives a certain amount that covers the Saturday party, equipment rental and other incidentals. I will also say that it is a bargain considering the effort and expenses they have and they rely on concession sales in order to make a profit. So any additional funding goes towards offsetting the organizers expenses.

Finally, I would say that many people are not aware of the role of PHA in the series. Historically (as I ahve been told, I'm not that old) PHA has served to provide standardization and coordination between the different events of the series. Back before SCCA and their classes PHA was the means by which individual hills could develop consistent rules, procedures, classes and so. But, PHA has never had the authority to dictate to the events or any financial responsibility. The only reason PHA collects the small per car fee is to support year end trophies and the banquet. Aside from those items PHA really has very limited expenses.

Now, that has been the way PHA and the series has operated for years. That is not to say it is the only way or that changing times might not require a change in philosophy. But not everyone seems to be aware of how things work currently and any changes are not to be made lightly. As soon as PHA tries to take a larger role in event operation there a number of issues of coordination between events that will have to be dealt with and many of those problems are not trivial.

Well, thank you all for your support. For those that have been to Rose Valley before I know you know how much fun the event is and for those who haven't yet been there I hope we will see you this year.
~Matt Rowe