95 M3 - gutted interior, full cage - WHAT CLASS?

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

///Mracer
Novice

95 M3 - gutted interior, full cage - WHAT CLASS?

Post by ///Mracer »

I will be preparing my car for BMW club racing (removing interior, full cage etc..) in the near future and wandering which class I will fall under for the hills? ITE is a catch all, anything else? Maybe a Special?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt - '95 M3 (now in ITE trim!)

Jefferson Spr. C.W. - 57.5 (SM Record 06)
Pagoda - 60.9 (BSP Record 05)
Duryea - 123.6 (ITE '06)
griffinbilt
Novice

gt class

Post by griffinbilt »

not sure what specific gt class, but it can be found on the scca homepage
**Mr. Exictement Himself**
1988 #767gt3 scirocco
dlascoskie
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 666
Current Racecar: 96 Ford Mustang GT

Post by dlascoskie »

Oh Yeah!!!!! Club racing baby! That's what my long term goal is with the mustang too. Good luck with the conversion!
Dan
dlascoskie@msn.com

2007 ESP Class Champion

jimmyp
Novice

Post by jimmyp »

Welcome to ITE Matt

Its the great dumping ground of race prepped BMW M cars.
Its pretty much the only place SCCA gives us M cars to run in (unless you go to specials,,, but thats a weird area,,, some wild sh*t in there).

Then its all down to trying to reel in ole Gordon...

Cheers
Jimmy P.
#98 BMW M3 - ITE
*hoping work allows me to see Fall Jeff.
Jimmy P.
#98 Silver BMW M3 - ITE
///Mracer
Novice

Post by ///Mracer »

jimmyp wrote:Welcome to ITE Matt

Its the great dumping ground of race prepped BMW M cars.
Its pretty much the only place SCCA gives us M cars to run in (unless you go to specials,,, but thats a weird area,,, some wild sh*t in there).

Then its all down to trying to reel in ole Gordon...

Cheers
Jimmy P.
#98 BMW M3 - ITE
*hoping work allows me to see Fall Jeff.
....hmmm, I beat Gordon's ITE record at Jefferson last week while running in SM :D

Duryea - 123.6 (ITE '06)
jimmyp
Novice

Post by jimmyp »

Well there ya go.
I've been chasing him for a few years,,, squeeking up on him every time,,, just cant quite get up on him though.

It would be great to have some more cars in ITE than just Gordon and I,,, although it would likely bounce me down to third place out of three of us,,, I'd still rather have more cars to play with.

Hope to meet you at Fall Jeff (work permitting for me).
Cheers
jimmy
Jimmy P.
#98 Silver BMW M3 - ITE
///Mracer
Novice

Post by ///Mracer »

jimmyp wrote:
Hope to meet you at Fall Jeff (work permitting for me).
Cheers
jimmy
I started gutting the car last week. Should be ready for Fall Jeff. Hopefully see you there.
Matt

Duryea - 123.6 (ITE '06)
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

I for one am a little confused here. You mention on one subject "Gutting your car" and another "club racing". Do you mean BMW club or SCCA "club"? If you are going "club" racing in SCCA you"ll need a full cage and no "gutting" in IT. I don't know what BMW club allows in their "racing" groups. You had better get a SCCA GCR book for the group you want to run in.
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

I believe I misunderstood your first post. You were refering to removing seats and carpets. That is allowed in IT along with headliner and left door panel if the side bars protrude into the door. Be sure you build the cage to 2006 IT specs and be aware of future requirements that would be wise to include now.

Dave Y.
///Mracer
Novice

Post by ///Mracer »

dspgti wrote:I for one am a little confused here. You mention on one subject "Gutting your car" and another "club racing". Do you mean BMW club or SCCA "club"? If you are going "club" racing in SCCA you"ll need a full cage and no "gutting" in IT. I don't know what BMW club allows in their "racing" groups. You had better get a SCCA GCR book for the group you want to run in.
yes I will be doing club racing and I am building a full cage. It is being built to BMW CCA club racing and NASA specs, it will fall into the catch all ITE class where all interior can be removed or "gutted". I asked the question above because the car is totally gutted but my cage construction will not start until early July and I was trying to run Pagoda which is in June. I was asking if I can run with my current roll bar setup and gutted interior because the cage will not be done, yet.

Matt

Duryea - 123.6 (ITE '06)
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

I was waiting for the tech guys to answer your post. As far as I know all IT classes only require a "roll bar" for time trials. Hope to see you at Pagoda.

Dave Y
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

95 M3- gutted interior

Post by Joe Foering »

Roll cages are NOT required in Improved Touring classes for Time Trials competition; cars are required to have as a minimum a roll bar "that meets the description in Section 18 of the TTR."
I would read very carefully the rules relating to "gutting" the interior in IT cars as stated in the GCR...for example, it states that the drivers door ONLY may be gutted and then only if the roll cage has NASCAR-style side protection extending into the door. Since you intend to compete in events other than TT, be sure that you conform to their requirements, but make sure that you don't exceed those modifications allowed in the TTR or you may have a problem meeting tech at our events.
///Mracer
Novice

Post by ///Mracer »

thanks for the info, I was not aware that I could still compete in ITE with just my roll bar. However, the car is being dropped off this week to start cage construction, so hopefully I will be at Duryea.

I guess I should be using a different word than "gutting", basically I am removing all interior, sound deadoning and trim pieces. I will not be "gutting" the doors unless the nascar style bars need the space. As of now I still have functioning electric windows :D

thanks,
Matt

Duryea - 123.6 (ITE '06)