Question on points

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

JekylandHyde
Novice

Question on points

Post by JekylandHyde »

On this page: http://www.pahillclimb.org/Points/2005/Summary.htm

There is this graph:
A competitor's lowest scoring events are dropped from the final total based on the following schedule

Five Events or less- None

Six to Eight Events - 1 Drop

Nine to Ten Events - 2 Drops

Eleven or More Events - 3 Drops
Seeing as the series goes by total points, and not an average,
why would you want to drop any events?!

What's the point of that?
And why was an event dropped from classes, but not all of them?

It looks like some have the "drop" within the same class and others do not (both competitors running all 8 events).

(sorry if I am missing something obvious, I'm just trying to understand)
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

The reason behind dropping the lowest pointed event is to allow dropping a 0 (zero) event that you could not attend. For instance, you made all but one of eight events and placed first in each event attended, total points = 70.
Another driver in the same class made all events and placed second in all except the one you missed where they took first, total points (w/o drop) = 73
Total points (w/drop) = 64. It allows the dominate driver a chance to win year end while missing one event.

I'm not sure what you mean on the second question. Can you point out an example?
Nelson
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Since, I am the pointskeeper; I should answer this one.

First, we have been using the 10 to 1 points system since the beginning of PHA. It rewards winning and running the whole series.

This is where the drops come in. PHA put in system of drops in an effort to help out the drivers; who for some reasons had car problems, family issues, or could not afford to run each event; stay in the hunt for the championship.

With that written, to qualify for a championship a driver must complete in one more than half the events.
Which last year was 5 events of the 8.
Example 1. A driver ran 5 events and won all 5 with 50 pts. The drop was an event that the driver did not run.
Example 2. A driver ran 7 of the 8, again the only drop was the event the driver did not run.
Example 3. A driver ran all 8 events, then the worst score would be tossed out.
With all that written, there is a chance that a driver could run every event and have the most points but, lose the championship due to a drop.
I guess instead of drops(a term that the PHA has used for years), we really should say the best 7 out of 8 with 5 events needed for a championship.

Rich Sweigart
PHA pointskeeper
Rich Sweigart
Novice
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

I am still trying to figure out the last one but, I do know of a few classes last year in which a more than one driver ran the whole series and most of the class had drops. Formula Ford and Showroom Stock A come to mind, in which the top 2 drivers had drops. We also had a number of one driver classes which had drivers with drops.

I hope that this helped out. Should Flintstone Hillclimb happen this year, we will have 2 drops; if, not we will only have one drop. No matter what happens, a driver will have to run 5 events to qualify for a championship trophy and have the most points in the class after the drops.

Rich Sweigart
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Thanks for the fast response. I never really paid attention to the points before and this caught me by surprise when I saw it. Now that I understand the reasoning, I like it :)

When I first posted above, I did not realize that you could drop a "missed event."

As the last part of my question, when I referenced 2 drivers in the same class that did all 8 events, but only had one dropped: H1
Historic one, it looks like the #1 driver had an event dropped and the #2 driver did not. They both did 8 events.

Rich Sweigart
Novice
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Human error! Tom should have only had 60 pts.
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

It's not like it made a difference in the outcome. As I said, I saw that rule, didn't quite grasp it and went searching and then it did not add up.

I'm easily confused :)

Thanks for setting me straight Rich.
I appreciate your time and quick response.

dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Maybe it's time to consider eliminating the drop issue? Or limit it 1 regardless of the number of events? I don't know of any other race series that allows drops. If you want to win the series, run the series.
Just another opinion.
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

For what it's worth, I agree with Dave. We award bonus points for running the entire series in the team championship, but in effect penalize a driver who runs the whole series in the individual championship.
#7 ITC
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Then I guess we have to have no alternates then and see how teams really worked :?: I would be willing to bet the outcome would be different.

Drops still award people that attend every event. Sometimes there's things that break or you have something else planned that must be attended. By having drops it lets drivers that are serious in the series not be penalized for missing 1.

I think that it works well the way it is and would like to hear arguments to the contrary.

You maybe the one that would benifit from this one day.
Regards,

Tim Royer