Specials Rules

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

george bowland

Specials Rules

Post by george bowland »

I have an A-Mod car that I run at the Crow Mt and Blue Ridge hillclimbs. It is a legal A-Mod and also meets the SCCA rules for specials under Time Trials rules. I ran some of the PHA events circa 1987, 1988 in another A-Mod car that was a little more conventional than my current one. I also run this car at three road course type Time Trials. As I remember, PHA has some rules that are different than we use in the Southeast for specials, even though I meet the SCCA requirements. Can someone clarify the rules, or send me a copy of the existing PHA specials regs?
Thanks, George Bowland
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Special Rules

Post by Mwilson »

As I understand it engine size determines what special class you may run, 1, 2, or 3.
Special 1 up to 1650cc
Special 2 from 1651 to 3500cc
Special 3 from 3501 to 500 cubic inch
Obviously the same safety rules apply to all special classes.

Hope this helps.
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

Here are the Special Class rules from the supps:

SPECIAL CLASSES: Automobiles that are of a design and construction not covered in the Solo I or Regional Classes of SCCA. All cars competing in this category shall conform to the following specifications:
1. Meet the safety requirements as outlined in the GCR and SIR.
2. Have operating suspension on all wheels.
3. The chassis must be equally distributed along the centerline of the car.
4. The body style may be open or closed wheel.
5. Aerodynamic devices (wings) must conform to the description of aerodynamic devices included in the SOLO I-II Modified Class rules and/or to the GCR.
There will be three classes offered in this category:
CLASS ENGINE DISPLACEMENT
S-1 0 to 1650cc
S-2 1651 to 3500cc
S-3 3501cc to 500 cubic in
(A non-atmospheric multiplication factor of 1.5 will be used, turbocharged/supercharged, etc)

Please note that a roll cage as per scca GCR specs is required.

Nelson
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

The BBR Shark

Post by svann »

You might enjoy seeing George's Special run and it may answer the question. See http://www.autocross.us go to "event videos", go to "best of Autocross.us videos, check out #2,3,5. The in-car video is great. This is the current OA record holder at all the SCCA Southeast TT events and also the current A Mod SCCA Solo National Champ. He needs to join us in 2006.
Stan Vann
ktaggart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 66
Current Racecar: Tigger II Formula Super Vee

A/Mod

Post by ktaggart »

Hi George

You really need to come up and join us. Chimney Rock may bite but Duryea is just the hill for the BBR. Hope to see you this summer.

To All, this is one fast car / driver combination. He may very well "own" the records for our hills very quickly.

Ken Taggart
george bowland

Post by george bowland »

Thanks Ken and Stan for the good press, but my car is not well suited for the fast PHA hills. As I remember, the car I ran in Redding in 1988 was at about 130 mph at the finish. Thats only about 50 mph faster than my current car would achieve. I might be competitive at Weatherly and Pagoda, but the others are much too fast for this current design.
George

BTW Ken.....Is it true that you caused Stan to crash at Hershey after going so far under his time? I think he is still blaming you for that.
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

Don't speak of such things! Hershey is a spirited exhibition. We don't care about times there!
#7 ITC
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

George,
Please, Ken only made me get STUPID! My fault entirely. Of course we only parade up that hill. :roll:
Stan Vann
ktaggart
Novice

Post by ktaggart »

George,

I felt really bad for Stan but he wasn't hooked to me with a logging chain! Last year bit me, I got a taste of the hillside at turn 1 myself. We don't really "race" but still have a ton of fun "comparing" times.

Stan,

Are you coming up to join us at Hershey this year? Jefferson?
george bowland

Post by george bowland »

Thanks Nelson for the most complete answer I have been able to get. But, and there always is a but, what exactly does #1 mean? Meet the safety requirements of the GCR and S1R. The current Time Trials Rules for Level 4 events do not require that all the safety rules listed in the GCR be met. For instance, fuel cells are not required. Does the PHA require such things a fuel cells, foot box crush structures, foot positon specs? Who makes the decision on whether a car is legal or not? How do I reach him?
George
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

George

Please review, what is the car, is it an old club racing car (with a log book), is it a street car? Give details and I will try to place it in a class. The TT rules that say it may not have to meet all GCR rules will not apply to th a car that will be in the specials classes, thay need all safety regs met.
Rick Kase
george bowland

Post by george bowland »

Rick Case
Please see my original post above. I built the car and therefore it is unique. Although I have run it for four years in Southeast Division hillclimbs and flat track events, and it has a Southeast Division Solo 1 logbook, I am concerned that it will not meet the PHA requirements. I don't want to make a 1000 mile trip and find that I can't compete. I need to get someone to tell me exactly what I need to meet PHA rules, and just a statement that it must meet the safety rules in the GCR and SIR does not pin it down enough. The new Track Trials rules do not require me to meet some of the GCR safety rules and I need to know if PHA does.
George
LARRY LONG
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 39
Current Racecar: Bradley

PHA rules

Post by LARRY LONG »

Hello George

I believe you use to run the Harrisburg, Pa. Solo II's in the late 80's when I had my F440.

All PHA SCCA Hillclimbs are run uder the rules of the SCCA Time Trials program. Your car has a log book and was legal at other Time trials events.

Now can anyone tell me why he couldn't run?

Larry Long
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Here's a picture of it. George, in my email to you I explained that as Special class it most conform with that type of class rules. This is a formula based car so it conforms with the safety rules in the formula section of the GCR. The car rules from SE to NE on Special classes are the same I believe. Most critical points are tubing size and thickness. See Section 18 in the GCR for your specs on bars in what weight the car is.

You asked about fuel cells before, here is TT rule on it.
17.12. Fuel Cells

Requirements for fuel cells are waived in Time Trials, however
any car with a fuel cell must meet all requirements of GCR
section 17.12. and all subsections.
Your car should be good if it was teched right as far as the structure goes. Or rules are the same as yours TT (Time Trials) and GCR, the event supps maybe different slightly.

The only sure way of making sure it does comply is bringing up to be teched or getting SCCA to issue a Logbook that is Time Trials only. Others have done that, then there's no questions about structure or is it safe etc. It's easy to do thur SCCA call and tell them you need a TT Logbook. Although I personal think your vehicle would pass with flying colors 8) Looks like an A1 build to me. But better to safe then sorry on this one.

Regards,

Tim Royer
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI;

Here is an example of Event Sups.

2005 TIME TRIALS SUPPLEMENTARY REGULATIONS

This event is scheduled as a two-day event; all cars will compete both days. A driver unable to compete on either day forfeits all timed runs
offered for that day. A driver showing up for registration and tech inspection after timed runs have started forfeits any missed runs. This
event is run under the SCCA Time Trials rules and GCR specifications.

APPLICATION: Application blanks must be filled in completely and returned to the respondent indicated on the entry blank. Payment in
the form of check or money order or cash (if paid in person) must accompany the completed application form. Entries will be accepted on a
first come first served basis. Refunds for cancellations will be at the discretion of the Event Organizer. Each driver must submit a separate
application. Two drivers per car will be permitted. If there are any questions or special requests, contact the Organizer whose name and
telephone number are listed on the entry form.

ENTRY LIMITS: The first 100 entries will be firm entries. All applications postmarked after the specified date (if any) will be considered late
entries and will be charged a late entry fee.

DRIVER ELIGIBILITY: Open to all SCCA National, Regional, Time Trial (Solo 1) License holders, Novice Competition Permits and Time Trial
(Solo 1) Novices as well as competition licenses recognized by SCCA. Every driver regardless of competition license or novice permit must be
a full national member of SCCA. All drivers must present a valid state driver’s license along with their competition license and SCCA
membership card at registration.

CAR ELIGIBILITY: Open to all categories listed in the current GCR, Solo II Street Prepared, Solo V, Street Mod, Street Mod 2 and the
Specials classes. Cars will be classed in SCCA classes for championship points. Historic, Vintage and Rally classes will also be eligible as
per the SCCA GCR and these supplemental regulations.

PIT AREA: Only competition cars will be allowed in the pit area. No alcoholic beverages are permitted in the pit area during hours of
competition. Failure to comply will result in disqualification.

DRIVER CONDUCT: All drivers are expected to display patience and courtesy. Cars will return to the pits on the racecourse and must slow
down when the exit the racecourse into the pits. BE AWARE AT ALL TIMES FOR FOOT TRAFFIC IN THE PITS.

TECHNICAL INSPECTION: In accordance with the GCR and the TIME TRIALS rules, a full safety check of your car will be made before you
will be permitted to compete. All vehicles will be subject to technical inspection at this event. Muffler requirements are waived for this event,
however, if a muffler is required for your class, it must be used. Hardtops and sunroofs must be removed and/or securely fastened.
Convertible tops must be down and securely fastened. Roll bars and roll hoops must conform to GCR/TIME TRIALS specifications. Brake
lights are required on all cars except formula cars. All forward facing lights must be taped. Five or six point driver restraint systems are
required; “Y” harnesses are not allowed. Car numbers and class letters must conform to TTR specifications and should be affixed to body
panels rather than glass. First time entrants can have full tech, certification and purchase logbooks at the event. Vehicle logbooks are
mandatory.

CAR AND DRIVER TECHNICAL REQUIREMENT: All personal and car safety equipment must comply with the current SCCA GCR and
TIME TRIALS regulations.

DISQUALIFICATIONS: Any car using any road other than the course to return to the start will automatically be disqualified. Any driver
found to have received any tickets for traffic violations on the course while it is open to the public, if applicable, will be disqualified. Drivers
are also responsible for their service vehicles, any support or service vehicle found racing on any public road or access road during the
course of the event will cause his driver to be disqualified. Any driver bringing an unauthorized passenger in his/her competition vehicle
from any area of the course will be disqualified.

RUNNING OF CLASSES: All entrants must run in their designated groups. (Exceptions for good and sufficient reason will be considered.)

RUNS:
a. A rolling start will be used with electronic timing.
b. MANDATORY SHUT DOWN IS REQUIRED IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE FINISH LINE (except for track events).
c. If a RED FLAG is displayed, you MUST STOP immediately and await further instructions from the F&C team.
d. If a driver has not registered or passed tech by 12:00 noon on Saturday (if a two day event), his first timed run will be considered a
familiarization run and will not qualify as an official timed run.
e. Registration and Tech will close at 12:00 noon on Saturday (if a two day event). Exceptions by appointment only and at the
discretion of the event organizer and tech inspector.

CAR NUMBERS: Car numbers and class letters must appear on both sides of the car. Numbers will be no less than 8” high, minimum
width of line 1-1/2”. Two driver cars are responsible for changing numbers between runs. Time will be assigned to the number on the car.

STREET PREPARED AND SOLO V (MODIFIED CLASS C): Car preparation must meet the Street prepared or Solo V specifications set forth
in the SCCA Solo II regulations. Both car and driver must meet the safety requirements outlined in the TTR.

STREET MOD: Car preparation must meet the Street Mod or Street Mod 2 specifications set forth in the SCCA Solo II regulations. Both car
and driver must meet the safety requirements outlined in the TTR.
RALLY: rally class will be offered to competitors who hold divisional or national Pro Rally license and whose cars are made to Club/Pro
Rally specs.

TROPHIES: Trophies will be awarded as per the current SCCA GCR/TIME TRIALS rules.

OTHER SUPPLEMENTAL REGULATIONS:
a. Catch tanks are required on all cars with altered cooling systems.
b. ARM RESTRAINTS are MANDATORY for all drivers in open cars.
c. WINDOW NETS or ARM RESTRAINTS are MANDATORY for all drivers in sedan type cars.
d. In car cameras must be securely mounted to the vehicle and will be inspected during the Tech process. Camera mountings
deemed unsafe will not be permitted during competition. Camera MUST be mounted at tech.
e. All novice cars MUST display three (3) ID stripes as per GCR/TTR.
f. All drivers, their crew and guests MUST sign the waiver and be issued a credential. Credentials for crew and guests must be
displayed at all times.
g. Current SCCA & PHA stickers must be appropriately displayed.
h. Noise limiters are suggested for any car whose sound level is above the decibel levels outlined in the GCR. For the Jefferson track
events, the sound level is 95dba.

SPECIAL CLASSES: Automobiles that are of a design and construction not covered in the TIME TRIALS or Regional Classes of SCCA. All
cars competing in this category shall conform to the following specifications:
1. Meet the safety requirements as outlined in the GCR and TTR.
2. Have operating suspension on all wheels.
3. The chassis must be equally distributed along the centerline of the car.
4. The body style may be open or closed wheel.
5. Aerodynamic devices (wings) must conform to the description of aerodynamic devices included in the TIME TRIALS
SOLOII Modified Class rules and/or to the GCR.

There will be three classes offered in this category:
CLASS ENGINE DISPLACEMENT
S-1 0 to 1650cc
S-2 1651 to 3500cc
S-3 3501cc to 500 cubic in
(A non-atmospheric multiplication factor of 1.5 will be used, turbocharged/supercharged, etc)

VINTAGE/HISTORIC:
Classes – Prewar: Pre-1950 cars
Vintage: 1950 to Pre-1963 Sports Cars and Sedans; 1950 to Pre-1960 Sports Racing; 1952 to pre-1961 Formula Cars, plus all
Formula Jr., Formula 3 (500cc) and Formula Vee Pre-1966.
Historic: 1963 to Pre-1973 Sports Cars, GT Cars and Sedans; 1960 to Pre-1973 Sports Racing, FIA and Can-Am cars;
1961 to Pre-1973 Formula cars, plus all Formula 5000.
The classes will be further divided into the following sub-classes:
Prewar
Vintage 1 (V1) Under 2000cc Sports Cars and Sedans
Vintage 2 (V2) Over 2000cc Sports Cars and Sedans
Vintage 3 (V3) Sports Racing and Formula Cars
Historic 1 (H1) Under 2000cc Sports Cars and Sedans
Historic 2 (H2) Over 2000cc Sports Cars and Sedans
Historic 3 (H3) Sports Racing and Formula Cars

There must be at least two (2) or more cars to form a subclass. Cars will be bumped up to form a subclass.

RULES
1. Cars will be prepared to the following current editions of Solo1, TIME TRIALS Rules, Vintage Competition Rulebook and GCR,
where applicable. Should a car not meet the above rules, it must be approved by the Chief Steward and/or Safety Steward.
2. No kit cars in these categories unless raced during the time periods in rules above.
3. A vintage or historic car will not be able to compete at full competition speed unless it conforms to the current safety/roll bar rules
specific in the current GCR, TTR. If a car does not conform to these specifications, it may be allowed to take exhibition runs at the
posted road speed limit with no time posted. No exhibition runs will be allowed at track events.
Regards,

Tim Royer
ktaggart
Novice

Post by ktaggart »

As a Solo Saftey Steward and tech inspector for Susquehanna Region, I would say George's previous cars have always met the GCR and Solo II supplimentals but I must admit I have not inspected this particular car. George and Todd have designed and built some of the fastest A Mod cars in the country as evidenced by their National Championships. I, personally, have no doubt that this car exemplifies the same standards as the previous ones and doubt if there is any reason that it would not pass our tech as well. All of that being said, I am not the one who must make a decision as to the legality of it, so don't pack it up on the trailer yet, George. But, I am not aware of any TT rules that would prohibit a car that has passed inspection at the Solo II Nationals from competing in TT. I believe that in this case, the only differentiation ( including PHA supplimentals ) would come in the form of the driver's saftey equipment required but I have been wrong before :oops:

The only problem I see is that your times may just embarass the hell out of most of us :shock:

Ken
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

I finally saw good photos of the car. it looks very nice. I have several questions. In one photo (driver in car at an autocross) the angle appears that the top of the helmet is not 2 inches below the rop of the roll bar (very critical) this must be verified.
Again from the photo - does the roll cage meet the standard in the GCR, from the photo it looks like the forward braces (from rear roll hoop to front hoop) might be in question IE size and attachment.
It is very hard to tell from photos and a decision will never be made that way.
Written details will help.
Remember there is a difference between level 3 and 4, this car at level 3 can run a roll bar, level 4 needs a full legal cage.
Rick Kase
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Yeah I see that problem with the bar also. George, the rear main hoop looks like it must be higher. As per rules, to save face if there was a rollover, lay a board across the top of the rear mail hoop and front hoop. Your helmet must be under this board or line from those 2 points. In this picture it does look like it is just under the rear main hoop if you would draw a line out horizontally.

Also Solo 2 cars still need to conform to TT rules and GCR rules.
Regards,

Tim Royer