Tires

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

gdh57
Site Admin

Tires

Post by gdh57 »

I was wondering if autocross tires are usable for hillclimbs?

Assuming it's dry --

I'm planning to run my car (with 2 drivers) at Pagoda, and I have a choice of Hoosier AS304's, with a couple of autocross events on them, or Kumho Victoracer V700's, with a couple of track events on them from the previous owner of the car, and that are a few years old. Can the AS304's take it, or am I better off with the Kumhos?

I will eventually be going with Goodyear slicks, but I don't think the new wheels will arrive in time (thanks for the recommendation Brian! Yes, I did manage to find 13X7 wheels that should clear the front calipers!).

Thanks!

Grace
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

I just raced on the Kumho Ectsa V700s and was quite pleased.
My friend Fabio has been racing on the Victoracers for a few years now.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates

Post by Guest »

use the hoosiers.
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Hill Climbs for the most part are very hard to get heat into the tires because it is such a short period of time that you running. The best tire to run would be the Hoosiers they are softer and have less runs on them. Save the Victors for Jefferson.

My 2 cents.
Regards,

Tim Royer
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Looks like Hoosiers it is then, unless my 13" wheels arrive in time! Thanks.

Grace
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

What class are you running? And what tires are you planning on running with the 13's? Slicks? What compond?
Regards,

Tim Royer
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

On the 13x7 wheels I was going to run the Goodyear G19 Sport's Car Special in the 2nd softest compound all around -- the R250 in 20.0X9.5-13. But I still need to put the wheels on the car and see what I have clearance for as far as tires go. The wheels are now not due in until 6/30 though (the wheels with the Hoosiers are 15x6.5, and I can't put a much wider tire on those I already have mounted).

I'm not quite sure of the class. It runs in E-Prepared in autocross, so SM and SP are out (bumpers and stripped interior disqualify it for SM, and a few other mods besides that kick it out of SP).

The 16V Scirocco doesn't have a Production listing, so the only place left seems to be GT-3. But since the weight for it is listed at 2300 lbs for the GT3 listing, the car is a little light (2100 lbs without driver, and I don't weigh 200 lbs!). And I really don't want to add ballast. If anything, I will be taking it down to it's minimum E-Prepared weight of 1800 lbs.

I did write to national to try to get it classed in Production, but in order to provide them with the specifications they need to class the car, I need to locate the MVMA/AAMA spec -- the shop manual has only about 15% of what they're looking for. I am still looking for it off and on...

Here is the info on the car if you want to try to class it:

1986 16V Scirocco
stock 1.8L 16V (DOHC 1780 cc) engine
Kirk Rollcage
lightened flywheel
Quaiffe LSD
adjustable cam sprocket
baffled oil pan
header with 2 1/4" exhaust
front and rear spherical bearings (Shine)
stock rear sway bar and shine torsion bar
techtonics rear upper strut bar
front neuspeed 21mm swaybar
Bilstein shocks / Shine coilover kit
camber plates (Shine)
Autotech fuel enrichment module
stock alternator with larger pulley
racing (lightweight) radiator
electric fan
Audi GT front bearings (5mm larger than stock)
stainless brake lines

Seems to fit nicely into E-Production...

Grace
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Post by eimc »

I ran the hoosieras305's at weatherly and they worked well. At the jefferson course i tried the hoosiers on sat and was a little loose. I switched to goodyear g-19 (450) for sunday and had much better results. The car is a golf in GT3 class. We will be parked at the fire tower at pagoda . Car is #46 white golf . Paul
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

Damn, I have a set of ULTRALIGHTWEIGHT 13x7's that should fit right on that... They were on a GT4 car before...

I also have a Shine prepped trans...

If you're interested, I might be able to bring the wheels, or if you want, you can come and see the other stuff I have (including a whole GT4 car) for sale- I live about 20 min from the hill...
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Well, you can never have too many sets of wheels or tires (which explains why my basement looks like a wheel and tire warehouse ;) )...

My problem with most of the 13x7's I've looked at is that they don't clear the calipers unless spaced out really far. But if you feel like bringing one wheel, we can see if it clears. My parents are also local to Pagoda, and they have a nice empty basement :)

Which transmission is it? My Scirocco's trans was recently done by Shine, but my other Scirocco's 1st and 2nd gear synchros are in bad shape, and I was thinking about doing something about it over next winter.

We will be 157 and 257 GT3.

Grace
joe s
Novice

Post by joe s »

Grace,
Would you be interested in the Hankook slicks. They have 2 soft compounds. They are availible in a 20X9R13.
Joe
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Hi Joe --

As a matter of fact, I corded the Goodyears at my last event last season (which is how I knew it was my last event :) and will be buying new tires soon...

Are the Hankooks cantilevered and will they fit on a 7" rim? The Goodyears I ended up with are 9.5" wide but cantilevered. Even so, I still needed a 25mm spacer up front in order to stuff them in my wheel wells and keep the insides from rubbing on anything when the wheel is turned.

Grace