Hoosier Tires

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

Champ
Novice

Hoosier Tires

Post by Champ »

I use 13" wheels on my Rabbit so tire choices are a bit limited. I've used Hoosier A3S04 autocross tires in the past and figured they'd be pretty good hill climb tires. Unfortunately, the only tire Hoosier makes that will fit my car is the R3S05.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who might know how the "R" Hoosiers compare with the "A" Hoosiers. Would the "R" heat up quickly enough on a hill?

Does anyone know of another option in a 205 x 13 tire? Kumho makes a 215 in their V710 but that might be a tight fit on my car. I've used V700's so I'm familiar with them.
#7 ITC
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

tires

Post by dspgti »

I'm not familiar with the Hoosier model numbers, but the Autocrossers are the only tire I would ever run on a hillclimb. Both the bias and radial are ideal. They don't need warming up, they are sticky at the first turn, have ideal sizes for 13" wheels( I run 225-45-13 not sure if they fit 6" wide wheels), good traction in the wet and should last a season or better. Only disadvantage that I saw was you can't run them on the track. They will cook away within a couple laps.
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

I was afraid the 225's would be too wide. But it they work for you they should work for me. We should soon have a chance to test fit them. I can still run my Goodyear GS-CS tires for track days. Do you run the Hoosiers at the Jefferson time trial events?
#7 ITC
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

tires

Post by dspgti »

No, the Autocrossers wont last. I tried once on the Jefferson track. They were corded and blistered in 3 laps. What I do is go over to the big track at Summit during one of the big races and dig out cast aways from the tire guys. I can usually get a track day or two out of them. Easy tire size to find since there are so many IT guys running there. ( I guess I'm giving away my secrets and we will all be fighting for tires now) Keep in mind that since I ran Street Prepared, I was allowed any wheel size. I ran 8" width with the 225(I had them on 7" as well). Since you are restricted to 6" you will have to check with a Hoosier guy to see what will work.

Dave Y.
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

Thanks for the info. If 225s fit under the fenders, that opens up the 215-50-13 tha Kumho makes. That'll work on a 6" wheel.
#7 ITC