Best way to tow from Reading to Rose Valley ?

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Best way to tow from Reading to Rose Valley ?

Post by Steve Tumolo »

What is the best way to tow from Reading to Rose Valley ? I am thinking 81 to 80 the whole way in. It looks a little bit longer on a map than going 183 but 183 is pretty hilly. Any suggestions ?
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

The "best" way is up 61 to Pottsville/Frackville, then get on 81N, take 80W, and get off at 15N.

That being said, I usually just tow all the way up 61.

After this past weekend, I'm thinking we'll probably run a new way. Take 61 up as far as Ashland. Then go straight on 54 (don't turn towards Centralia) and stay on 54 all the way through Danville to I-80. Jump on 80 west and go to 15N. Still a few hills, but a nicer tow than 61 through Shamokin and 15 through Lewisburg.
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

How far is Rose Valley from Reading for those of you towing?

I am not going to RV this year, but plan on attending next year.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
b yoder
Novice

Post by b yoder »

I think Matt's route (61, 54, etc.) is the most direct, as this is the way I typically go to my hunting cabin near Slate Run. There's going to be hills either way, although I myself was considering doing the 81/80 route (picking up 81 in Hazleton) (via 61, 895, 443, 309) to see if I could make up time by staying on the highway. Should take close to three hours or so?

I'm open to other possible routes. Chime in.
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

The best towing for you is either up to 81, 80, 180, 15. I have gone 78, merg 81s, 22, 11, 180, 15 before. That is the easiest from your end of Reading Steve, and it has the least hills. 22 and 11 are mostly 4 lanes now some lights through a couple towns but no biggy. The best on throttle all the route for you would be the northern route up to 80 but would take longer to get to 80. Going 61 towing really is a pain but it is the most direct way to go. I would say head to Harrisburg VIA 78w merg 81s, 22, 11, 180, 15. If you go the north route 81 don't miss 80. P.S. it will take longer if you see signs saying welcome to New York :roll: :wink:
Regards,

Tim Royer
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

IMHO, least amount of hills and most 4 lane is turnpike or 183/78 to Harrisburg, 322 to 11/15, 11/15 thru Willimasport. We've been towing to Wellsboro that way for 15 years. 11/15 is 4 lane all the way except for a couple of miles.
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Post by eimc »

:D Yo Brian I personaly think your best route to rose walley is take the Garden state Parkway to the New Jersey turnpike then make a left to all shore points ,head towards stone habour ,go to the intersection of Salt water & taffy streets and give me a call I'll guide you in from there. :lol: :?: :wink: :shock: Paul
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Best way to tow to Rose Valley

Post by Joe Foering »

I would suggest 61 to 895 to 443 to 309N to 81N to 80W to 180 to 15 to Trout Run. I have been doing car dealer trades up that way lately and 81 to 80 is pretty much non-stop UNLESS they're doing road work (and they have been lately)...still, I believe it's the easiest way.
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

It's interesting reading all of these different routes ... do you all at least agree on which road to race on during the event? :lol:
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

:shock:

I don't race on roads!! :shock:
Regards,

Tim Royer
greg hennigan
Novice

reading to rose vally

Post by greg hennigan »

61 north to schuykill haven over to cressona 901 to 54 and then to 80w. take 15 north. anyone interested in getting around new bridge construction in williamsport. when you get into south williamsport take a left onto 654 at the red light before you go across the bridge.stay on 654 or southern ave till you get to the next light (maynard street) turn right across the bridge , under the under pass (left lane) turn left up onto the beltway (180/15n) onward to trout run. hope to be there spectating.
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Rose Valley from Reading is a snap. Somebody find me a Magic Road from Atlantic City! Turnpike to I-80 -Ugh! Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Sue,

At least you are going the right way! Now that I work in NJ, I have found out that the state becomes a ugly mess on Fridays; especially, when the Burlington-Bristol has a bridge opening during rush hour!

As far as going to Rose Valley, there is no easy way to get there from anywhere and I have tryed just about all of the routes going to Penn College and United Rentals(Turbotville branch).

Rich Sweigart
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

Sue,
are you forgetting the rules of NJ, "You can't get There from here" Where else do you have to turn right to go left.
THOR
b yoder
Novice

Post by b yoder »

Yo Brian I personaly think your best route to rose walley is take the Garden state Parkway to the New Jersey turnpike then make a left to all shore points ,head towards stone habour ,go to the intersection of Salt water & taffy streets and give me a call I'll guide you in from there. Paul
After carefully considering Paul's above advice :shock: , I think I'll go w/ Joe F's instead, as this was my original thought. Thank you.

I would suggest 61 to 895 to 443 to 309N to 81N to 80W to 180 to 15 to Trout Run. I have been doing car dealer trades up that way lately and 81 to 80 is pretty much non-stop UNLESS they're doing road work (and they have been lately)...still, I believe it's the easiest way.

Paul, What kind of taffy and fudge do you like? :lol:
rallynutdon
Novice

Re: reading to rose vally

Post by rallynutdon »

greg hennigan wrote:61 north to schuykill haven over to cressona 901 to 54 and then to 80w..
If you've done this towing, tow vehicle, spares, dual axle trailer and race car, please let me know how long it took you and how much you enjoyed all the 2 lane and hills. I'm really cursious. Because I know this road and use it when not towing (901/54) but I would never tow that route!
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

LOL well after starting this hot topic I have found out that I have to work this weekend. So have fun all and be safe!.

BTW it really sucks when you are by yourself towing on 81 first getting excited because you see all these different race cars being towed. Thinking they are going to the same venue as you. Then seeing signs for Cracker Barrel in NEW YORK :shock: . I missed the exit to 80 and by the time I realized it I was at the last exit in PA. The cars I saw on trailers were going to the Glen. I got out a map and found a way to Rose Valley on a little back road. When I left work I figured I would be there by 7:00pm at the latest. I got there after 11:00pm :shock: .
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
tupdegrove
Novice

Re: Best way from Allentown area

Post by tupdegrove »

I read the suggestions here, looked at a map, and came up with a slight variation from the Allentown area. I took Rt. 476N (Northeast Extension) to Rt. 209S into Jim Thorpe. Then Rt. 93 towards Hazelton (same way I go to Weatherly). Just before entering Hazelton, I spotted a "To 81" sign and made a left on Rt. 424 which goes about 3 miles until it connects with Rt. 81. There were very few lights and this turned out to be an excellent way around all the lights and low speed limits in Hazelton. Of course, take Rt. 81N and Rt. 80W.

It was exactly 150 miles and driving 65mph most of the way, made it in 2 1/2 hours leaving at 6:45am. Route 93 might not be the best tow route as there were at least two large hills.

Tim Updegrove