Oscar Koveleski

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Rich Rock
Racer

Oscar Koveleski

Post by Rich Rock »

SCCA Hall of Fame member Oscar Koveleski passed away on Monday December 28 at the age of 88.

Among his many racing accomplishments, Oscar had FTD at Giants a few times, was the first to break the one minute mark at Weatherly, and the two minute mark at Duryea (1976). The internet is full of stories about him and they make for interesting and entertaining reading. Of all the words I've heard to describe him, "irrepressible" seems best to me.

I first met him many years ago at Giants, where he would often show up to hang out, talk to people, and promote whatever he was doing at the time. I can't find it now, but I used to have a picture of him, taken in the pits at Giants, pointing to the PRDA sticker on my TVR. At one of the Saturday evening Giants dinners I asked him about the Cannonball Baker Chevy van, and happily listened as he recounted the whole story.

I received my new SCCA membership card on Tuesday. I looked in my wallet for the old one and found it alongside my worn and tattered PRDA membership card, which I've had for a looooong time, just never wanted to set it aside. I smiled and decided to keep it there for another year. Less than ten minutes later, I learned of Oscar's passing. That was weird. I think I'll have it laminated before it turns to dust.

Farewell, Oscar.