Oscar Koveleski

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Rich Rock
Racer

Oscar Koveleski

Post by Rich Rock »

SCCA has announced the names of five people who will be inducted into the SCCA Hall of Fame in 2015, and one of them is Oscar Koveleski. It's been at least a few decades since Oscar ran the hills, but he still comes to Giants regularly. His resume is long, including being the first to break the two minute mark at Duryea. That was in 1976, driving a McLaren.

Congratulations to Oscar!
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Re: Oscar Koveleski

Post by Sue Salsburg »

And WE never put him in our HOF! One of my perpetual rants. I was once told that no one would put up with his acceptance "speech". Some forget the times he bailed out the Giant & how many he helped get their start in racing. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
sgmotorsports
Novice

Post by sgmotorsports »

Please keep in mind that ANYONE can nominate an individual for the PHA Hall of Fame. Oscar is certainly deserving. Complete a form and submit it for consideration for this year.

Carol
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

I have wonderful memories of Oscar, Bud Faust and Bill McDaniels from an era long ago when I was a student at Wilkes and hung out at Faust's garage in Kingston. Sonny Gibbons appeared occasionally, and somewhat later Jack Darin. Many others as well, Noble, Weber, etc. How could one not get into racing after meeting that crowd?
Congrats Oscar, long overdue.

John
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Post by TKnorr »

Former PHA Drivers such as Oscar Koveleski, add creditability to PHA because of their involvement in professional racing at the highest level. In the case of Oscar, he competed in the Cam Am Series from 1969 to 1972. Others include Al Loquasta (Indianapolis 500) and Hal Keck (2nd place - 24 hours of Daytona). All three competed in PHA Hillclimbs for many years.
Tom Knorr
Tom Knorr
geowit
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 103
Current Racecar: #103 '85 Mazda RX-7 ITS

Post by geowit »

Here's a plug for Kerry Hitt who is still competing in Trans-Am.
Thanks,
Geo.
#103 '85 Mazda RX-7 ITS
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Sue Salsburg wrote:And WE never put him in our HOF! One of my perpetual rants. I was once told that no one would put up with his acceptance "speech". Some forget the times he bailed out the Giant & how many he helped get their start in racing. Sue
Let's make it happen this year.

I nominated him several years ago, apparently there are some who feel he used racing to promote his business (WTF???) I always thought he used his business to promote racing.

I watched him in the '60s at Hershey in the Super Cooper.

Long may he wave.
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

sgmotorsports wrote:Please keep in mind that ANYONE can nominate an individual for the PHA Hall of Fame. Oscar is certainly deserving. Complete a form and submit it for consideration for this year.

Carol
Can someone point the proper form my way? Or will a simple letter do?
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

It's on the main PHA website - the shortcut is http://pahillclimb.org/wp-content/uploa ... -AWARD.pdf
~Matt Rowe