Never Done A Hill Climb/Class/Safety Questions

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

sqidd
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 78

Never Done A Hill Climb/Class/Safety Questions

Post by sqidd »

Howdy all

I’ve never done a hill climb before. And I’m new to “driving”. I don’t have a ton of track experience in a car, but I do have 10yrs of motorcycle roadracing under my belt. I’ve won championships, lots of races, set some lap records, etc. So I’m “new”, but by no means inexperienced.

This hill climb deal looks like a lot of fun and is right up the alley of my current “race car”. Really you would think I was thinking of doing hill climbs when I build (but I didn’t).

I’m of course going to need to figure out what I need to do to get a license, but that is no big deal. My question(s) is about my car, what class it would fit in and what the safety requirements are. I looked through some of the rules but to be honest I’m a little lost and I didn’t see much about safety requirements. I’m hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

The car is a 2007 Mustang that is nowhere near stock. It will make 600-1000hp depending on how much boost I put to it, the rear end has a Watts link opposed to the OEM panhard bar arrangement, big brakes, big cooling, etc. I’m guessing this will go in some sort of “open” class.

I don’t have a ton of safety stuff either. I have a roll bar, a good one, but it is no cage. It has race seats and 5 point harnesses and a couple of fire extinguishers.

What do I need? What class would it fit in? Thanks!
SteveTC
Novice

Re: Never Done A Hill Climb/Class/Safety Questions

Post by SteveTC »

Welcome to the group. Here is a link to most of our rules. http://pahillclimb.org/rules/
The supplementals have info on requirements. If car can fit into Street Mod class, which it may not because of suspension mods, then you would have to look at GCR classes to see if it fits within any of those categories that we have listed in the supplemental rules. If the car is prepped beyond any of those classes, then it would need to go into specials. If that is the case, then it would need a full race cage installed. If you have seats changed and it is not an FIA seat, then it will need to be braced to the roll cage. The cage needs a diagonal in the hoop and needs to be of sufficient size for the weight of the car. Fire extinguisher needs are spelled out in the rules, main thing is a metal mounting bracket and sufficient size and chemistry. License starts via time trial permit if you do not have an SCCA or competing license in a car. This can be done via SCCA.com or at your first race. You will need a full race suit that with underwear unless it is 3-layer. You will also need arm restraints or window net and SA 2010 helmet. Hope that is a good start for you.
sqidd
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 78

Post by sqidd »

SteveTC wrote:Welcome to the group. Here is a link to most of our rules. http://pahillclimb.org/rules/
The supplementals have info on requirements. If car can fit into Street Mod class, which it may not because of suspension mods, then you would have to look at GCR classes to see if it fits within any of those categories that we have listed in the supplemental rules. If the car is prepped beyond any of those classes, then it would need to go into specials. If that is the case, then it would need a full race cage installed. If you have seats changed and it is not an FIA seat, then it will need to be braced to the roll cage. The cage needs a diagonal in the hoop and needs to be of sufficient size for the weight of the car. Fire extinguisher needs are spelled out in the rules, main thing is a metal mounting bracket and sufficient size and chemistry. License starts via time trial permit if you do not have an SCCA or competing license in a car. This can be done via SCCA.com or at your first race. You will need a full race suit that with underwear unless it is 3-layer. You will also need arm restraints or window net and SA 2010 helmet. Hope that is a good start for you.
What is a GCR Class?
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

General Competition Rules: http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44472
Basically cars that race wheel to wheel.