I am not making this up...

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Mel Horn
Novice

I am not making this up...

Post by Mel Horn »

The City of Harrisburg, that model of fiscal responsibility, will be assessing a Vehicle Extrication Fee of $500 for accident victims.

What astounded me was the apparent statement by a city official that fatalities are not subject to extrication. (I hope he means subject to the fee).
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Re: I am not making this up...

Post by FV95 »

Hmmm. There are those who are "victims" of "accidents,"" and those who are the cause of accidents. So, should the poor, hapless victim, t-boned by a drug addled member of the indiginous population have to pay? Or should the driver who gets cited, pay for both? The population of H'burg elected those making up the rules. Hopefully they paid attention to details.
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

FV95 wrote:Hmmm. There are those who are "victims" of "accidents,"" and those who are the cause of accidents. So, should the poor, hapless victim, t-boned by a drug addled member of the indiginous population have to pay? Or should the driver who gets cited, pay for both? The population of H'burg elected those making up the rules. Hopefully they paid attention to details.
From what I've seen the driver at fault is responsible.
What concerns me also, given the predatory nature of Pennsylvania government at all levels (don't get me started..suffice to say the Commonwealth never met a revenue stream it didn't like...) is the possibility of someone skidding on ice, hitting a curb, maybe getting a flat tire; and all of a sudden their roof's getting cut off...
Or if someone opens your door and helps you out of the car, is that considered "extrication"?
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

A new PA law went into effect in September. Under the new Vehicles Law section, "Obedience to traffic control devices warning of hazardous conditions," those who drive around or through signs closing a road due to existing or potentially hazardous conditions will have two points placed on their driving records and be fined up to $250. If emergency dispatchers need to be dispatched because of the violation the fine is increased to up to $500.

Anyone convicted of the violation "shall be sentenced to pay restitution in an amount equal to the the cost of police and fire response and emergency medical service or emergency preparedness response resulting from the offense". No limit is specified.

The law aims to increase safety for motorists and emergency responders in arras where flooding or other hazardous conditions exist.

Sounds like the city of Harrisburg is trying to get their share of $$ on the back of this new state law. I expect other jurisdictions will do the same.
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

I hope like Hell that doesn't apply to Hill Climbs, I could go broke! :lol:
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

That actually sounds as though a person driving thru or removing a barricade is liable for any issues they cause? Or am I missing something?

Assuming I've got right, it still seems to have no relation to Mel's first post? Unless we are talking about making whoever wrecks responsible for event cleanup?
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

On the bright side if we can get our hills to be considered "hazardous road conditions" there is a real penalty to discourage the non-event people that ignore our barricades.
~Matt Rowe
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

Matt Rowe wrote:On the bright side if we can get our hills to be considered "hazardous road conditions" there is a real penalty to discourage the non-event people that ignore our barricades.

We could impose the death penalty :lol:
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

If you want to get really extreme we could just force them to let "Bad Matt" drive their car away from the hill. :shock:
~Matt Rowe