Hilclimb possibilities

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Hilclimb possibilities

Post by mrevilracing »

A buddy of mine from the Mach1registry sent me a video of a road near him that has some possibilities for a new hillclimb. So I've loaded it onto youtube ( http://youtu.be/KFkSE3cnAY8 ) and you can click on that link to see it. While I believe the road may need some spots re-worked, for the most part, it looks very challenging.

Obviously, there are logistical issues that need to be considered. But that's not what this is about just yet. IF there is enough consideration for this road (somewhere near McVeytown, PA), I'll go up and drive it and start to look at those issues that would need to be considered (homes, alternative routes around, pits, turn around, lodging(if needed), corner worker locations, etc).

By the way, a big thanks to Jeff for going out, taking the video and sending it to me. Much appreciated.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Tim Royer
Novice

Re: Hilclimb possibilities

Post by Tim Royer »

I would first contact the SCCA region where the hill is located to see if they have any interest. You would need to have them agree to hold an event. The biggest issues with a new hill are signatures from every land owner that is along the route from pit area to turnaround. Then a willing township, boro, or city counsel to also sign for the event. (either one of these you should provide them with a copy of SCCA' s insurance policy). You would need a region to apply for SCCA sanction. (shouldn't be an issue). Local support of the event is a big plus with all the work that would be needed to run it. Getting fire companies, or clubs in the local area is a big bonus. NeDiv Safety Stewart would have to approve the hill and the layout of corner stations and any start/finish area along with pits and turnaround.

It's not impossible, but it will take many pieces of the puzzle to come together just right.

Good luck!

+1 Support
Regards,

Tim Royer
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Re: Hilclimb possibilities

Post by Matt Rowe »

A few thoughts,

First, the hill looks like a lot of fun for street cars, I would be a little worried about the formula cars based on some of the ripples and possibly the crown in the road but it has possibilities. What was the distance and elevation change? I only saw a couple of driveways on the hill so permission may not be a big problem. Is there an alternate route that the locals can use if this route is shut down for the day?

Second, a few key areas to consider are pits, corner stations and turn around. I couldn't get a sense of the pits and start line area, corner stations might be tough given the step up hill side and limited room to stand downhill but we have dealt with those before so it's not necessarily a showstopper. Turn around has some possibilities.

Third, a local willing to work approvals, coordinate prep work and glad hand the locals is critical, even more than the support of the local region.

It looks like an interesting lead.
~Matt Rowe