Entry lists for Hillclimb events.

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Re: Entry lists for Hillclimb events.

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Tim- took me forever to figure out who stat boy was! Didn't know that was your bro driving the white TR. You'd think I could at least keep the other Brit cars straight. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Mary Anne Fieux wrote:
Rich Rock wrote: Brook made 100 copies and I think we threw out 97
Nelson wrote:I would print up 100 copies of the pre-registered entries and have them at registration. At the end of the event I would throw away about 95.
As the rally dude suggested, placing the list in the driver's bags (if there is one for the event), physically giving the driver a copy at registration whether pre-registered or not (list could be placed with their pre-registration file), or posting the list on the Forum would be a good thing. Afterall, Whitman dude is always looking for information to post on the PHA website.

Any list is better than no list. Rally dude's idea isn't such a bad thing.
I think you're making a couple of assumptions here.

First, the myautoevents listings often shows only those who have registered online, and does not include mail-in entries. It is up to the registrar to manually enter the mail in entries, and is an extra manual effort that not all registrars have time to do.

Second, the registration list that Nelson could produce comes out of AxWare, the timing software. He manually enters all of the entries into AxWare. This often isn't done until Saturday morning.

Third, even if the entries were entered into myautoevents and printed from there, you are still talking about asking some one to print out a bunch of copies to insert them into drivers packets. Given the past interest -- 5% -- I would hesitate to ask our event organizers to make this effort, especially since it's the same 5 or 6 people who do most of the work at every event.

I agree that it isn't a bad idea, but again, I hesitate to add a task to the already burdened event organizers that has given only a small return in the past when tried. Perhaps a good compromise is to ask Nelson to print out one copy of the registration list on Saturday morning to hang on the board where he posts the time slips. Or maybe someone will volunteer to take this on for all future events, and can coordinate with the registrar and chief of timing (aka Nelson) to make this happen.

Grace
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Sue Salsburg wrote:Tim- took me forever to figure out who stat boy was! Didn't know that was your bro driving the white TR. You'd think I could at least keep the other Brit cars straight. Sue
The interesting thing Sue, is that everyone seems to remember who you and I are, as well as the other female drivers (although the strange thing is that there have been several cases where I was confused with your car since we share the same name).

I think this means there aren't enough of us :)

Grace
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

gdh57 wrote:Perhaps a good compromise is to ask Nelson to print out one copy of the registration list on Saturday morning to hang on the board where he posts the time slips. Or maybe someone will volunteer to take this on for all future events, and can coordinate with the registrar and chief of timing (aka Nelson) to make this happen.

Grace
This, would at least be a good start. And look at the myautoevents listing for Pagoda. Several different spellings for Historic 1 class (so how accurate can it really be). And without the ability of checking all the classes (since I really aren't that familiar with them) I know of at least one class listing that was totally inaccurate (Alex Kihurani was listed as Rally class and that's not what he ran).
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

gdh57 wrote:I think you're making a couple of assumptions here.
Grace, you are right, I was unaware that the registration list was pulled from so many sources. Thought it was a doable thing.

Chuck had informed me that these lists were in the driver's bag and/or program for each event when his father used to run these events, way back when. Just to let you know, how long ago that was, the list was copied via a mimeograph machine. Thought the initial idea by Rally Dude was a good idea which could have been pulled off. I just thought that with the advent of computerization there might be an easier way to provide the list to the drivers.
sdwarf36 wrote:" I was talking at the top of the hill to James-"
"Who?"
"James Bond"
"Huh?"
"You know-the guy with the union jack TR-7."
"Ohhhh-ok".
STAT BOY wrote:My name is Bond........James Bond!
Thank God for those with humor! Sometimes I get way too serious.

Mary Anne
(the driver of the not-so-serious orange SAAB!)
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

rallynutdon wrote:
gdh57 wrote:Perhaps a good compromise is to ask Nelson to print out one copy of the registration list on Saturday morning to hang on the board where he posts the time slips. Or maybe someone will volunteer to take this on for all future events, and can coordinate with the registrar and chief of timing (aka Nelson) to make this happen.

Grace
This, would at least be a good start. And look at the myautoevents listing for Pagoda. Several different spellings for Historic 1 class (so how accurate can it really be). And without the ability of checking all the classes (since I really aren't that familiar with them) I know of at least one class listing that was totally inaccurate (Alex Kihurani was listed as Rally class and that's not what he ran).
A start? Was I not clear when I said that the information that you are looking to have included in the driver packet is not available until just before the event starts on Saturday? And the mistakes you list are yet another reason why the myautoevents data is not complete -- not only missing entries, but could have wrong classes or wrong numbers. This does not get corrected until the day of the event. So I really don't know what you are expecting the organizers to do.

A suggestion: Since you are so interested in seeing this done, why not volunteer yourself to go onto myautoevents and print out copies of the incomplete list that is THE ONLY DATA available, and supply it to the registrar for distribution at registration for those that are interested?
McDallion
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 43

Post by McDallion »

In the golden age of hill climbing to which all the OFs keep referring, all that professional looking printed stuff was coming straight out of Zerox. I'm not sure if they knew they were sponsoring us or not.
Don
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

gdh57 wrote:
rallynutdon wrote:

Grace
A start? Was I not clear when I said that the information that you are looking to have included in the driver packet is not available until just before the event starts on Saturday? And the mistakes you list are yet another reason why the myautoevents data is not complete -- not only missing entries, but could have wrong classes or wrong numbers. This does not get corrected until the day of the event. So I really don't know what you are expecting the organizers to do.

A suggestion: Since you are so interested in seeing this done, why not volunteer yourself to go onto myautoevents and print out copies of the incomplete list that is THE ONLY DATA available, and supply it to the registrar for distribution at registration for those that are interested?
I don't think you totally read what I said was a good start. Reread the first sentence, which is what I asked for for a start (I'll copy it here, "Perhaps a good compromise is to ask Nelson to print out one copy of the registration list on Saturday morning to hang on the board where he posts the time slips.") That shouldn't be too difficult. And I can't believe that there is not a relatively complete accurate list available Friday (which obviously wouldn't include walkups). But I've said my piece and I'll say no more. If PHA want's to stay in the dark ages and not be friendly, so be it.
And one more thing. Don't you think there would be some advantage to having a list available for the spectating public to view? I can see a potential situation. After looking at the entry list, Sam Spectator says "Oh, I didn't realize my neighbor Fred Competitor is running hillclimbs! I guess I should go try to find him in the pits and see how he's doing. And maybe I'll talk to him and see how difficult it is to do this."
Whatever. I'll say no more. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

print out the perment number list, most are on it
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

"Whatever. I'll say no more." I sure hope so!
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

I think RallyNut would like to see things progress as we all do.
I think it was a good suggestion and maybe something can be done to this effect in the future.
It would be great to have a big screen at the start line with the drivers pictures and information with Al Michaels commentating. No offense Joe and Mike!
And some day we may have something like this, but for now the few people that make an event happen have so much on their plates to worry about.
They really could use some more volunteers to help improve things.
We are really fortunate to have the Rich Rocks, Grace Huntzingers, Nelson Kases and all of the other workers that make our events possible.
The forum is a great place to discuss these ideas, but the meetings are where you can volunteer and take on some of these issues.
The bottom line is we need more regular volunteers to make more improvements possible.
Look at what has been happening at Weatherly, Pagoda, Duryea with the added events and the additional people participating.
Things are definitely going in the right direction and hillclimbing in Pennsylvania is only going to get bigger and benefit from our efforts.
Thanks to all of the organizers, workers, and drivers of the PHA!
neonracer193
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 193
Current Racecar: 95 Neon ACR

Post by neonracer193 »

Hello, my name is Kendrick and I am a raceaholic :)

Stop by and say hello (black BMW or red/wht neon)

With walk-up registration I cant see how we could hand out a driver list at registration(well I guess we could it just wouldnt have the walk-ups on it). There is a very large group of competitors that make it to most events who could be on some sort of ID sheet. But then the people who didnt make it on that list would feel left out. It did take me 4.5 years, but I bet I could ID 85% of the regular drivers just from hanging out at the hills.
Kendrick
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

rallynutdon wrote: I don't think you totally read what I said was a good start. Reread the first sentence, which is what I asked for for a start (I'll copy it here, "Perhaps a good compromise is to ask Nelson to print out one copy of the registration list on Saturday morning to hang on the board where he posts the time slips.") That shouldn't be too difficult. And I can't believe that there is not a relatively complete accurate list available Friday (which obviously wouldn't include walkups). But I've said my piece and I'll say no more. If PHA want's to stay in the dark ages and not be friendly, so be it.
And one more thing. Don't you think there would be some advantage to having a list available for the spectating public to view? I can see a potential situation. After looking at the entry list, Sam Spectator says "Oh, I didn't realize my neighbor Fred Competitor is running hillclimbs! I guess I should go try to find him in the pits and see how he's doing. And maybe I'll talk to him and see how difficult it is to do this."
Whatever. I'll say no more. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I am pretty sure you didn't read what I said at all, or at least didn't understand it. Sorry if you find us unfriendly, but the bottom line is that the info you are looking for is not available at the time you want it to be available. This is not unfriendliness, this is a fact. The only info available Fri night is the data from my autoevents, and you yourself complained that it was not accurate. Perhaps Nelson could print a complete list Sat morning after he has registration completed, but given your attitude, I am not inclined to ask him.

Grace
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Very well said Grace!
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

I'm going to break my vow of silence because many of you aren't making any sense. You don't want to make any changes, everything is just fine the way you've been doing things in recent years. Interesting. All I'm asking for is an entry list to be posted sometime Saturday morning, doesn't even need to be first thing. I'll ask Nelson myself, I know him and many others for a long time. In case anyone is interested, I've been involved with BMR and Duryea for over 40 years. I'm not the new kid on the block who doesn't know a darn thing about the sport. I don't have an attitude. I just see a opportunity for improvement with something relatively simple and there are several advantages to this being posted that are not fulfilled by either myautoevents or the permanent car number list .
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

Thanks for posting the entry list Saturday morning. I saw several people look at it Saturday. And of course Sunday alot of people looked because it had Saturdays times on it. And once, when walking past the Skyline volunteer collecting donations, I heard a specatator ask if there was a list anywhere of who was running. The volunteer didn't know (no fault of his) but I was able to tell the gentleman that there was a list by the starting line.