1301 Halon Fire System

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

1301 Halon Fire System

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Having a hard time finding someone local to re-fill my fire system. Any ideas? Is this thing obsolete? Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Champ
Novice

Halon Fire Systems

Post by Champ »

I contacted the importer for my halon system and was told they are no longer refilling them. And the soapy water that's replaced halon is bulkier so your bottle will be larger. I've got a new bottle and bracket on order that will hopefully be here in time for Jeff.
#7 ITC
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Champ,

I hope you are also planning on new nozzles too. Since the AFFF (soapy water) systems use a liquid instead of a gas the halon nozzle don't work properly. Or at least everything I have read has said that the entire system usually needs to be changed.

Sue,

The latest information I've seen says that while Halon is no longer being manufactured (at least in the USA) the stockpiles are pretty high so you shold be able to find a place to refill it. It's not like the club racers have all had to throw out their systems so someone must be recharging them.
~Matt Rowe
Champ
Novice

1301 Halon Fire System

Post by Champ »

I'll talk to the supplier about the nozzles. That shouldn't be a big problem. What upsets me is that the tree huggers are making us give up an excellent fire suppression system for one that is not as effective. Don't you suppose a flaming car polutes a little worse than than an inert gas? Hell, the soapy water will probably wash into the Chesapeake and kill a snail darter.
#7 ITC
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Sue, another place to try is your local fire dept. Some have refilling stations on site.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

Matt:
You are right about the nozzles. They are very different for the new systems. And more expensive. There is a little device inside the new nozzles that spins and acts as an agitator to increase the foaming action of the new suppressant.

Sue:
I hope you and anyone else are successful in finding halon. The conversion to a new system ain't cheap!
#7 ITC
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

I am about to buy a new system for my car and I found out that a new A triple F system is only about $20-$30 more than a new Halon system. And you can refill AFFF by yourself. I was asking a guy I work with (Who is a Fire Chief) about AFFF and he said that the pluses to AFFF out weigh the minuses. But one big minus is that it is HIGHLY corrosive. If you have to use it, it needs to be rinsed out ASAP.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang