I did it !!! Pikes Peak here I come.

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

s4racing06
Novice

I did it !!! Pikes Peak here I come.

Post by s4racing06 »

As many of you know, I have talked about entering the Pikes Peak Hill Climb many times. A few years back I even bought a car (my 97 A4 Rally car) for that purpose. I then discovered how slow a stock 1.8T is compared to a 2.7TT and decided I didn't want to travel half way across the country to compete in a car that I can outrun on foot. 2012 marks the first year that the entire Pike’s Peak course will be paved. So the Yellow #06 Audi will be right at home. Also, to really seal the deal 2012 marks the 25TH anniversary of Audi's last win at Pikes Peak. This is also the last real factory effort of any Group B rally car. Audi and the Audi Club of America are going to have a lot of things going on all week.

So I'm on the entry list http://director.usacracing.com/ppihc/fi ... r_list.pdf and I am very excited about the trip. At this point, I am planning on taking the RV and probably leaving Carlisle sometime around June 26th to be there for registration on July 3rd. Practice is July 4th, 5th and 6th and the main event is July 8th. There is a lot of work to be done on both the car and myself in the meantime, but I am really looking forward to the challenge.

If you have never seen this event in person you have to put it on your list. I was out a few years ago and there is really no way to put it in words. I know we all have different views on the best motorsport in the world, but to me Pikes Peak has to be it. I would love to have some support if anyone thinks they can make it. If you have any questions about travel or where to stay I would be happy to help. Hotels are reasonable and airfare is usually pretty cheap into Salt Lake City, UT. Also if anybody would like to participate, I have made a few contacts.

Wish me luck and I will keep you posted as the adventure progresses,

Bill III

PS a few of my favorite PP videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRstWxPz ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-K1B4sT ... re=related
georgebowland
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 114
Current Racecar: Bowland Boys Racing Shark
Special I

Re: I did it !!! Pikes Peak here I come.

Post by georgebowland »

Great news!!!! We will all be pulling for you in July.
George
s4racing06
Novice

Post by s4racing06 »

Come out and join us !!!!
georgebowland
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 114
Current Racecar: Bowland Boys Racing Shark
Special I

Post by georgebowland »

I have slight limitations: Engine, Cooling, Fuel, Belt and a driver that has about 2.5 miles as a limit. And trying to breath at 14,500 feet.
George
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

good luck Bill, give them hell, show them what kind of hillclimbers PA breeds
s4racing06
Novice

Post by s4racing06 »

George : I agree with the altitude. When I was out a few years ago I had issues above 10,000 feet. We didn't spend any time acclimating ourselves though. A friend and I left Harrisburg, flew to Salt Lake, went to the beer and liquor store, and drove to the top of the mountain. LOL I later found out that was probably the worst thing that we could do. This time I am going to lose 20lbs, stop drinking for 30 days prior, arrive a week early and probably use oxygen just to be on the safe side. So did I change your mind yet? LOL

I really have no idea what to expect as far as competition. The most important things will to make sure that the car is comfortable and reliable. We all know some of the issues that I was dealing with at Duryea. I did find out since then, that Clutch Masters sent the wrong bolts with the new twin plate clutch. They were too long and began to shear at Duryea and totally let go a few weeks later at Watkins Glen. The car is apart now waiting for Clutch Masters to stand behind the issue and it appears that they will. I had also upgraded all of the axles prior to Watkins. While it is apart, I am sending the shocks out to hopefully correct an issue that the car has had since the jump at Weatherly a few years ago. The brakes are never an issue and I'm sure will be fine for PP. Now that the motor is broke-in, we can probably tune for another 70 or so HP. With all of that being said I am really going to take it easy when I first get on the mountain. Practice is divided into 3 sections, for a few hours, over 3 days. I will then determine what my comfort level is going to be. To be honest the mountain was scary as hell in the SUV rental that I drove up in. LOL However, I'm sure when the time comes I will be as determined as ever, not to have someone in front of me.
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

First off: Good Luck Bill! It will be a hoot and hell of a lot more!

Secondly:
georgebowland wrote:I have slight limitations: Engine, Cooling, Fuel, Belt and a driver that has about 2.5 miles as a limit. And trying to breath at 14,500 feet.
George
Now really George....put this sick vision into your head......the orange 2-stroke, 3 cylinder, 1960 SAAB 93F ring-a-ding-dinging up PP spewing its gas-oil mix (with a touch of Castor Oil for nostalgic purposes) over the pristine land. Oh, and regarding altitude, both Chuck and I are asthmatics......but you know what? We would go for it, in a flash! 8)

Bill, can't wait to hear the report even though it is a bit down the road. Good luck in your preparations too!
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
1450Racing
Novice

Post by 1450Racing »

Make sure you plumb the car for a water sprayer system. Back in '04 and '05 my friend ran his rallycar up Pike's Peak. With a virtually stock 1.8T he pinned the temp gauges early on in each run. I helped him set up a sprayer system for the intercooler, oil cooler, and radiator. We used 5 gallons of water per full run! Still ran hot, comparatively. The more power you make, the more critical this becomes.

For comparison, the temp gauge never budged during all the years he rallied. Pike's Peak is another world.
Bob Legere
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

That's great news Bill! It is very to cool to see you get out there to race such an awsome hill. I'm not too far behind but i don't think i can do it this year. I might be able to make it out to lend a hand, i will let you kno!

As far as competition in time attack (which i see is were your registered) there are a few things here. I think the biggest is that most to drivers have run the hill before. And, you kno how that goes. Dave Kearns and I believe Jeff Denmeade are running this year which have both run and won the class before. Dave has run the hill i belive 4 years now and is really going for the TA record this year. This is in a 650hp EVO. And Jeff is bringing something with alot of HP i believe. So, bring as much HP as you can. (this is a big reason i dont want to run it yet).

With that being said. I bet you'll kick ass! Your car is perfect for the hill and i kno the PHA will be represented well.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
s4racing06
Novice

Post by s4racing06 »

Hey thanks guys, I look forward to and appreciate all (almost all LOL) input. I have already started to try and get some media coverage and everybody has been very receptive thus far. I will certainly try to mention PHA as much as possible.

Jeremy: Experience on this particular hill will in fact, I believe be key. As you know, I am not the "right out of the box" guy either and with only having one full run I'm sure this will be a disadvantage for me. As far as power, my tuner is pretty confident that he can produce near 700 HP with only a turbo and tuning change. I did go overboard on the build quality for the last motor, so the internals are there. I am just anxious to see what happens to the torque. As I stated previously I really want good consistent reliability over ultimate power. The last thing I want to do is work on or be worried about the car while I am out there. I think I may try to stay around the 550 mark on HP. If I get one year under my belt and want to try again I may get more serious. Besides I need to save some motor for Duryea. I have a record I need to get back in August !!! :lol:
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

(Unless I'm mistaken) I see you're entered in the Sno*Drift rallye. Good luck and don't forget, to finish first you must first finish. That white stuff can be very slippery, particularly the stuff under the white stuff.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Pikes Peak has been postponed due to the forest fires in the area. New date to be announced on Tuesday! Hope you still plan to go, whenever it is, Bill.
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

Did you make it to the hillclimb?
I saw this post, thought it was your car?
I hope you made it!
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-pik ... o-5203128/

Dale